Fall 2012 Applications

- Eileen -

I submitted on 1/5/12 and my application was complete as of 1/9/12...

My application was complete the same day. Did your status online change to "under review" or anything? Mine just says submitted. Also if you would be okay sharing your GPA so I know if I have a shot? Mazel tov on the acceptance :)

My application was complete the same day. Did your status online change to "under review" or anything? Mine just says submitted. Also if you would be okay sharing your GPA so I know if I have a shot? Mazel tov on the acceptance :)

Hi there!

Nope, my online status only changed when I received the acceptance. A prompt appeared at the bottom of my application webpage, which said "Decision Status" with a link to the acceptance letter.

I have a 3.2 overall GPA and a 3.6 GPA for my major. I was concerned about my overall GPA since it's only slightly above the 3.0 minimum most social work schools require. I've been out of school for close to nine years and have accumulated a ton of work and volunteer experience since, including two years of volunteer work as a mentor for Big Brothers Big Sisters, so I think that may have helped.

Good luck as you await your decision!

Good luck Columbia folks! I applied on jan 3rd and got accepted yesterday.

i only had a 3.3 GPA, but pretty good experience (i've been in americorps the past 2 years) and a strong essay. essay & experience will matter more than your gpa!

i dont know if i can afford the tuition or nyc. probably not. i also applied to UW (i live in seattle), BU & Hunter. I have not heard from anywhere else yet!

For Penn's 2 year MSW program I was awarded $10k for Dean's Merit Award and $2k for SP2 Award = $12k total.

This sounds pretty standard right? It's still a small amount relative to the total cost of both years which is around 80k, right? Any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks in advance!

For Penn's 2 year MSW program I was awarded $10k for Dean's Merit Award and $2k for SP2 Award = $12k total.

This sounds pretty standard right? It's still a small amount relative to the total cost of both years which is around 80k, right? Any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks in advance!

How did you find your scholarship information? When they called and admitted me they told me I had been awarded a scholarship, but that I would find the information in my acceptance packet, which I am still waiting for... Is there any way to find this information out online?

How did you find your scholarship information? When they called and admitted me they told me I had been awarded a scholarship, but that I would find the information in my acceptance packet, which I am still waiting for... Is there any way to find this information out online?

Log onto the application portal and you should be able to view your letter.

Thanks in advance!

Awards are renewed automatically the second year from what my friend tells me (she's finishing up her second year). So $24,000 for 2 years seems pretty good, but Idk how much your other school willow offer. Good luck!!

Log onto the application portal and you should be able to view your letter.

Hmm, it only let me see the acceptance letter. The admissions dean was the one who called and informed me of my acceptance, but the dean of SP2 called and told me about the scholarship so maybe it's not considered financial aid?

Is Penn one of your top choices?

Hmm, it only let me see the acceptance letter. The admissions dean was the one who called and informed me of my acceptance, but the dean of SP2 called and told me about the scholarship so maybe it's not considered financial aid?

Is Penn one of your top choices?

My scholarship info was on the electronic version of the acceptance letter. & nope. UPenn isn't a top choice for me. I would love to go to UChicago or UMichigan. But my friend speaks highly of Penn's program & it appears to be more rigorous than other schools that are ranked higher. Just hope another program will offer me more money. Is it your top choice?

My scholarship info was on the electronic version of the acceptance letter. & nope. UPenn isn't a top choice for me. I would love to go to UChicago or UMichigan. But my friend speaks highly of Penn's program & it appears to be more rigorous than other schools that are ranked higher. Just hope another program will offer me more money. Is it your top choice?

Haaaa... weird. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what the acceptance packet looks like. Yes, Penn was my first choice; their academic program is very attractive and I want to be in Philadelphia.

Edited by mswprosp

Haaaa... weird. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what the acceptance packet looks like. Yes, Penn was my first choice; their academic program is very attractive and I want to be in Philadelphia.

Awesome!! I love to hear about people getting into their dream schools. Philly is pretty great as well. So did you apply anywhere else?

Finally got my acceptance letter from Columbia! Apparently reviewing my application was delayed partly because my statistics course was taken 6 years ago instead of 5... I had thought this wouldn't be much of a problem since it's not that long. They said I could take a course over the summer to make up the requirement.

Wow, everyone is hearing back so early! Did you submit apps early? I didn't get mine in until a few weeks before the deadline, or in one case, the week before. And, still, 3 (out of 4) of them are missing either one of my reference letters, or my undergrad trasncripts. Both of which I have been bugging the respective parties about for weeks. As of yesterday, they have "definitley re-sent" them. ? I wish I had gotten things in sooner. Are there specific forums for specific schools? The one school I applied to early and which is officially reviewing my application is University of Denver, and I'm dying to know if anyone has heard from them yet

Also...I'm getting really concerned, going through everyone's stats...I have a good GPA (3.87 cum., 3.91 major/psych), but little to no experience. I had to work constantly to put myself through school, so I never really got to do internships...I did volunteer with meals on wheels in highschool, which I tried to play up, but that's not really social work. Is there any way I might get in based on my grades, letters, and personal statements/essays alone? Is experience an absolute requirement?

(If it makes a difference depending on the school, I've applied to: University of Denver, Smith College, WashU, Westfield State University - my undergrad, and backup/safety grad school, I hope - and University of South Florida.)

Lastly...I know alot about 3 of the schools I've applied to...but not USF. Does anyone have any input on it?

Finally got my acceptance letter from Columbia! Apparently reviewing my application was delayed partly because my statistics course was taken 6 years ago instead of 5... I had thought this wouldn't be much of a problem since it's not that long. They said I could take a course over the summer to make up the requirement.

Your good news ended the "friday" rumor

Congrats!

Sure, I'll share.

Undergraduate: UCLA Graduated in 2008

Major: Psychology and minor in Education

GPA: 3.2 (I know, pretty low, but my last two years I did pretty well)

Work/Research experience:

1. Project Manager of NIMH UCLA Mental Health Services Act (Prop. 63) Study evaluating the implementation of Prop. 63 systems of care on directly operated and contract clinics.

2. Project Manager of UCLA and LACDMH Evidence-Based Practices Study evaluating EBP's in school based agencies.

3. Associate Producer on UCLA and LACDMH Documentary Series filming variety of mental health clinics. In fact, please check out our films:

http://www.pendari.com/DMH/DMH_Program.aspx?id=5

http://www.pendari.com/DMH/DMH_Program.aspx?id=7

LOR: My supervisor on the research studies above, UCLA Distinguished Professor I had during undergrad, and Associate Dean of Social Work Research at USC

A lot of research experience, but it allowed me to really understand policy and I was also able to interact

with clients, so I'm pretty sure that was a plus :)

Edited by rjose

Hi Rivka, I also received my acceptance letter yesteday. And I have already submitted my acceptance to this AD. They say they will send us username and password, have you got that? One more thing, I declined the financial aid, but will I still be considered for the scholarship? Thanks.