Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

So you are saying it would have been nicer if she had not received a rejection letter at all (since she already knew she was rejected anyways)? What if it was possible that there were more than 1 visitation weekend and that she could have gotten an acceptance later for the 2nd visitation date but didn't due to not having high statistics?

No. I'm saying I think they should have given her the rejection letter before the visitation date. There was one visitation date.

I'm sorry if this sounds rude but please start a new thread if you would like to debate the fairness of the Harvard system. I come here for updates on acceptance/rejected decisions and information on schools for the 2012 school year. This is not constructive for the people here.

No. I'm saying I think they should have given her the rejection letter before the visitation date. There was one visitation date.

Well to be fair, Harvard receives lots of qualified applicants, so they don't have time to send rejection letters right off the bat. They have to worry about the top students first.

I made a phone call to Columbia University to get an update on my application, and the graduate coordinator told me they are around 60% through with sending out offers. The rest of the offers will be given out this week. They receive around 450 applications each year and 26 students enrolled last year. She couldn't tell me how many offers she made, but I guess it's around double (just made this up). Hope this helps =)

I made a phone call to Columbia University to get an update on my application, and the graduate coordinator told me they are around 60% through with sending out offers. The rest of the offers will be given out this week. They receive around 450 applications each year and 26 students enrolled last year. She couldn't tell me how many offers she made, but I guess it's around double (just made this up). Hope this helps =)

Did she say in what form the notification will come? Thank you for the update and Good luck!

It's probably more like triple to quadruple that (e.g. 75-100). Harvard's (at least for chemistry) matriculation rate is roughly 50%, which is the highest among all chemistry grad programs, at least I'm told.

I think it's just kind of a bonus...so far both UCI and UCR offered a little extra for the first year. Maybe it's to unofficially help with the moving costs or something.

Thanks for this info. Btw, when did you submit your application and when did you get notification (through email/phone by faculty you mentioned in SOP or letter from the department)?

Thanks for this info. Btw, when did you submit your application and when did you get notification (through email/phone by faculty you mentioned in SOP or letter from the department)?

Beginning of January I think..maybe end of December..wasn't too early. I received a packet in the mail a couple weeks ago.

Since U of Michigan's visitation date is from February 2-5, and I haven't heard anything from this school yet, should I assume a BIG rejection :( ?

What division are you applying to? For p-chem, the UMichigan visit dates are March 2-4 and March 16-18. So maybe theres still hope!

Since U of Michigan's visitation date is from February 2-5, and I haven't heard anything from this school yet, should I assume a BIG rejection :( ?

Feb 2-5 is for medicinal chemistry which is a division of the college of pharmacy. It's admissions are completely separate from the chemistry department. So no worries!

Feb 2-5 is for medicinal chemistry which is a division of the college of pharmacy. It's admissions are completely separate from the chemistry department. So no worries!

Thanks for your information. I'm in Inorganics, so yeah, there's still a little hope.

Who posted their acceptance to Iowa State and Ohio State theoretical chem yesterday? Send me a PM please, because I'll be going to ISU and a really good friend of mine is going to OSU (both theoretical). Just wondering which groups you're interested in and which visitations you'll be going to!

Called Stanford admissions to inquire about my application, was sadly told all admissions decisions had been made on Monday, was pretty dissapointed. Checked my mailbox for the rejection, and found an acceptance letter. Pessimism at its finest.

You thought the cup was half-empty, turns out it was completely filled. :P

I am kind of confused, what area did you apply to for Stanford? I am going for organic. I called yesterday and they told me that my application is still under review...?

I applied under organic as well and I received my admissions mail yesterday. I'm from California. My guess is that you'll hear back very soon.