New GRE Test Scores are up.

kolja00

V 161 (89%) Estimated: 630-730 (oh well)

Q 161 (86%) Estimated: 750-800 (I had better expectations for this because my questions weren't that hard at all)

AW 4.5 (72%) (Yep, for a Political Science program I heard that anything under 5 could be damaging...)

Anyways, got some problems with ETS because I took the test in two different countries and I can only hope that my additional score reports will reach the schools with early deadlines on time.

In poli sci AWA scores do not really matter at all. Read the thread started by adcoms earlier at the poli sci forum. cheer up!

Edited by kalapocska

I thought I'd join in. My GRE scores (taken August 15th).

Verbal 164 (94th percentile) -> Prediction right after the test: 690-790

Math 166 (94th percentile) -> Prediction: 750-800

AWA 5.5 (96th percentile).

A little disappointed about my Math scores, but it shouldn't matter that much.

Sorry to veer a bit off-topic, but I was just wondering since we got to see our scores online much earlier than the official reporting schedule said we would (took the test on Oct 27th, my scores were supposed to be out Dec 1st, I got to see them online on the 11th), does that mean they were mailed to schools earlier as well? Or will schools get them the same time we get the paper report in the mail, which I am assuming will happen on Dec 1st.

And a second question - I want to use the diagnostic tool to see how many answers I got wrong, etc. but it won't work even though my registration number is listed on my online report, it just says incorrect information. I'm assuming I have to wait for the paper copy? Anyone know?

Also, my understanding is that the scores on the paper report are usually higher than those you got to see online? Just kidding. That was not funny at all.

Sorry to veer a bit off-topic, but I was just wondering since we got to see our scores online much earlier than the official reporting schedule said we would (took the test on Oct 27th, my scores were supposed to be out Dec 1st, I got to see them online on the 11th), does that mean they were mailed to schools earlier as well? Or will schools get them the same time we get the paper report in the mail, which I am assuming will happen on Dec 1st.

And a second question - I want to use the diagnostic tool to see how many answers I got wrong, etc. but it won't work even though my registration number is listed on my online report, it just says incorrect information. I'm assuming I have to wait for the paper copy? Anyone know?

Also, my understanding is that the scores on the paper report are usually higher than those you got to see online? Just kidding. That was not funny at all.

Just tried it with my paper copy and no dice. Must not be working.

I spoke to ETS over the phone and they said the diagnostic tool won't be working until two weeks after you receive your scores in the mail.

Around Nov 1st I was able to see what schools my scores were sent to and since I needed to send schools to two additional schools I added them that day.

I took my GREs Sept 28th and I was able to view my scores on Nov 4th even though I wasn't supposed to be able to get my official scores until Nov 11th. GRE also listed my score report date as November 4th and I have verified through 2 of my application sites. That they have already received my scores.

Thanks for this info - I was curious about the timing between schools showing up and test scores appearing :)

Yes I do agree with some of the other posters, everyone here is definitely an overachiever GRE's in the 90's are nothing to take forgranted there are many people that do only get the average*

*I am not one of those

Amen - I traditionally test well (consistently 95+percentile) and "bombed" this compared to others (159/153) but it will be completely sufficient for what I need.

D

I still can't log in and I took it on Aug. 17 :(

Me neither, and I took mine Aug 8... So we put in our 7-digit reg number, the month and year (mine would be aug-11)? and our birthday? And it should work?

With the diagnostic tool:

Verbal -163 (93%)

Despite doing really well on the first section I didn’t have any of the highest difficulty questions in the next section? Weird. Only 1 level 5 question in both sections compared to like 10 in math.

First Section: 19/20

Second Section: 15/20

Overall: 34/40

Math- 159 (83%)

First Section: 18/20

Second Section: 15/20 (5 for 6 on the highest level difficulty questions though!)

Overall 33/40

Edited by kolja00

Got a 169(98%) with 4 questions wrong on the verbal sections, 1 on the first, and three on the second. (36/40 right)

I got a 160(84%) on the quant scores, with 4 wrong in the first section, and 5 wrong in the section. (31/40 right)

Based on where I went wrong, geometry was my weak point on the quant. Not really surprised there, it never was my strong point. ;) But whatever, still got all of the great score I will ever need ever again on this test.

Got a 169(98%) with 4 questions wrong on the verbal sections, 1 on the first, and three on the second. (36/40 right)

I got a 160(84%) on the quant scores, with 4 wrong in the first section, and 5 wrong in the section. (31/40 right)

Based on where I went wrong, geometry was my weak point on the quant. Not really surprised there, it never was my strong point. ;) But whatever, still got all of the great score I will ever need ever again on this test.

Where did you see your wrong answers? is taht the actual test or a practice test?

I took the test today and it showed my actual score...no range like other students have reported. It didn't show the AWA obviously but I was surprised to get actual numbers instead of a range...I wonder if they are accurate?

I took the test today and it showed my actual score...no range like other students have reported. It didn't show the AWA obviously but I was surprised to get actual numbers instead of a range...I wonder if they are accurate?

At this point they should be accurate . The ranges were because they were switching between two major versions of the test. On the old test they were giving out the actual scores at the end of the test. They were only giving out the ranges as they switched between the two.

Edited by Kitkat

I took the exam yesterday (11/17) with mixed results. I'm 34, already with an M.A., applying to M.A. programs in a related field to the first M.A.. I've got a pretty strong CV, and personal statement, I think. But I haven't seen any posters on this thread with a wide variation in scores like mine!:

V- 164 (94%) --perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned!

Q- 147 (40%)--not perfectly fine. Math has never been my strength, but I had been scoring mid-50%s in practice tests. I have been away from college for over a decade, so whatever math skills I had have faded considerably.

AW -??? still waiting on my scores. (I feel like I kinda choked on the Issue essay, which had a ridiculous prompt, but I feel like I nailed the Analyze an Argument essay. So I'm really anxious to see my final score on the AW).

So.....I'm torn......I honestly can't see retaking this test unless I believed the 147 Quant score would prevent me from making the "minimum" cut for total scores for some programs. Question: How common do you think these "minimum totals" cuts are with various departments, since they are just getting the hang of the new scoring systems?

Any thoughts?

I took the exam yesterday (11/17) with mixed results. I'm 34, already with an M.A., applying to M.A. programs in a related field to the first M.A.. I've got a pretty strong CV, and personal statement, I think. But I haven't seen any posters on this thread with a wide variation in scores like mine!:

V- 164 (94%) --perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned!

Q- 147 (40%)--not perfectly fine. Math has never been my strength, but I had been scoring mid-50%s in practice tests. I have been away from college for over a decade, so whatever math skills I had have faded considerably.

AW -??? still waiting on my scores. (I feel like I kinda choked on the Issue essay, which had a ridiculous prompt, but I feel like I nailed the Analyze an Argument essay. So I'm really anxious to see my final score on the AW).

So.....I'm torn......I honestly can't see retaking this test unless I believed the 147 Quant score would prevent me from making the "minimum" cut for total scores for some programs. Question: How common do you think these "minimum totals" cuts are with various departments, since they are just getting the hang of the new scoring systems?

Any thoughts?

I am in a similar boat - did very well on the verbal but the math was disappointing. I am applying to master's programs though and it looks to me like there is a distinct difference between the minimum score reqs for M.A versus PhD. My GPA is 3.81/ 4.0 in major. I think (hope?) that will offset the so so quant score. Lucky for me my top two schools didn't even require the GRE so....we will see. I am just happy to be done with it.

Darn, people who took the test in the beginning of Sept are just now gaining access to the diagnostic tool. I took it Oct 27th, so I'm expecting to find out how many questions I got wrong at about the same time as when the sun will be running out of hydrogen fuel.