kolja00

V:

Estimate : 590-690

Actual: 160 (86%)

Q:

Estimate: 750-800

Actual: 170 (99%)

AW: 4.0 (48%)

PIIIIISSSSED about the AW. Very surprised by that. Pleasantly surprised by V, although it's pretty inconsequential for Chem programs. And I guess I got all the math right. I don't know how the percentiles worked for the old format, but apparently it is possible to get a 170 Q and have it be 99th percentile.

In any case, now I must anxiously await the subject test results. Best of luck to everyone!

djperry, you're at the same percentile you would be with an 800 on the old test. I know it's easy to get disheartened, but we don't know how common higher scores are. Yes, 6% of test takers should score higher in theory, but no one here has posted a score above 166. I have seen one claim of 167 elsewhere, but no one else has stepped forward with 167-170 quant scores, so I am not sure whether they are being given this round. I could always be mistaken, but maybe ETS is trying not to disadvantage previous test takers too much this application cycle?

...Or not. Good job, synorg.

Edited by Lox26

Guest mckee002

I'm actually so happy with my scores and I think that most of you all should be as well. From an art history perspective at least a good GRE score simply enhances the status of your application.

Verbal: 161

Quantitative: 157

Writing: 5.5

The GRE is a standardized test and cannot truly measure your intelligence or aptitude and I think that most admissions committees realize this.

Really happy with my scores! Took the exam September 4...

Verbal 166 (97%)

(estimate 740-800)

old scale equivalent- 700

Quant 170 (99%)

(estimate 750-800)

old scale equivalent - 800

Writing 4.5

test taken: 9/2, scores posted: 11/2

verbal: 170 (99th), 750-800 scaled

quant: 162 (87th), 750-800 scaled

aw: 6.0 (99th)

disappointed with the quantitative, but was also already expecting such a percentile given some poor time allocation on the final section. has anybody received a hard copy or been able to access the score diagnostics website yet? (through ets, supposedly gives analysis of your performance on specific question types and the like). there's always something to be impatient about.

More data! Was surprised they were up I just checked it randomly today for the first time in a month.

I took the test 9/29

projected:

640-740 Verbal

750-800 Quantitative

actual:

161 Verbal (89th percentile ~620 old scale)

167 Quantitative (95th percentile ~800 old scale)

4.0 AW (48th percentile)

I knew the verbal score would be inflated; makes sense to me though. They (likely) based the projection on students who took (and who studied for) the old GRE. Just sort of shows just how much scores change depending on how you study for a specific format. I see they're finally distinguishing between the top quant scores now... not good for me because 167/170 looks a little yucky since I'm going into physical chemistry :/

side note: totally bombed the AW! (seems so many here did really well, good job!) I didn't study for AW besides reading the sample ones but I kind of like that sort of writing exercise. I wish I would've practiced more.

I tested on 9/01. The ranges I was given on the day were Q: 720-800 V: 700-800

My actual scores were Q: 158 (79th) V: 164 (94th) W: 4.5 (72nd) !!!!!

I really couldn't understand how my verbal range was so bad on the day. Now it's even lower; that score equates with a 660/670 on the prior scale. And the writing score...

I really don't want to have to re-sit this thing.

I am in the same situation.

got ranges of v700-800 and q720-800

and final scores of v165 (690) and q158 (740) and a pathetic 4 on AWA!

Kaplan predicts that the avg scores of people who take the new test will be lower than the average of those who took it later.

Though I don't know if the Adcoms will factor that in.

I got 159V and 158Q.. or 600V and 740Q on the new scale. Not happy.

I really don't want to resit it...The average for the program I want to get into is 650V and 730Q. I really hope the ad coms take the fact that this is a new test into account.

Are you sure about those equivalents? The table I looked at put 159V at 590V.

Test taken 09/24/2011:

V: Est. 680-780 --> 164 (94%), Old Scale Equivalent: 660-670

Q: Est. 730-800 --> 159 (82%), Old Scale Equivalent: 750

AW: 4.0 (48%)

Frickin' AW.

Edited by sarofino

Putting up 2009 scores as well, for posterity sake (and to show the hilarious drop in quant score).

2009:

V: 620, 89th percentile

Q: 630, 53rd percentile

AW: 5.5, 96th%

2011:

V: 165, 96th percentile (Estimate was 730-800, which would've been 98-99% on the old scale -- drag)

Q: 150, 26th percentile (estimate was ?? -- BEAT THAT, EVERYONE ELSE! HA HA HA!) Seriously though, I guess my way through Q in 2009 and in 2011 and look at the score swing. Apparently I was a better guesser in 2009 than in 2011)

AW: 6.0, 99% - Damn f-ing right. Tip regarding this: My strategy was not to craft a concise and reasonable essay, but to spin a wild and verbose web of complex thought and to make it as long as possible. Length, length, length is the best advice I can give. I thought that might hurt me, because after the test I was thinking, "Wow, I'd never actually turn in an essay like that," but lo and behold, it worked.

Good luck to all else. I'm English Lit, so I'm pretty darn happy with my scores. Wish the Q were at least somewhat normal, but what are you gonna do? Maybe they'll look at the 2009 score? :wacko:

Yeah, scores vs. score estimates are a bit of a bummer. I got an estimate of 750-800 in verbal, but only got the equivalent of a 700 (166). Quant was right in the middle - I got estimated at 570-670, and BAM, got a 630 equiv. (150). Perfect 6 on writing, so that's got to be worth... something.

Still bummed about the Verbal score. I was really rooting for something quite a bit better. They got my hopes up, the rotters.

Also, I agree with TripWillis - my essay was LONG, and rambling, and I kept adding things, and saying more things, and didn't even have time to go back and edit it. I guess that that's what they want. Wahoo!

*edit* mjj58, here are some official GRE website breakdowns. Hope they're helpful!

http://www.ets.org/s...ide_table1a.pdf

http://www.ets.org/s...information.pdf

Edited by Emma Maroon

V:167, 98%, 710

Q:155, 69%, 710-700

I'm happy that I made it to 1400 (322), but I'm trying to get into MA programs for economics. So needless to say my quant score is not very competitive.

AW: 4. I don't give a flip about the AW. The grading rubric is rubbish.

Edited by jbadge24

Verbal Estimate: 690-790

Actual Score: 165 (96th percentile)

Quant Estimate: 720-800

Actual Score: 157 (77th percentile)

Was not expecting to get the low end of both my ranges. I'm applying for PhD programs in political science. Should I take it again?