New GRE Test Scores are up.

kolja00

Hmmm. I took the test on Sept. 19th. When I logged in, at first, all I got was an error message. The second time I tried, I was able to log in, but still had no reported scores for the new exam.

Perhaps these percentiles are still adjusting?

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

Verbal

Given Estimate (710-800)

Score: 165 (96%)

Math

Forgot Estimate

Score: 156 (74%)

Essay

Given Estimate: None

Score: 4.0 (48%) ouch, I thought I did really well.

Should I get a rescore for my writing? I'm applying to PhD programs in history and I hear the weight of AW varies considerably program to program

Seanish,

The writing test is still scored crazy, in my opinion. A 4 seems like it would be a good score!

Yeah, I'd try and get a re-grade. Why not, if a 4.5 makes such a huge difference percentile-wise?

Ugh... I think I just hurled when I looked at my verbal score. On the lower end or even below my estimated score. At least on the quant. portion I actually was on the top of my estimated range. They did get one thing right. Oh well... who cares I have moved on to other aspects of the application.

What I'm saying is that the lowest number in the range I was given was too low for me to be competitive, so I was hoping to be a bit higher than that lowest number. However, pretty much every single person on here, when you check the conversion chart, actually got percentages lower than the old scale equivalent range. This means I am most likely, according to what people have posted so far, going to get the lowest percentage or even lower than I was projected.

Yeah, now that I look closely at the concordance tables, it appears that many projected score ranges ended up at/below the lower bound. My apologies.

Hmmm. I took the test on Sept. 19th. When I logged in, at first, all I got was an error message. The second time I tried, I was able to log in, but still had no reported scores for the new exam.

Perhaps these percentiles are still adjusting?

I suppose it's possible the percentiles are still adjusting, but your scores aren't available because you are in the second score group

(originally intended to receive scores on Nov 10th). All the score posted so far have been from August and early September.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the quantitative sections seem to all be within the range of the projected scores. The verbal scores, which were originally thought to be artificially inflated, seem like they are generally at or below the lower bound.

Edited by resource

I wonder if the estimates were given differently to the first group than the second. In other words, I wonder if maybe the first batch were inflated because they weren't comparing them to others yet, but those of us who took it a little later had a range that was in comparison to those who took it previously.

The

The second batch might even be out on Friday, if they're running 6 days ahead of time... Fingers crossed!

The OP started this thread last night (depending on your time zone). This means that the scores were probably posted a few hours earlier than the beginning of this thread. My guess is that we might get the second round of scores on Thursday evening (one week prior to the expected date). Based on the unexpected nature of this whole thing, I am going to be extremely neurotic until those scores come out...

I wonder if the estimates were given differently to the first group than the second. In other words, I wonder if maybe the first batch were inflated because they weren't comparing them to others yet, but those of us who took it a little later had a range that was in comparison to those who took it previously.

I think this would definitely be a possibility given they are ahead of their original score time lines. I know for me it seems like my predicted verbal score was inflated some.

Late August test:

V range: 570-670

V score: 159, 84% (corresponds to 590)

Q range: 750-800

Q score: 161, 86% (corresponds to 770)

AW: 5.0, 87%

OH MY GOD! YOUR VERBAL SCORE WAS ACTUALLY HIGHER THAN YOUR LOWEST PROJECTED! THERE IS STILL HOPE! I THINK I CAN STOP PANICKING......A LITTLE.....

Here at Manhattan Prep we are starting to analyze all of the new scores we hear about. Check out our first reactions to the scores released today: http://www.manhattanprep.com/gre/blog/index.php/2011/11/02/revised-gre-scores-the-full-monty/

Best of luck to anyone who is waiting for their scores!

Best,

Taylor

Verbal:

Projected - (720-800)

Actual - 168 (98%)

Quantitative:

Projected - (720-800)

Actual - 159 (82%) I feel like that was way below, but maybe my math is off. (Edit: Nope, it's not below. Someone linked me the concordance table in another thread and it's actually right. Whew.)

AW: 4.0 (48%)

Edited by figmentj

I had a projected range of 750-800 for both.

Actual: 170 on verbal, 161(86th percentile) on quantitative, 5.0 on writing.

My quantitative was on the very lowest end of my predicted score. My main concern is that adcoms are not going to like how much my scores vary - specifically because I'm applying to science programs and my quantitative should be higher. But, I guess there's nothing to do at this point but hope for the best!

Also - I thought the quantitative was WAY easier than verbal! Weird.

Here at Manhattan Prep we are starting to analyze all of the new scores we hear about. Check out our first reactions to the scores released today: http://www.manhattan...the-full-monty/

Best of luck to anyone who is waiting for their scores!

Best,

Taylor

I read your post, nice info... You mention 750-800 math scores are all over the place. What do you think about 740-800 math scores?

Score estimates:

V- 720-800, actual 165 (96th percentile-corresponds to 680/690)

Q- 750-800, actual 160 (84th percentile- corresponds to 760)

Writing- 5.5

So verbal off by 30 but quant at the bottom of the range. In a sense it makes sense that they would be more accurate on quant because they have a bigger percentile range to hit. Essentially my verbal range was 97th percentile to 99th percentile, while the quant was 82nd to 94th percentile.

I took the test on August 4th. Disappointed a little but it's still a really good score, so whatever. If it were any more below the ranges I'd feel like starting an OccupyGRE movement...

Took the test on September 7th. No scores yet.

But, based on the comments posted here, I am already a bit disappointed. It seems that the new scale is set up to have very little variation among top scores for verbal, which means that if verbal is your strength you don't really get an opportunity to distinguish yourself particularly.

On the other hand, there seems to be much greater variation among top scores for quant. In my case, I feel that what would have been a decent score on the old quant scale will translate into a less-than-decent score on the new scale.

what do you think about the possibility that ETS made some of the august/september quant sections too easy, in a sense that even if you got everything right, you won't get a perfect score (in other words you would have to be lucky to get hard enough sections)? I keep thinking that they can\t do that but then it just seems perfectly possible given that they didn't have any info then as to what percentage fails at what question...

what do you think about the possibility that ETS made some of the august/september quant sections too easy, in a sense that even if you got everything right, you won't get a perfect score (in other words you would have to be lucky to get hard enough sections)? I keep thinking that they can\t do that but then it just seems perfectly possible given that they didn't have any info then as to what percentage fails at what question...

I would definitely agree with this. The quant on my test was much easier than I thought it would be based on the Kaplan and Princeton Review tests and the questions didn't seem to get any harder from section to section. I was actually concerned I did really bad in the 1st quant section because the 2nd and 3rd quant sections were so easy. I ended up with a 750-800 range and an actual score of 161, 86% (770). My 2nd verbal was significantly more challenging than the 1st.