Notification Thread

William_James

All of the people I have talked to so far from my school interview invites asked if I was going to SPSP. They wanted to meet there and have a chat. I think that if you have been contacted and are already planning on going to SPSP, you should let your POI know. If you have not been contacted, then that might be a little weird, since most school will have already reviewed their applications by the time SPSP rolls around.

All of the people I have talked to so far from my school interview invites asked if I was going to SPSP. They wanted to meet there and have a chat. I think that if you have been contacted and are already planning on going to SPSP, you should let your POI know. If you have not been contacted, then that might be a little weird, since most school will have already reviewed their applications by the time SPSP rolls around.

Should you contact your POI or program coordinator have been accepted for poster presentations at APA and a smaller regional conference?

Should you contact your POI or program coordinator have been accepted for poster presentations at APA and a smaller regional conference?

Do you mean that you have been accepted for a poster presentation at a different conference (other than SPSP) and you want to, essentially, update your CV/application to that school?

Do you mean that you have been accepted for a poster presentation at a different conference (other than SPSP) and you want to, essentially, update your CV/application to that school?

Exactly. Mostly, I want to let them know that I've been accepted to present at APA and a smaller regional conference.

Is this something that I should let them know or is it really not that big of a deal?

Exactly. Mostly, I want to let them know that I've been accepted to present at APA and a smaller regional conference.

Is this something that I should let them know or is it really not that big of a deal?

I suppose it depends on whether you've already had conference presentations in the past. They would probably care more about your experience presenting rather than simply being accepted to present. Although, ff you don't have any presentations in the past, I would say it would be good to send an updated CV with an explanation of what's changed. If you've already presented in the past, then I don't think it's as big of a deal, but it probably wouldn't hurt to update them. Just make sure you send an updated CV and not just an email stating that fact. Also, if you're going to do this, I'd probably do it sooner rather than later, as most schools are in the middle of reviewing applications now.

I actually have had something similar happen to me. I was just accepted to present at NCUR this spring. But I already feel like my application is good enough (meaning, I already have some presentations listed on my CV), so I don't feel like it's a big deal to add just one more (when I haven't even actually presented yet).

I have a couple of presentations (one of which printed in the conference proceedings) but nothing as good as APA. Hmmm….not sure what to do. Would you email that info right to a POI or the program coordinator?

I have a couple of presentations (one of which printed in the conference proceedings) but nothing as good as APA. Hmmm….not sure what to do. Would you email that info right to a POI or the program coordinator?

I guess when in doubt, do both the POI and the graduate chair.

For those asking if they should try to talk to a POI at SPSP.....if you received an invitation to interview, by all means go ahead and introduce yourselves, it will be quite welcome. If you have not heard about an interview though, most POIs will be pretty uninterested in speaking to you at SPSP. First, they are harder to track down (they don't give posters so unless you corner them post-symposium it's going to be difficult, and if you approach them at a symposium it should be to ask a question about their research and not about applications). Second, they won't know who you are unless they're planning to interview you, so it will be pretty awkward for them. And third, SO many applicants try to do this that it actually irritates many POIs (my advisor actually tells applicants that find her that 'out of fairness to other applicants' she won't talk at length with anyone over email or in person until the interview).