2012 US PhD Program Applicants

DeeLovely79

Anyone else still waiting for JHSPH PhD in Mental Health?

I wrote to the department yesterday to inquire about my application status, because I saw some people had got their results (including acceptance, rejection, and waitlist).

They replied me : " I don’t have a decision for you yet. The process is very competitive this year and it takes time to review all of the applications completely."

Does it mean I still have a chance?

I contacted the department about my application to JHSPH PhD in Mental Health and got this response:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Your application was completed and sent for review December 20. It typically takes eight to ten weeks for the departments to reach an admissions decision, but it can sometimes take longer.

Best wishes to you and your application!

Thanks Anticipation. I am happy to have gotten in.

Its between SDSU and UGA. UGA has not been very responsive to my emails; I don't know if thats a bad sign. I need to tell sdsu something by next week to get my tuition covered. Its an easy decision if there is no UGA funding.

Have you made a decision?

md99,

How long did it take for you to here a response from UGA? Also, do you mind giving an average of your GRE scores? Thanks!

Hi md99,

I've actually decided to go a slightly different direction than I originally planned- I have decided to attack infectious diseases from the biological side, and I'm pretty certain that I will be pursuing a PhD in Biology from Penn State's Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics. I think UGA has a neat program though- it's slightly scary to be the first cohort of PhD students for the department, but there are definitely advantages to that as well. And UGA's a big university with a lot of varied resources- prime stuff for interdisciplinary collaboration! But as you said- funding makes decisions a no-brainer! Here's hoping that UGA digs deep for you! At the very least, I would expect that they should be able to offer a TAship with that many undergrads to teach...

Anticipation,

Even though you decided to go a different route, if you don't mind sharing, what were your GRE scores? I want to see how competitive UGA program is. Did they ever provide you with a sample curriculum? Thanks!!!

Anyone hear from SLU yet?

Nope. But when I called them they said that it would be around the first week of April before they would release any decisions (at least for the Epi department).

Good luck!

Nope. But when I called them they said that it would be around the first week of April before they would release any decisions (at least for the Epi department).

Good luck!

Thanks! I've tried calling everyday this week, but all I get Bernie Baker's voicemail. It's putting me a little bit on edge. Good luck to you too!

If anyone has heard anything from UF too, please, let me know!

Edited by thenguyener30

• 2 weeks later...

md99,

How long did it take for you to here a response from UGA? Also, do you mind giving an average of your GRE scores? Thanks!

Hi,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I have't been on this site in a long time.

My Gre's are 161, 161, and 4.5. I had a great MPH GPA and a terrible grades in undergrad.

I got accepted in the begining of March and was offered an assistanceship last week. I will most likey accept in a day or 2.