2012 US PhD Program Applicants

DeeLovely79

I can't tell either. I didn't think many schools of public health conducted interviews so I'm not surprised that there aren't many interview notifications posted in the results section. And when I searched the results sections for previous years, it seems that the schools I applied to (I applied to health behavior programs) don't typically notify their PhD applicants until mid-late February. I'm just guessing that with the holidays and the start of the new semester, the departments hold off looking at applications until maybe now and then send out notices in February. I think no news is good news at this point.

I'm sure admissions decisions are different every year, depending what's going on in a particular department. I'm trying to figure out what schools do official interviews for Epi. I know Emory does official in-person interviews, and I think it seems like Yale and John's Hopkins do phone interviews based on reading the results section from previous years. I'm pretty sure that if you don't get an interview from those 3, it means you get rejected- someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I am also guessing that there are some programs that might not have official interviews for everyone they accept, but may have certain faculty members who conduct their own personal, unofficial interviews for potential mentees. If anyone knows what schools do/don't official interviews, please share because I haven't heard a peep from any school I've applied to besides Emory (interview invitation) and GWU (acceptance without interview).

Hey everyone! I've been reading on this site for awhile and decided to register...wanted to jump in to let people know that from what I've heard (from the schools I've applied & others in the process) most schools will do at least a phone interview for doctoral applicants. Many public health schools do the usual phone and then on-campus invite interview as well.

From my list of schools, I know that UMD and USF conduct interviews. I've already completed the phone for USF and I'm going to the college for the on-campus portion in February. UMD conducts on-campus interviews only, or at least the MCH department does. I received a rejection letter from Hopkins last week- wasn't too surprised about this since I know that the school has reached out to people to interview. Seeing as no one called me, I figured I was rejected (also that school was a reach for me).

For GW, specific departments conduct in person interviews (no phone)...I know for a fact the Health Behavior program does this (received my MPH from GW & my adviser was one of the professors who interview applicants to this department).

Anywho, hope this helps! I hate the waiting game...I thought the first time applying was stressful, but this round seems to have been worse! Good luck to everyone!

Edited by MPHandPsych

Hey everyone! I've been reading on this site for awhile and decided to register...wanted to jump in to let people know that from what I've heard (from the schools I've applied & others in the process) most schools will do at least a phone interview for doctoral applicants. Many public health schools do the usual phone and then on-campus invite interview as well.

From my list of schools, I know that UMD and USF conduct interviews. I've already completed the phone for USF and I'm going to the college for the on-campus portion in February. UMD conducts on-campus interviews only, or at least the MCH department does. I received a rejection letter from Hopkins last week- wasn't too surprised about this since I know that the school has reached out to people to interview. Seeing as no one called me, I figured I was rejected (also that school was a reach for me).

For GW, specific departments conduct in person interviews (no phone)...I know for a fact the Health Behavior program does this (received my MPH from GW & my adviser was one of the professors who interview applicants to this department).

Anywho, hope this helps! I hate the waiting game...I thought the first time applying was stressful, but this round seems to have been worse! Good luck to everyone!

What disciplines/programs have you been applying to at these schools?

I've applied all across the board because i'm interested in women's health which falls under different departments depending on the school/specific research interests matching my own. USF was Community & Family Health, UMD was Maternal & Child Health, and Hopkins was Population, Family & Reproductive Health.

I've applied all across the board because i'm interested in women's health which falls under different departments depending on the school/specific research interests matching my own. USF was Community & Family Health, UMD was Maternal & Child Health, and Hopkins was Population, Family & Reproductive Health.

Good luck with USF and UMD! Both of my programs don't do interviews so I'm just waiting...6ish more weeks!

Good luck with USF and UMD! Both of my programs don't do interviews so I'm just waiting...6ish more weeks!

I'm right there with you. I don't think the programs I applied to conduct interviews either so I'm just waiting until the final admittance decision is made.

I applied to Epi at UIC and my status is 'app complete - please await further info'. I spoke with someone in the department when (surprise surprise) SOPHAS said my MPH degree was unverified despite having my official transcript and he said Epi applicants shouldn't expect to hear anything until late March. :( I guess no news is good news at this point. What departments were you guys applying to?

in case anyone was wondering, it looks like the day of the week that SOPHAS sends applications is Tuesday (My app was submitted 12/30, verified last thurs and sent out today)

any one hear more news?

I applied to Epi at UIC and my status is 'app complete - please await further info'. I spoke with someone in the department when (surprise surprise) SOPHAS said my MPH degree was unverified despite having my official transcript and he said Epi applicants shouldn't expect to hear anything until late March. :( I guess no news is good news at this point. What departments were you guys applying to?

For UIC, I applied to the Community Health Sciences department...received the letter in the mail last night.

Also, for anyone who applied to Emory's Behavioral Sciences & Health Education (BSHE) department- if you haven't heard from them about an interview by now then you're most likely not getting an invite (BSHE folks sent out the invites for interviews to applicants already).

Can't remember if I posted this, but I heard from Tulane that they do not conduct interviews (occasionally they will have phone interviews, but not a requirement for admission) and notify folks by snail mail. I applied to the Global Community and Behavioral Sciences Department.

Hi All,

Thought I should share the following information that was emailed to me by an admissions person at Drexel.

PhD Epidemiology program: 72 applicants and only 4 accepted!

Good luck and congrats to these 4. This was a pretty low acceptance rate for Drexel. Oh well.

Hi All,

Thought I should share the following information that was emailed to me by an admissions person at Drexel.

PhD Epidemiology program: 72 applicants and only 4 accepted!

Good luck and congrats to these 4. This was a pretty low acceptance rate for Drexel. Oh well.

It could be that some of their current PhD students are taking an extra year to complete their studies so they can't admit as many new students to replace them yet...all related to funding, of course!

I got accepted to UNC Epidemiology PhD. No word on funding yet, but this is exciting news!

Waiting to hear from Harvard, Hopkins....still need to submit app for UT Houston for 2/1 deadline (yeah I procrastinate like that).

Me.

PhD Epidemiology.

Hopkins.

Harvard.

UNC.

UT Houston.

Has anyone heard from Columbia Sociomedical Sciences?

Not that I know of. Yesterday I looked at the results section for the last couple years, focusing on schools that I applied to including Columbia, and it seems that it's a bit early to hear about admissions. And most of the schools I've applied to also do not do interviews. It's hard not to be anxious but I think we won't hear about admissions for a bit. Note that I did not apply to the big schools like Hopkins, Emory, UNC, Yale, Harvard, or Michigan due to their geographic locations instead opting for NY or CA schools only.

I got accepted to UNC Epidemiology PhD. No word on funding yet, but this is exciting news!

Congrats on UNC! I just checked my application online, and there wasn't a decision. I wonder if they give all of their decisions around the same time or they are staggered.

Also someone on SDN got a phone interview from Hopkins, but other than that I haven't heard of anything from them either.

------

Accepted: GWU

Interview: Yale, Emory

Waiting: Tulane, UT Houston, Hopkins, U Washington, UNC

Could I have someone's input on interviews? I know it must vary from school to school of course, but do schools generally interview many candidates, or do they only interview a select few? (Mostly I am trying to figure out how good of a sign getting an interview would be! :) ) I am particularly interested in Harvard and Yale, but any input from any schools is fine!