2012 US PhD Program Applicants

DeeLovely79

@slaNYC and 20-80, congrats!!! GO UCs!

I heard via phone from my POI at Berkeley for a PhD in environmental health on Monday (2/13), and via email from the kind folk at JHSPH's Epi program-- in at both! W00t! Now to navigate the funding labrynth. Yikes.

Let's all go to Berkeley!!!

Hey!

Sorry I'm also super late in joining this group. Applying to PhD programa in Epi, focusing in Infectious Diseases.

Applied: UNC, Hopkins, Emory, Yale

Accepted:

Interviews:

Rejected: Emory

I'm at UNC for my MPH right now in MCH and I am 99% sure there are no interviews for Epi. Also UNC does rolling acceptances but most fields except ID should have heard by now. Talked to Nancy (she's awesome) and they are hoping to be done by March 1st. But as I already know that some people have been accepted to UNC for ID, I'm assuming if we haven't heard, we're probably waitlisted. But don't quote me on that last sentence. They also let in too many Epi last year so there aren't enough ID profs to advise incoming students.

Yale also told me decisions would be sent out by March 1st too but since someone mentioned interviews for EMD and I haven't gotten one I'm assuming I'm getting rejected. But can anyone confirm this? I wish they wouldn't prolong this. Just reject me so I can move on.

Also can anyone confirm that Hopkins Epi ID does interviews? I also have not received anything about that so I'm assuming a rejection.

This whole waiting till march 1st is kinda silly. Lots of fellowships are having their apps due around now and I dont want to waste my time on them if I'm going to get into a PhD program. Grrr!

Sorry for the length. Just frustrated.

But congrats to all the accepted. I heard this was a record breaking year for Epi apps with this shitty economy. If you don't get in, it's not b/c you're not qualified but rather there were just "more" qualified people (i.e. superstudents)

Cheers

I don't want to be the bad news bear but Yale did their interviews last week and (I am quite sure) that all of their acceptances will come from those who were interviewed.

Hey universe,

I'm also interested in ID epi and applied to all of the schools that you did.

Hopkins did phone interviews for ID Epi. I have heard that they already sent out their acceptances. So I think I am either wait listed or rejected there. :(

Yale also did interviews for EMD Epi. I know that their initial acceptances come out of their interview pool, but its possible they have a wait list.

I just found I was rejected at UNC today. I randomly checked their website and the decision was there but I never got an e-mail. Good luck!

Edited by epi19

Hey universe,

I'm also interested in ID epi and applied to all of the schools that you did.

Hopkins did phone interviews for ID Epi. I have heard that they already sent out their acceptances. So I think I am either wait listed or rejected there. :(

Yale also did interviews for EMD Epi. I know that their initial acceptances come out of their interview pool, but its possible they have a wait list.

I just found I was rejected at UNC today. I randomly checked their website and the decision was there but I never got an e-mail. Good luck!

hey epi 19,

thanks for that info. yea i figured as much for yale and hopkins. it's just annoying that they don't send rejection letters once they do their interviews. i'd rather get a rejection letter than nothing until march 1st. i already missed some really great fellowship opportunities b/c i've been waiting to hear back from schools.

what website did you check for your admissions decision? the application website? nothing is posted on mine. not taking that as a good sign though.

guess it's the working world for me. congrats to everyone else. and if you're coming to unc, you're going to love chapel hill :) i'm happy to answer any questions you have about the school or department.

cheers

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I applied to the epi programs at UNC, Emory, UGA, and SDSU/UCSD.

I heard from UCSD/SDSU and was accepted. I got a call from them earlier this week. They said they would send me a formal letter in the next few days and would like to know if I accept by March 1. Seems early to me, but he said that the deadline was not absolute.

Still waiting from the others. Has anyone applied to UGA?

I saw on the results page that there are some other admits to the Health Policy & Management PhD program at UNC -- is it anyone on this forum? Is anyone going to the visit day later in March? Hoping to chat with other prospective students - thanks!

I received my official letter of acceptance to Temple's PhD in Social and Behavioral Health Sciences program...and I have to put down a deposit within the next two weeks or forfeit the spot. I don't expect to hear from Hopkins for 2-3 more weeks...so I should put in the deposit at Temple anyway? It's only $100...

I also haven't received any information on funding from Temple yet, and was told they won't know for another month...should I ask for an extension until I hear about funding?

I received my official letter of acceptance to Temple's PhD in Social and Behavioral Health Sciences program...and I have to put down a deposit within the next two weeks or forfeit the spot. I don't expect to hear from Hopkins for 2-3 more weeks...so I should put in the deposit at Temple anyway? It's only $100...

I also haven't received any information on funding from Temple yet, and was told they won't know for another month...should I ask for an extension until I hear about funding?

I went to Yale's "recruitment" day last week and the head of the Graduate School said that legally schools can't pressure you to make a decision until April 15th. I don't know if that's true, but I might double check (maybe ask Temple first?). The hundred bucks wouldn't be the worst spent if you did end up declining in the end, but it's really annoying to be unsure of your options and forced to make an important choice! (oh, and congrats on the acceptance!!! :) )

Yikes. I heard the the same refrain "it's illegal to force you to make a decision before April 15" from a Yale MPHer that I met at an interview day. It appears that it's not about legality, but it's a friendly agreement that Council of Graduate School members have entered into : http://www.cgsnet.org/Default.aspx?tabid=201 , and clearly is more of a guideline than a rule since I have been given deadlines earlier than April 15 by multiple reputable schools/departments.

I am in the same boat (one wants to know by March 1...less than a week after their visit day - eek!). In the professional world, if you accepted a job, and then continued to interview for other jobs, it would reflect really poorly on you (my current office - at NIH - actually pulled a job offer last year because the person accepted and then continued to interview). The public health world is SMALL so you really need to think about whether accepting a school's offer and then backing out could have any negative consequences, especially if your potential advisor (who is pulling strings to get you funding at many SPHs) might hear. I think the best way is to be honest, and explain to the school that they are at the top of your list but you want to make an informed decision and need another week or two.

That said, I wish I could just hear from everywhere by March 1 then decide and have it be over!!! Good luck everyone :)

I saw on the results page that there are some other admits to the Health Policy & Management PhD program at UNC -- is it anyone on this forum? Is anyone going to the visit day later in March? Hoping to chat with other prospective students - thanks!

Hey phdroute- I was also admitted to UNC HPM program and will be going to their admitted students day in March. Im also in the DC area- looks like maybe you are too- would love to discuss!

Has anyone heard from Michigan?

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I applied to the epi programs at UNC, Emory, UGA, and SDSU/UCSD.

I heard from UCSD/SDSU and was accepted. I got a call from them earlier this week. They said they would send me a formal letter in the next few days and would like to know if I accept by March 1. Seems early to me, but he said that the deadline was not absolute.

Still waiting from the others. Has anyone applied to UGA?

Hi md99,

I applied to UGA Epi and just got my acceptance in the mail. Their application said they would only release their admissions decisions by mail, so if you applied, look for that old fashioned letter!

Hey phdroute- I was also admitted to UNC HPM program and will be going to their admitted students day in March. Im also in the DC area- looks like maybe you are too- would love to discuss!

Has anyone heard from Michigan?

Hi rachelmac - i messaged you about UNC. Not sure if it went through but let me know!

Did anyone apply for the Epi program at Brown, and have you heard back?

and Epi19, have you had back from yale? did you go for the interview?

congrats on GW! :)

Thanks! I went to the interview but I didn't hear back yet. I think that what they said at interview day is that they would start making decisions this past Wednesday and we should hear anywhere from a few days until 2 weeks after then. So I bet we will start hearing next week.

Edited by epi19