2012 US PhD Program Applicants

DeeLovely79

The interview process in general is for a select group, generally slightly more or about the number that they would like to accept. Some schools do interview, while others don't-it's best to contact schools specifically to find this out. I can't speak for Harvard but I do know that Yale epi does interview and that all (or almost all) of the interview invites have been given out already.

Edited by sepiasizemore

Could I have someone's input on interviews? I know it must vary from school to school of course, but do schools generally interview many candidates, or do they only interview a select few? (Mostly I am trying to figure out how good of a sign getting an interview would be! :) ) I am particularly interested in Harvard and Yale, but any input from any schools is fine!

I also have an interview at Yale (EMD) and am very curious about this too. My guess is that since they are paying your way out there it is a very good sign, but they (and you too) want to confirm that it's the right choice since a PhD is a big commitment. I think we'll know more once the schedule is finalized, but I'm guessing some info sessions, interviews with potential advisors, and a campus tour? Maybe some previous Yale admits or interviewees can comment???

I spoke to a Yale admissions person a few months ago -- the interviews are definitely for a short list, but they do not guarantee admission. From what the person said, it seems to be that they select a few more than they plan to admit. I agree with J. Snow that we'll get a better idea of what they have in store once the schedule goes out.

For those of you going to the interview day, do you know where you are staying yet? I still have to book my travel/accommodation.

I didn't apply to Harvard, but I've heard some of their programs have more than one round of interviews? Yikes. I hope I'm wrong!

Any one got phone calls from admission committees for informal phone conversations? I got one from UW, the lady asked me some questions that they want me to elaborate more on some points in my application package and let me ask some questions about the department. I don't think it is a formal interview since it seems individualized and not as structured and I do wonder if it is a good sign or not..

Edited by darse1112

Not at all! My assigned advisor does ID stuff and that's been my focus in work and school so far, though when I visited a few months ago I met with some ID people and also some chronic people.

As far as stats:

GRE: 660V (I think. It's been awhile.) and 700Q

MPH GPA: 3.9

I have an MPH in epi from a very highly ranked school and have 2 years post-MPH experience in governmental public health.

It seems they're releasing decisions slowly. I know people were notified starting last week and when I visited they said notifications go out as late as March, so I wouldn't worry at all! Since they assign you an advisor upon admission, I bet a lot of the timing is when individual potential advisors have the time to review specific applications.

has anyone heard from U Pittsburgh? I applied to their PhD Epidemiology program too.. any idea if they have started giving out admits? I am an international student by the way.. so whose decisions are announced first? the Domestic applicants or the international ones??

this wait is driving me crazy !

Just got an informal acceptance from SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health. POI cold called me. Pleasant conversation. Very excited as it's my top choice; however, still waiting to hear back to hear from Harvard and Columbia.

GRE: ~1400

GPA: ~3.0 (undergrad), ~3.9 (graduate)

Several publications and presentations. Lots of research experience including the last two years full-time at a highly ranked university. Very good fit in terms of research interest.

CameraMan that is wonderful news. Congrats! You must be so excited. What's your research interest?

Thanks! I'm very excited. I'm interested in researching interplay of HIV and substance abuse in low-income (international) settings. I'm particularly interested in the SDSU/UCSD program because they do a lot of this work in Mexico and also have James Fowler who does a lot of social network research. I spent about 2 years doing HIV among MSM in New York City—wanted to move to a more international setting.

Hi, all, Intl. student from Southeast Asia here, been following this post for a couple weeks,

I'm applying to women's health.

Emory, U-Mich, Harvard, Hopkins, Columbia, Berkeley,

UCLA, UW, UNC, BU, U of T, U-Minn

GRE: 690V, 720Q

TOEFL: 114/120

MS (GPA: 4.0) in health policy and mgmt, BSN (GPA 3:61), RN,

undergrad exchange to Finland (1yr), visting grad in the US(1yr, GPA: 3.8),

has certificates in hiv/sti prevention & global health; lots of volunteer/on field experience w/ ph advocacy and outreach internationally.

TA, RA, interned, no real work experience. (shocker!)

3 intl. presentations, no publications yet, on the way. (double shocker!)

I have not received any calls, any emails for interviews and it is freaking me out.

Edited by songsong2012

Hey everyone I just wanted to give you a short update. I completed my in person interview at Pitt and found out (some let it slip) that I had already been accepted! Later that day I found out that I was accepted by the University of South Carolina @ Columbia!! I've been nominated for fellowships at both schools which I believe is the reason why I was notified so early.

Hey everyone I just wanted to give you a short update. I completed my in person interview at Pitt and found out (some let it slip) that I had already been accepted! Later that day I found out that I was accepted by the University of South Carolina @ Columbia!! I've been nominated for fellowships at both schools which I believe is the reason why I was notified so early.

AMAZING!!! Did you update the results section yesterday? I sorta suspected those were you. I know I don't know you but I'm so excited for you. Any word from any of your other schools?

Thanks for all the good will. A lot of my anxiety is relieved but the thought has come to me that I will have to make a decision at some point and dissapoint someone (yes I know that is a good problem to have) so that has prevented me from getting a swelled head about this whole thing. I've had pretty good experiences with all of the facutly I've spoken too/met and these people are my future collegues so however this goes I need to handle it delicately.

@slaNYC - I was so beat tired after driving home from Pittsburgh and then stunned by the cosmic timing of the USC e-mail (the time stamp was like 8 pm) that all I could do was update the results section and then collapse into bed. I didn't even post it to Facebook, but I had to update my gradcafe folks!!!

As far as the other schools go I have not heard a peep. I'm going to wait until I find out about the fellowships before I start asking the other programs for decisions. From the results board I don't expect to hear anything until the end of February/beg of March.

Edited by DeeLovely79

Hey guys, I just joined this site today. Nervously waiting for decisions. I have applied to the following programs...

No Decision Yet:

UCLA-Health Services

UT Houston-Health Behavior

USC-Health Behavior

Interview Invites:

SDSU/UCSD-Health Behavior

USC -Social Work

SDSU/UCSD surprised me with the interview invite since their site has no mention of interviews. The program director called me and said he though it would be good if I met some of his project staff. I go there on 2/16 for a full day.

USC-Social Work, I know it doesn't go with my other programs but they actually do a lot of public health research and have some amazing faculty. That interview is not until March 21st.

SDSU/UCSD surprised me with the interview invite since their site has no mention of interviews. The program director called me and said he though it would be good if I met some of his project staff. I go there on 2/16 for a full day.

Strange. I never got an invite to interview—just a cold call. Perhaps it has to do with the type of funding? If you end up going to SDSU/UCSD, send me a PM as I'm pretty sure that's where I'm going to end up.

Hey Friends,

Congrats to everyone who has has an interview scheduled or received an acceptance!

I just wanted to share that I've been admitted to UW (Epi-- email on Feb 1), and had interviews at Berkeley (EHS-- invited on Jan 29 for visit via email), Columbia (EHS-- pulled off waitlist Feb 2 for visit), and Johns Hopkins (Env. Epi.-- invited Feb 2 for phone interview via email).

I am SO excited. B)

Strange. I never got an invite to interview—just a cold call. Perhaps it has to do with the type of funding? If you end up going to SDSU/UCSD, send me a PM as I'm pretty sure that's where I'm going to end up.

Yeah, I think it does have to do with the funding and maybe who might want to work with, but congrats on your acceptance. It is a pretty good program (and a great city).