Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

Oh man, banana bread. I'm more a pistachio-chocolate chip-cranberry zucchini bread person (I don't like smushing bananas - it weirds me out somehow), but... now I'm hungry. XDAnd sure! We could.. uh.. say we're really inspired by MLK. I'm sure we could figure out what the honorable Dr. King's fav cookie was. Totes plausible.
Recipe PLEASE!?

You have inspired me to add a "notification date" column to my already multi-page spreadsheet on all of my programs, lol.  Earliest from last year is January 20.... so naturally, still continuing to check apps religiously...  :ph34r:
Lucky! My earliest was March 6th!

"You'll get in, it's just a matter of where." <== From one of my LOR writers.

I told her to stop getting my hopes up. :wacko:  It's driving me insane. I so want her to be right, but the wait is killing me...and I'm pretty sure I'm driving people insane at this point because I won't shut up.

"But what about my grandchildren?!?!?!" 

This was said by my mother immediately after I told her that I was applying to PhD programs out of state.

Important points of clarification: My husband and I do not have any children. Nor am I pregnant. She's just really really excited about the prospect of us having kids ASAP.

This was said by my mother immediately after I told her that I was applying to PhD programs out of state.

Important points of clarification: My husband and I do not have any children. Nor am I pregnant. She's just really really excited about the prospect of us having kids ASAP.

I think I'm more worried about my boyfriend's mother having that reaction. I think if she had her way, he would work, we would get married, and I would stay home and make babies. I don't have time for any of that, right now! I don't think I will every really want kids, either.

This is exactly why I have not told my mother I'm even applying yet.  Lol.  I told my husband that I thought she would try to stage an intervention, so I wanted to have an acceptance *in hand* when I tell her that a) I'm quitting my job, b ) I'm still not having kids in the near future, and c) I'm moving across the country.  

I've been slowly preparing her for the news.  I first got her to realize that I am waiting at least 3 more years to have kids (I'm 28).  I also got her to accept that I want to change careers... and possibly go to grad school (not my fault she has assumed that I meant master's programs IN my current city, which is close to her, lol).  Though, in that same conversation, she said that my husband and I better never move away again (we used to live away).  Oh, and did I mention I am the only child?!  No pressure...

So, waiting on acceptances is proving extra stressful... ha...

Edited by amlobo

This is exactly why I have not told my mother I'm even applying yet.  Lol.  I told my husband that I thought she would try to stage an intervention, so I wanted to have an acceptance *in hand* when I tell her that a) I'm quitting my job, b ) I'm still not having kids in the near future, and c) I'm moving across the country.  

I've been slowly preparing her for the news.  I first got her to realize that I am waiting at least 3 more years to have kids (I'm 28).  I also got her to accept that I want to change careers... and possibly go to grad school (not my fault she has assumed that I meant master's programs IN my current city, which is close to her, lol).  Though, in that same conversation, she said that my husband and I better never move away again (we used to live away).  Oh, and did I mention I am the only child?!  No pressure...

Are you secretly me?! Seriously. Also 28. I have a brother, but he and I have different mothers, so all intents and purposes, I am my mom's only child. Also want to start trying to get pregnant at 30, with the baby popping out at 31. I told my mom in April so she would have a long time to get used to the idea, and it seems to be working. Phrases like, "oh please don't leave!" have been replaced with "well... Arizona isn't that far away!" 

When I remind my mom that I still have yet to get in anywhere, she replies with the infamous, "You'll get in somewhere!"

Tons of sympathy on this. I made the mistake of telling my mom that I had applied to a school close to where she lives (we haven't lived in the same area for quite some time), and now it's like -- "Heard anything about it, yet? Have they accepted you yet? You should come out here and we'll go for a visit! I can't wait for when they accept you!"

Notably, it's also one of the reachiest schools I have and possibly the one I want to go to the MOST. >.<

Are you secretly me?! Seriously. Also 28. I have a brother, but he and I have different mothers, so all intents and purposes, I am my mom's only child. Also want to start trying to get pregnant at 30, with the baby popping out at 31. I told my mom in April so she would have a long time to get used to the idea, and it seems to be working. Phrases like, "oh please don't leave!" have been replaced with "well... Arizona isn't that far away!" 

When I remind my mom that I still have yet to get in anywhere, she replies with the infamous, "You'll get in somewhere!"

Yes, we sound very similar, hehe.  I was hoping to pop out a kid after finishing coursework... which should be around 31 or so (if I get in!).  Lol.  Hubby and I have been married for 6 1/2 years, so we get a lot of grief about being childless... ha.  I figure if I get in nowhere, my mother is spared needless grief (until next year...)... and if I DO get in, it will be much harder for her to crush my dreams when I have already been accepted to Awesome University with a fantastic stipend.   :lol:

Yes, we sound very similar, hehe.  I was hoping to pop out a kid after finishing coursework... which should be around 31 or so (if I get in!).  Lol.  Hubby and I have been married for 6 1/2 years, so we get a lot of grief about being childless... ha.  I figure if I get in nowhere, my mother is spared needless grief (until next year...)... and if I DO get in, it will be much harder for her to crush my dreams when I have already been accepted to Awesome University with a fantastic stipend.   :lol:

Oh gosh...the stipend. Mom: "So how much will you be making in graduate school?"

"Whatever they give me."

"Well, how much? 40k? 30k?"

"Mom, I don't know."

"I don't think they're giving you enough money."

"...they haven't given me any money yet, Mom. I haven't been accepted yet."

"Well, they'll be fighting all over you. One of them better give you enough money. Remind me where you applied again? I want to call them and tell them to give you more money."

"...no."

Yeah...

Oh gosh...the stipend. Mom: "So how much will you be making in graduate school?"

"Whatever they give me."

"Well, how much? 40k? 30k?"

"Mom, I don't know."

"I don't think they're giving you enough money."

"...they haven't given me any money yet, Mom. I haven't been accepted yet."

"Well, they'll be fighting all over you. One of them better give you enough money. Remind me where you applied again? I want to call them and tell them to give you more money."

"...no."

Yeah...

Hahahaha.  I'm now picturing someone's mom calling the adcomm to let them know they need to increase their stipend.  :)  Yeah, I don't think any stipend will "satisfy" my mother... since I'm an attorney right now, lol.  My best explanation for her is that I wanted to "take off a few years" when I had kids, anyway, so getting a stipend is like free money I wouldn't have had otherwise... plus I'm getting another degree from it.  See, mentioning babies in with it will blind her to everything else... poof!  Magic!

I am also an only child, and I'm turning blue in the face trying to explain to my mom why she shouldn't pack up and follow my husband and I wherever I get in. She seems to think that I'll move this once, graduate, then get a job at the same university. And is unwilling to listen to anyone tell her otherwise. Oy. Just what I need is her following me.

+1 for ”But those places are all so far away!” From mom, sister, and grandmother. We're currently in the middle of the country and 2 hours away, looking at places at least 4 hours away -- top choices on the coasts. Fortunately, since we don't want kids, this process has given me a reprieve on baby talk. Now I get, ” well, I know you want to get your career started first...” Um, sure. That's it...

+1 for ”But those places are all so far away!” From mom, sister, and grandmother. We're currently in the middle of the country and 2 hours away, looking at places at least 4 hours away -- top choices on the coasts. Fortunately, since we don't want kids, this process has given me a reprieve on baby talk. Now I get, ” well, I know you want to get your career started first...” Um, sure. That's it...

Yeah, I'm in middle America as well... closest application is 6 hours away, the rest are in different corners of the country, lol.  I'm hoping for a warmer climate... :D

Today, my friend asked me "Did you apply to Hawaii?"   No, they don't fund my program.  "What about Las Vegas?"  Nope.  "But they would be so FUN!"  I don't think she understands what grad school is... lol.

But what about my grandchildren?!?!?!" 

Sounds very familiar! ... Except I'm not married. Or even engaged. And test tube babies just aren't in my field of study!

And DataTape, that's all I keep hearing. I don't have the heart to tell them that I think I've already been rejected from one of my programs. People (my mother included) really don't seem to understand how grad school works... especially the admissions part.

Edited by RubyBright

People (my mother included) really don't seem to understand how grad school works... especially the admissions part.

Let's be honest here. As much as we have all read and talked to professors and contacted POIs, none of us really know how it works. I have been admitted to a few programs and I still really don't know "how" it all works.

Let's be honest here. As much as we have all read and talked to professors and contacted POIs, none of us really know how it works. I have been admitted to a few programs and I still really don't know "how" it all works.

This. is. so. true.

Last year I got into a program where I clearly articulated in my SOP that I only wanted to do X and my only interests were in X. However, on the webpage it clearly stated, "Don't apply to this program if you want to do X. We don't do that here." ....and I got in anyway. So.... who knows?!?!?

This. is. so. true.

Last year I got into a program where I clearly articulated in my SOP that I only wanted to do X and my only interests were in X. However, on the webpage it clearly stated, "Don't apply to this program if you want to do X. We don't do that here." ....and I got in anyway. So.... who knows?!?!?

I'm beginning to think that the professors don't even really know how it works, either. So many I've spoken to have told me they don't ever get their first choice students, or they don't know how the adcoms make selections. Um...but you guys are on the inside!!! Someone has to know how it works!!!

Well, I more mean that they seem to think that as long as you have good grades and good LORs, you'll get in everywhere you apply - more like undergrad. But no, I agree that we only have a somewhat better idea!

This. is. so. true.

Just to clarify. I'm not crazy! lol  I just ended up applying to the wrong program and only realized that I had mixed up two similar programs after I had been accepted into the wrong one.

They play a game of roulette for each applicant.  Reds are maybes, blacks are no's and the greens are the coveted yes.  The numbers stand for how much funding you get.  And that, my dear friends, is how the admissions process works.

The "Oh you'll get in everywhere" is killer... then I feel like I am over-justifying how competitive admissions really are... to avoid this I am trying to tell as few people as possible about my apps until I have some results to share...

Edited by PhDhopeful2013