Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

Mom: "What are your top choices of the schools you applied to?"

Me: "Well, it's a long shot but my dream choices are definitely MIT number 1, and then Harvard.."

Mom: :Laughs: "You'll definitely get into MIT! No problem! Probably Harvard, but I know absolutely MIT, easy."

For some reason, my mom thinks MIT is some small unknown technical college. And no matter how many times I explain to her that MIT is ranked #1 for my field and Harvard is #4, she can't believe it and will continue to tell me how MIT is a shoe in while trying to convince me that I should chose Harvard instead (assuming I end up lucky enough to have a choice between the two, not likely lol). She went so far as to say I was "too good" for MIT...oh Lord :/

Mom: "What are your top choices of the schools you applied to?"

Me: "Well, it's a long shot but my dream choices are definitely MIT number 1, and then Harvard.."

Mom: :Laughs: "You'll definitely get into MIT! No problem! Probably Harvard, but I know absolutely MIT, easy."

For some reason, my mom thinks MIT is some small unknown technical college. And no matter how many times I explain to her that MIT is ranked #1 for my field and Harvard is #4, she can't believe it and will continue to tell me how MIT is a shoe in while trying to convince me that I should chose Harvard instead (assuming I end up lucky enough to have a choice between the two, not likely lol). She went so far as to say I was "too good" for MIT...oh Lord :/

Hahah. I've heard similar stories on here. One guy said a friend expressed jubilation over an acceptance to a Master's program (without funding) to "brand name" school, while showing disdain towards the fully funded PhD program that was similarly ranked without as much publicity. It's humorous. 

Mom: "What are your top choices of the schools you applied to?" Me: "Well, it's a long shot but my dream choices are definitely MIT number 1, and then Harvard.." Mom: :Laughs: "You'll definitely get into MIT! No problem! Probably Harvard, but I know absolutely MIT, easy."   For some reason, my mom thinks MIT is some small unknown technical college. And no matter how many times I explain to her that MIT is ranked #1 for my field and Harvard is #4, she can't believe it and will continue to tell me how MIT is a shoe in while trying to convince me that I should chose Harvard instead (assuming I end up lucky enough to have a choice between the two, not likely lol). She went so far as to say I was "too good" for MIT...oh Lord :/
Congrats! On your 4 acceptances! Wish you thbest in getting your top pick! Here's to hoping I meet you in Mass in the fall!!

Hahah. I've heard similar stories on here. One guy said a friend expressed jubilation over an acceptance to a Master's program (without funding) to "brand name" school, while showing disdain towards the fully funded PhD program that was similarly ranked without as much publicity. It's humorous. 

Haha, this reminds me of a friend who was accepted to an EXPENSIVE post-bacc program at Cornell. I asked him if he could really afford it and the inevitable move across the country and wouldn't it be better to stay at respected State U where he hopes to attend med school anyway... "Who cares?? It's Cornell! It's worth it!"

That is a bit silly, considering they would have to go on after the (expensive) master's at the "brand name" school, but there can be at least a little significance in the university name game. Future employers will care about the university name on your terminal degree. 

"Why are you still in school? I am engaged now."

"Why are you still in school? I am married now."

"Why are you still in school? I have a baby now."

"Why are you still in school? I have two babies now."

"Why are you still in school?"

I got a new one, today.... One of my schools had a hard time coordinating enough professors within my interests for my interview, I"m guessing because there is a big conference that week. I kept listing new professors that I might be interested in since my main POIs are going to be away. >.< When I was talking to a friend about it, she responded, "Well, that just means you're smarter than those professors!"

I know she was trying to make me feel better, but I wanted to be like, "No. They're super amazing professors. Everyone wants them to do things. They are super busy. I have maybe 1/100th of that knowledge." Arg. I've stopped talking about my studies with non-science people.  :ph34r:

Arg. I've stopped talking about my studies with non-science people.  :ph34r:

Definitely. I have trouble telling people that I am nervous about my interview, because the first thing they say is "you'll be fine". If one more person says that, I'll snap. They just don't understand how dismissive it sounds, as if I'm worrying for nothing. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life, for goodness sake.

"you'll be fine". If one more person says that, I'll snap. They just don't understand how dismissive it sounds

Awwwwwww this is the truth. Even people I have classes with say this! Um.... there is a difference between programs with cohorts of 40+ (MA) and programs with cohorts of 5 (PhD) !!!! My chances are significantly smaller :(

I got the "What do you want to do after [MA/MLIS] graduation?" speech from my father a couple of days ago. Dad, let me focus on the fact my applications are JUST in and I need to know what CONTINENT I'll be on before I start making after-graduation plans.

My Dad should be the most accepting of almost anyone...he's gone through the grad school process. :/

My Dad should be the most accepting of almost anyone...he's gone through the grad school process. :/

This times a million... My parents have only just stopped actively DISCOURAGING me, and now just have this resigned acceptance of the fact that I'm pursuing a PhD. It's a special brand of cynicism that comes from decades of being in academia, and they make no bones about telling me they think that going into academia is a terrible idea. That being said, it is kind of nice to have parents who understand how stressful this process is, and who are familiar enough with editing/writing research statements and grant proposals that they could seriously help me with mine. 

Edited by Allouette

My favorite of all time is when my significant other says "when you are in grad school next year... (insert a happy thought or activity here)" I just sent in my applications two weeks ago and jumping to conclusions is not helping the wait.

I'm being asked repeatedly, every day, "so did you get in anywhere?"

I'm pretty sure they only just started reading applications :rolleyes: If this continues for the rest of January I might actually go insane.

I'm being asked repeatedly, every day, "so did you get in anywhere?"

I'm pretty sure they only just started reading applications :rolleyes: If this continues for the rest of January I might actually go insane.

I have told my family and close friends not to ask. This does not keep my neighbors or coworkers from asking, and one friend, instead of asking directly, has her husband periodically text my husband asking a general, "what's up?" which I know is her sneaky way of asking, so it's not really sneaky at all. 

This times a million... My parents have only just stopped actively DISCOURAGING me, and now just have this resigned acceptance of the fact that I'm pursuing a PhD. It's a special brand of cynicism that comes from decades of being in academia, and they make no bones about telling me they think that going into academia is a terrible idea. That being said, it is kind of nice to have parents who understand how stressful this process is, and who are familiar enough with editing/writing research statements and grant proposals that they could seriously help me with mine. 

Ironically, my parents are the opposite. My mother seems to think that I absolutely must have a PhD (no, a master's simply will not do!), so I had better get to work on it. No going back to school later, here. Chop chop!

Definitely. I have trouble telling people that I am nervous about my interview, because the first thing they say is "you'll be fine". If one more person says that, I'll snap. They just don't understand how dismissive it sounds, as if I'm worrying for nothing. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life, for goodness sake.

"You'll be fine" is the worst. Or "don't worry, you'll get in somewhere." -_______-

As a second semester senior in undergrad applying to PhD programs I get this one a lot:

someone: ugh, school is the worst.  I'm so excited to graduate and make lots of money!

me: ...yeah...

someone: oh right, I forgot you're applying to grad school... *awkward*

The over-confidence of other people is also really aggravating. I was SO excited when I got my first interview invite the other day, and all my family could say about it was along the lines of "we're not even surprised, why were you so worried?"  A little enthusiasm would be nice!

The over-confidence of other people is also really aggravating. I was SO excited when I got my first interview invite the other day, and all my family could say about it was along the lines of "we're not even surprised, why were you so worried?"  A little enthusiasm would be nice!

This.

someone: ugh, school is the worst.  I'm so excited to graduate and make lots of money!

me: ...yeah...

someone: oh right, I forgot you're applying to grad school... *awkward*

And this, but I'm not really that jealous of them.  All of their jobs sound boring, honestly.

Ironically, my parents are the opposite. My mother seems to think that I absolutely must have a PhD (no, a master's simply will not do!), so I had better get to work on it. No going back to school later, here. Chop chop!

My mom is the same way. She doesn't want  me to apply to master's programs if I don't get into a doctoral program. She says its a dead end degree even though it would just be a stepping stone for reapplying. Instead she wants me to use the year to post-bacc the rest of the pre-med reqs and go to medical school. Because clinical psychology programs are so similar to med school.  :rolleyes: 

My mom is the same way. She doesn't want  me to apply to master's programs if I don't get into a doctoral program. She says its a dead end degree even though it would just be a stepping stone for reapplying. Instead she wants me to use the year to post-bacc the rest of the pre-med reqs and go to medical school. Because clinical psychology programs are so similar to med school doctors make more money than researchers.   :rolleyes: 

FTFY.

FTFY.

My mom still thinks psychologist=psychiatrist 99% of the time, yet she understand the difference in degrees. I think she hears med school and goes, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, fancy." Much to her chagrin if I wasn't doing psych I would probably try to get into a microbiology doctoral program.  ^_^ 

Though, I can not argue with your "correction" personally. :P