Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

Just the other day, I received a rejection via snail mail and my friend says, "oh well, pittsburgh was too far away anyways," but it didn't end there they also said, "you already got accepted somewhere else so who cares". The program was my first choice.

Just the other day, I received a rejection via snail mail and my friend says, "oh well, pittsburgh was too far away anyways," but it didn't end there they also said, "you already got accepted somewhere else so who cares". The program was my first choice.

Doh!! :( That's awful. I'm sorry about your rejection.

"Ailinna, you're already [X] years old, that's not very young, you know. By the time you finish grad school, you'll be [Y] years old, and no one will want to marry you. You'll end up alone and childless. You should get married first and think about grad school later."

Also, I get the "Oh, I'm sure you'll get in EVERYWHERE, you're BRILLIANT" line a lot. But only from people who dropped out of community college and have no idea what they are talking about.

Oh, and this:

Them: So you're applying to grad school?

Me: Yes, I'm applying to X, Y, and Z [top name schools which accept only the best of the best and require years of immaculate preparation].

Them: Oh, well my [neighbor, friend, boyfriend's sister] applied to [local no-name nothing school], and they got in and are just loving grad school. So I'm sure you'll do fine!

Me: facepalm

Them: Oh, here, let me give you their email address, I'm sure they have tons of great advice for you.

"Wait... why are you getting your Masters in Social Work if you did your undergrad was in Economics?"

"Why do you want to be a Social Worker?"

The same thing happens to me all the time, because I didn't get my undergrad in Social Work either.

Also, people often confuse Social Worker with Social Service Worker and go...."You know you could have just went to college for a year to do that....you're wasting your money"

• 3 weeks later...

From the $12/hr tech support pseudo-friend:

"Geology? Is that even science? What are you gonna do with that... tell a miner where to dig?"

-Well, I might, but more than likely I'll just identify a nice perched aquifer in which to hide your body, a$$hole.

One thing I got which made me really depressed was:

"If you don't get it, it's only because there's something even better out there for you."

The person meant well, but I was, like, exactly what is that? Does this mean there is something better out there and I just spent *ridiculous amount of time* agonizing over this decision and it's details?

Oh one I almost forgot when people hear I'm applying to University of Hawaii (one of my safeties), "Oh, that's awesome! I would love to live in Hawaii! I hope you get in there!" Um... thanks, now if only you could show that kind of enthusiasm for my first choice... Lol. Or, "Why do you want to go to school X more than Hawaii?"

Here's another gem, from my well-intentioned mother: "I knew someone who got his Ph.D. online when he was in his fifties, so maybe you could do that if you don't get in this year!" Annoying at the time. Hilarious now. :)

Lol. I totally relate. When I told my mom that I wanted to go to grad school in mathematics, she was like, "Can't you do that online?" Then she sent me emails for online schools (in which the closest was a a program in mathematics education.) Thank you, Mom, but my programs of interest don't really have an online version.