MFA Creative Writing- Results

PhDreams

I saw that some people were accepted to U of New Orleans MFA Fiction.  I haven't heard yet.  Maybe they don't do all acceptances at once...? :(

I applied there too and haven't heard back yet. I know some places notify you if you're on a wait list. Do others send out acceptances and keep sort of a "second string" they don't notify, who will receive acceptances only if the first decline?

has anyone heard from u of arizona for fiction? 

i've seen that they've notified for poetry and nonfiction, but haven't seen anything about fiction. i assume this means i didn't get in, but maybe they don't do all the acceptances at once. wishful thinking, probably. 

applied to 8 schools, for fiction.

2 confirmed rejections (Cornell, UMass) and 3 assumed rejections (UIowa, UMich, WashU), based on the fact that there are reported acceptances on the results search.

Has anyone else heard from those three, or was that a rogue reporter?

I know that I'll find out eventually, so I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse that these forums (including the MFA Blog) are so deserted this year.

The AWP conference is the rest of the week so I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't any responses for this week and the beginning of next then a rush of them after everyone returns and gets back into the swing of things.

has anyone heard from u of arizona for fiction? 

i've seen that they've notified for poetry and nonfiction, but haven't seen anything about fiction. i assume this means i didn't get in, but maybe they don't do all the acceptances at once. wishful thinking, probably. 

I just heard back that I've been waitlisted at Arizona. Accepted to two (interviewing for assistantships) and rejected from two. Nine left to hear from. Assuming rejection from the Writers' Workshop as well. Tucson is a lovely place but with all the hubbub in the news I'm not sure I could tolerate the political climate. But the program is impeccable. 

Edited by besixdouze

Does anyone know what the typical process is for providing admissions information to applicants? Someone near the beginning of this thread posted a long list of schools that are already notifying students of acceptances, rejections and/or wait-lists. I applied to several of those schools and I haven't heard a word either way, so I'm curious as to how faculties and admissions committees go about this. I have yet to hear back from nine programs. 

On 2/21/2014 at 6:02 PM, KingWalnut said:

I applied to 17 places for an MFA in Fiction. I only applied to places that generally offer full funding to most or all students. So far I've heard from five--four rejections and one acceptance. Here they are: 

USF Tampa - Accepted

I'm an undergrad here at USF right now. Our professors are excellent! Make sure you get in touch with Dr. John Fleming if you do decide to attend--he's a wealth of information and an all-around good guy. (I'm super jealous! I wanted to attend here but it's a bad idea since it's my alma mater.  :D )

I've heard that UMich has contacted everyone that was accepted/wait-listed and I never even heard back about Phase I from Ole Miss. Is that normal? And does anyone have info about WUSTL or Iowa?

As far as Iowa, not a single soul I've spoken with on here or the MFA Draft (Facebook) has heard back from them, so cling firmly to that hope! There's still some left. 

EDIT: Actually, three people on the MFA Draft page have confirmed acceptances from Iowa. Maybe more if I've missed them. Uh-oh.

On 2/27/2014 at 10:39 AM, Dankar1208 said:

I'm an undergrad here at USF right now. Our professors are excellent! Make sure you get in touch with Dr. John Fleming if you do decide to attend--he's a wealth of information and an all-around good guy. (I'm super jealous! I wanted to attend here but it's a bad idea since it's my alma mater.  :D )

I've heard that UMich has contacted everyone that was accepted/wait-listed and I never even heard back about Phase I from Ole Miss. Is that normal? And does anyone have info about WUSTL or Iowa?

Thanks for the tip regarding USF. As far as Ole Miss, I believe that's a rejection. I haven't heard from them either. They say people who go onto the second stage should hear from them late January. Here's a quote:

*If you do not hear from us, you have not moved onto the second stage of the application process and will not be admitted into the  MFA program*

http://mfaenglish.olemiss.edu/how-to-apply/

Any word on UC - Riverside, Old Dominion, Washington University in St. Louis, McNeese, Johns Hopkins, West Virginia, and University of Florida?

I'm in this horrible place of being accepted to two with funding up in the air and wait-listed for another program that's fully funded. I'm really hoping my work is good enough for just one school to say, "You were among our crop of first choices for acceptance AND fund you!" I have Vanderbilt debt and cannot sign much more of my soul over to Sallie Mae. I've read Doctor Faustus. I know how this works.  ;)

Has anybody had any success contacting LSU to find out the length of the wait-list and/or their position on the list? I've emailed, but no response, called, but no answer. Think I'll sit on my hands for now, but thanks for any insight if you have it...

Has anyone heard from U Mich Ann Arbor MFA Fiction? I haven't heard anything. At least they could have sent a rejection or something.  

Edited by Saima

Michigan notified accepted and waitlisted applicants in all genres awhile ago.

Virginia is notifying after March 18th.

West Virginia called accepted applicants a few weeks ago. Rejections and waitlists were sent by mail. I received my waitlist letter a couple of days ago.

Hope this helps!

Edited by menzel24

I was at AWP this past weekend and talked to Portland State University, the poetry department is behind the other departments, but I was told they would make calls for acceptances Sunday (yesterday). In the poetry world that probably means end of this week....

On 2/28/2014 at 4:11 PM, besixdouze said:

Any word on UC - Riverside, Old Dominion, Washington University in St.Louis, McNeese, Johns Hopkins, West Virginia, and University of Florida?

I'm in this horrible place of being accepted to two with funding up in the air and wait-listed for another program that's fully funded. I'm really hoping my work is good enough for just one school to say, "You were among our crop of first choices for acceptance AND fund you!" I have Vanderbilt debt and cannot sign much more of my soul over to Sallie Mae. I've read Doctor Faustus. I know how this works.  ;)

Old Dominion will probably not notify anyone about anything until around St. Patricks day from what the department head said at AWP this weekend.