Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Yes, I noticed.  i'm not being snarky I'm pointing out that New York has 4 flagship state universities.  There is no such thing as the DGS at SUNY.  it's much like leave the "the" out of The Ohio State University.  If you look the way the SUNY's describe themselves these days they are walking away from that acronym for individual schools.

As a native New Yorker and a big sports fan, I'm completely with NEN over proper identification.  Even in high school, we just referred to various SUNYs by their location.

Yes, I noticed.  i'm not being snarky I'm pointing out that New York has 4 flagship state universities.  There is no such thing as the DGS at SUNY.  it's much like leave the "the" out of The Ohio State University.  If you look the way the SUNY's describe themselves these days they are walking away from that acronym for individual schools.

Hey I should have said SUNY Buffalo. Sorry for being unclear because I assume that I put it down there in my signature. 

By the way, I think I ask this too much but I wonder if anybody hear back from Penn State? Got my Harvard rejection in the mail today but still no news from Penn State. Please PM me if you have got any information from them. I appreciate it!  

Edited by getitlow

As a native New Yorker and a big sports fan, I'm completely with NEN over proper identification.  Even in high school, we just referred to various SUNYs by their location.

Heh, same here. I rarely heard the "SUNY" acronym spoken aloud even though a solid quarter of my graduating HS class went to U of Buffalo

Yeah, these days the schools themselves are avoiding the acronym so you will see a lot more of "University of Buffalo" "University of Albany" or "Stony Brook University"

Mostly I also like to point out that crazy number... 62 SUNYs.

most confusing is the differenence between Buffalo State University and the State University of New York at Buffalo

like...what?

The biggest difference is that Buffalo State University is not a flagship university in the SUNY system and it is not a member of AAU (Association of American Universities) while BU or SUNY Buffalo is flagship campus and a member of AAU. You can see the link here: http://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

I hope that helps distinguish the two schools :)

Edited by getitlow

The biggest difference is that Buffalo State University is not a flagship university in the SUNY system and it is not a member of AAU (Association of American Universities) while BU or SUNY Buffalo is flagship campus and a member of AAU. You can see the link here: http://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476'>http://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476   I hope that helps distinguish the two schools :)
Go KU (1909)...

Has anyone heard from Georgetown, George Washington, Maryland, George Mason or Notre Dame?

As posted earlier, all Georgetown admits and waitlists were sent out already after the February 15 graduate committee meeting. The prospective student day is next Monday.

Has anyone heard from Georgetown, George Washington, Maryland, George Mason or Notre Dame?

Hi phdhope...

Like you, I still have heard nothing from Georgetown...no email, no rejection letter waiting for me when I log into their app site. I've contacted the department's grad coordinator for more info and she is looking into it. She indicated that all students should have received notification by now. (maybe a glitch in their system??) 

I expect to receive a rejection letter in the next few days because, as hanlin pointed out, all admitted students received notification in February. If you don't hear back from them soon, perhaps give them a call to check on the status of your app.

Postmarked March 4th. I had not heard anything before it arrived. Best of luck.

Hey I got my U of Maine offer today. Postmarkerd March 5th. I was slightly elated, but information on financial aid still pending. Most likely, I won't go but I'm a bit curious about the financial package. Have you heard anything from the DGS? 

I'm really tired of UC-Riverside and UC-Sand Diego taking forever to get back to me on my MA apps. 

UCR responded super late for my PhD app last year. My guess is that the MA takes longer b/c they want to see how many PhD students they have first.

I just got my funding info, and I wanted to ask you experienced ones a question. My letter claims that my fee remission covers the cost of up to 12 credits. If I'm understanding this correctly, does this mean I don't have to pay anything for 12 credits? And are stipends given to you on a monthly date?

I was going to ask my advisor but I didn't want to bombard him with questions regarding funding. 

Edited by stillalivetui

I just got my funding info, and I wanted to ask you experienced ones a question. My letter claims that my fee remission covers the cost of up to 12 credits. If I'm understanding this correctly, does this mean I don't have to pay anything for 12 credits? And are stipends given to you on a monthly date?

Sort of -- fees and tuition can be separate things. It sounds like you have tuition remission, so you wouldn't pay for the 12 credits. Some schools (including the one I think you're talking about :) ) have smaller fees on top of tuition that come out of the stipend. They're not a big deal.

Also, stipends are given out in big chunks here -- at the beginning of semesters.

My luck changed very lateley. Second acceptance has come from SUNY Binghamton. The professor informed me unofficially about it, and if there is anyone waiting for this school, I could say that the decisions are made, and you'll hear very soon

Just wondering if anyone admitted to the UMass Amherst MA program has gotten anything other than an e-mail from the dept. grad program coordinator?

Yep!  I received their enormous info packet in the mail a couple of weeks ago, in addition to the earlier email from the grad program coordinator.  Hope that helps! :)

Yep!  I received their enormous info packet in the mail a couple of weeks ago, in addition to the earlier email from the grad program coordinator.  Hope that helps! :)

Thanks! Did you wait awhile between the e-mail and the stuff in the mail? I was admitted to their MA program about a week ago and have not heard anything. These applications have worn my patience down to nothing. Also, I'm not sure what it says about my present mental state that the thought of an "enormous info packet" is kind of awesome....

Thanks! Did you wait awhile between the e-mail and the stuff in the mail? I was admitted to their MA program about a week ago and have not heard anything. These applications have worn my patience down to nothing. Also, I'm not sure what it says about my present mental state that the thought of an "enormous info packet" is kind of awesome....

It took a couple of weeks, yeah, so try to be patient!  And honestly, it was mostly full of information about the department, rather than forms they want you to fill out...so no worries!  What they sent me was almost purely stuff meant to sell me on their program. :) It was a really nice packet!