Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Also, someone I know that applied to UIC's program got asked to submit additional information pertaining to a fellowship application, but that was over a month ago. 

I received the official email from UConn's History department today and was invited to the Welcome Weekend. Says there will be a social function put on by graduate students "in my honor" (lol) as well as some roundtable discussions etc. I'm definitely going to attend, but I want to know what to expect and what is expected of me for these sorts of events. Any help?

Yay, History Time!  Congratulations!

I never attended Welcome Weekend at UConn, but I did go at a few other places.  They all varied a bit but usually had an itinerary like:  presentation from the Grad Director, campus tour, chance to meet with your prospective advisers or other professors, some grad student social event, maybe a chance to sit on on a class or some other campus event, and some time to explore the area.  I'm happy to chat further if you'd like, but my best advice is 1. dress for the weather, and 2. enjoy it!  It tends to be a fun time with a lot of excited people.

I received the official email from UConn's History department today and was invited to the Welcome Weekend. Says there will be a social function put on by graduate students "in my honor" (lol) as well as some roundtable discussions etc. I'm definitely going to attend, but I want to know what to expect and what is expected of me for these sorts of events. Any help?
A seminar on putting on snow chains*, multimedia no less... No, these kind of things are designed to give you a sense of the culture of the program. If you bond with these folks, you're much more likely to 1) say yes and 2) be happy once you get there... I just found out that my office at KU will be a shared one with 5-6 other new doctoral students -- designed to build collaboration and cohort/program 'culture.' UConn and ISU aren't exactly balmy per your previous desire to get somewhere more balmy than Minn.

I also applied to UIC, and have heard nothing so I am doubtful that they have started sending things out, but maybe if there is a waitlist up on the board? I still haven't heard from Temple, would it be rude to inquire with the DGS as I know people have started getting notifications and  I am assuming I will get bad news? 

I also applied to UIC, and have heard nothing so I am doubtful that they have started sending things out, but maybe if there is a waitlist up on the board? I still haven't heard from Temple, would it be rude to inquire with the DGS as I know people have started getting notifications and  I am assuming I will get bad news? 

Temple hasn't sent out official word to any one yet (as far as I know), so I believe all info posted here comes from informal emails from the DGS. And he was very friendly in response to the email I sent him, so I would say go for it. 

I've had a fully-funded offer from my second choice (California-Riverside) for nearly two months now, but I'm still waiting to hear from my top choice (Ohio State). A few rejections were posted today, so I logged in hoping that least I'd have firm knowledge, but the online system still shows my application as being "In review." Waiting, waiting, waiting...once I hear from Ohio State either way, I'll know where I'm headed this fall and I can start making plans. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

There've appeared 4 OSU rejections in the last two days, all of them is written to be via website. Yet in my status it is written that my application is still "in review". Anyone knows more about OSU admissions???

There've appeared 4 OSU rejections in the last two days, all of them is written to be via website. Yet in my status it is written that my application is still "in review". Anyone knows more about OSU admissions???

I was admitted to OSU back in late January with a fellowship. The Visitation Day for accepted students is March 22. I would assume that you have to be hearing back soon, one way or another. Sorry if that's not any help to you. :/

I was admitted to OSU back in late January with a fellowship. The Visitation Day for accepted students is March 22. I would assume that you have to be hearing back soon, one way or another. Sorry if that's not any help to you. :/

Thanks for your message and congrats! It is a great program, I would love to pursue a phd there. However, unfortunately those "soon"s never come :)

Has anyone heard from Maine yet? I was under the impression they had made their decisions a week ago, still no word.

All I know is what I posted a couple pages ago - the DGS said early last week (or late the week prior) that notifications would go out "very soon," and that acceptances/rejections are just being finalized by the Graduate School.

Where did you get the impression that they made decisions weeks ago? I know one person posted an acceptance in, like, December but I think that was either an outlier or a mistake.

As far as e-mailing the Temple DGS, I feel bad since the poor guy is probably getting inundated by grad cafe folks these last two weeks, but many of us found out about our results this way, so I say go for it.

I've had a fully-funded offer from my second choice (California-Riverside) for nearly two months now, but I'm still waiting to hear from my top choice (Ohio State). A few rejections were posted today, so I logged in hoping that least I'd have firm knowledge, but the online system still shows my application as being "In review." Waiting, waiting, waiting...once I hear from Ohio State either way, I'll know where I'm headed this fall and I can start making plans. Waiting, waiting, waiting...
Hi! So turns out I actually know a little bit about OSU admissions! My POI told my undergrad advisor (they are friends) that I got in at the end of January, but I hadn't heard a single thing from the school and was going slowly out of my mind. But then today I got an email from my undergrad advisor saying that he just received a note from my POI saying that the official notifications on admissions should go out very soon. So, all is not lost and they are definitely still going to send out that second wave of acceptances. They just seem to be really late this year. Oh, and my status still says "In Review," too.

Make sure you answer weird numbers! I received about 20 calls last night from a strange number that was untraceable. They didn't leave a voicemail and my logic has always been: if they need me they will leave a voicemail. Anyway, it turns out it was a POI letting me know about a fellowship offer!! 

Hi! So turns out I actually know a little bit about OSU admissions! My POI told my undergrad advisor (they are friends) that I got in at the end of January, but I hadn't heard a single thing from the school and was going slowly out of my mind. But then today I got an email from my undergrad advisor saying that he just received a note from my POI saying that the official notifications on admissions should go out very soon. So, all is not lost and they are definitely still going to send out that second wave of acceptances. They just seem to be really late this year. Oh, and my status still says "In Review," too.

Thanks for the information, then it means there is stil hope I think

Just got waitlisted by UVA. Very nice letter noting that they were admitting fewer students this year (15/300+) and that I was near the very top of the list, implying that they might have a place for me after they hear back about who's accepting their offers.

Edited by czesc

Thanks, vt! A couple more details for anyone curious about UVA: they also said this year's process was "more selective than anyone can remember" and that part of the reason for trimming the cohort was to offer full funding for everyone (presumably they didn't before?)

...and because what goes up must come down, Chicago just rejected me. I guess don't presume you're getting a MAPSS referral until they actually come; they're rejecting in waves.

Edited by czesc

So for those of you out there who have offers and are also on waitlists, what are your plans?  Are you still holding out hope for those programs, or are you already seeing yourself somewhere you've been accepted to?  Just curious. :)

Just got waitlisted by UVA. Very nice letter noting that they were admitting fewer students this year (15/300+) and that I was near the very top of the list, implying that they might have a place for me after they hear back about who's accepting their offers.

Congrats! I still haven't heard anything, and there is no change for may application status yet as well.

Does it mean that all admitted and waitlisted ones are decided? These universities even don't bother to sent me rejections :(

...and because what goes up must come down, Chicago just rejected me. I guess don't presume you're getting a MAPSS referral until they actually come; they're rejecting in waves.

BRB panicking.

So for those of you out there who have offers and are also on waitlists, what are your plans?  Are you still holding out hope for those programs, or are you already seeing yourself somewhere you've been accepted to?  Just curious. :)

I'm not ruling out any of my waitlist places, but I'm pretty much already picturing myself at Cornell, since at this point, it makes no sense to get used to the idea of being somewhere that may still reject me. I can't say how this would affect my decision-making process if I were to be admitted somewhere else on April 14...but it would definitely be crazy to have all the preconceptions about where I'd inevitably be that had been percolating for weeks switched up in an instant. It would definitely be nice if there were some buffer period for waitlisted students to be able to go on visiting days after their formal admission, in order to make a choice based on the same amount of information available to initial admits and to give them time to process an informed decision.

Congrats! I still haven't heard anything, and there is no change for may application status yet as well.

Does it mean that all admitted and waitlisted ones are decided? These universities even don't bother to sent me rejections :(

I wish I could tell you. My letter said I was near the top of their list, and that may have implied it was somewhat personalized and that they're issuing more letters as the day/week goes on. Or it could just be what they tell everyone to make them feel better and ensure their waitlistees stick around to contribute to their yield when spots do open up. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by czesc