Who here has applied... THREE times?

cokohlik

this will be my third time around the block---

1st time-applied to 3 Masters programs, accepted by 2, attended the school with full funding

2nd time-applied to 8 PhD programs, rejected by all of them

3rd time-applying this upcoming Fall for 2014. Planning on applying to 12 schools, possibly more depending on time and money

It was harder than hell getting one rejection letter/email after another this past spring, but over time it became more and more obvious why my applications weren't being accepted. Many flaws that I did not recognize until AFTER I applied.

I'm glad I tried last year, otherwise I wouldn't have any clue just how much work my applications need.

I also did three rounds of applications.  I wrote all new SOPs each year, made sure I spent my year on things that improved my CV and application, and on the third try got into my dream school with funding.  Sometimes, especially with competitive programs, it's just a matter of numbers, and it's not necessarily about 'you' -- you have to think of it more like the lottery.  If you're sure this is what you want to do, just keep swimming. 

• 5 months later...

I'm on my third attempt as well!  :unsure:

As an undergraduate I figured I'd go on to graduate school, but I decided to enter the "real world" after graduating from college to get some experience first.  By 2011 I had two years of professional research experience, was published, was resolved in my decision to pursue a graduate education, and decided to apply for PhD programs (Fall 2012 start).  I applied to 5 schools... and was rejected from all.  I was disappointed, but looking back (of course hindsight is 20/20) my research interests weren't as solidly developed as they should have been, and the schools I chose weren't perfect fits.  Lesson learned.

I figured another year of professional experience wouldn't hurt, so I reevaluated my research goals and applied again for Fall 2013.  8 schools this time... once again, rejected from all.  As you can imagine, by this time I was feeling pretty dejected.

The application process was both mentally and financially draining, and it didn't help that as soon as the rejections came through, it was time to start up applications again for the next year.  However, as I stepped up to bat for the third year in a row, I decided that I was no longer going to take a hit-the-submit-button-and-wait-for-things-to-happen approach.  My third attempt would be my final attempt.  It was time to go all in.

I had always read up on publications and emailed professors before applying to programs, but this time I decided to go above and beyond.  I read books and journal articles and volunteered at a program related to my research interests.  I really honed in on exactly what I plan to pursue in graduate school.  I "linked" with professors on LinkedIn.  I emailed program directors, graduate counselors, graduate students, and professors.  And I began to get responses. 

And then... (and this is where my plan really goes off the road)... I invited myself for an interview. 

Yes, I invited myself for an interview.  I asked a professor if it would be okay to swing by to discuss his work while I was in the area, and he agreed.  Unfortunately "in the area" meant buying a plane ticket and flying across the country.  But he didnt' need to know that, and I was determined to do anything within my power to get my name out there.  Our informal interview turned into an entire afternoon of chatting and touring his lab, and by the end I knew that his program was the perfect place to pursue my graduate application.  I was so determined to get involved with this program that I invited myself out once more to meet additional members of the program.

Was this an unorthodox approach?  Yes.  I know that. 

Was it crazy?  Maybe. 

Was it worth it?  I have no idea.  I'm still waiting. 

It was a bold approach born out of a desperate situation, but it was also an incredibly valuable experience.  I've learned just how badly I want this.  I've learned how to network.  And, above all, I have discovered a determination and a confidence I didn't know I possessed.  I still have no idea if it will pay off in the end, but at least I know I have tried my hardest and can live with this being my third and final attempt, no matter how things work out  :)

This entire thread makes me want to throw up. As someone who is applying this year for the first time, I'm realizing how terrible I'll feel if I don't get in anywhere, which is seeming more and more like a possibility after reading this!

This is round 3 for me as well. First time applying, received one interview, didn't get in post interview. Round 2- Shot for the moon and ended up with radio silence the whole time. Round 3, I've focused on fit. Hopefully 5 years of professional research experience will count for something...

Round 2 here.  I even blogged during my first attempt two years ago, when I was applying straight out of undergrad.  I'm hoping two years as a lab manager and a set of publications will serve me well this time around.  Otherwise I'm considering joining the Peace Corps or Avodah (a Jewish anti-poverty organization) for 2 years before reapplying.

Edited by gellert

I guess this is my 3rd or 4th go, maybe even 5th, depending on how one counts.

1st: MA apps, 2008-09 season. accepted 3 out of 4.

2nd: phd apps, 2010-11 season. accepted 2 out of 3.

Next: January 2013: after much disappointment at my chosen school, and given limitations of time, resources, and remaining deadline windows at the time I came to a decision to apply, I made a single app to a school that already had most of my transcripts from round 1. Thus 0 out of 1.

Next: early fall 2013: delved into a posted offer for a funded PhD program in New Zealand. Did not pan out. 0 out of 1.

Next: late fall 2013: current round of apps (3).

I haven't read the other responses, but I'm gonna go ahead and post my bit.

This is my 3rd go at it, bruh. The summary is as follows:

1st shot: I was a bullshit candidate, and I knew it. I had graduated from my undergraduate institution, but had lousy GRE scores and a worse GPA. I didn't know what else there was to do, and all I'd ever known was academia. That rejection hurt, man.

2nd shot: I had finished a year of post-bacc courses in my undergraduate University's MA in International Affairs. I did really well, but the schools still said no. I was upset, but understood.

This is my 3rd shot at the goal. Since my previous attempt, I worked on the 2012 Presidential Election and I'm currently teaching English in South Korea. I've learned a lot since I graduated from University and am a much better candidate than I was before. Right now, I spend most of my time carving away at my Statement of Purpose. And if I get rejected? I'm applying again, because I don't give a fuck. I've been paying my dues and I want that Graduate-level education. I've put the work in and will keep going at it until I get what I want, because I've put in way too much work to quit now.

• 1 month later...

First two rounds I applied to all NYC schools. I didnt think I was hot sh*t, it just happened that we have good programs here and the thought of relocating (I have children) made me uncomfortable. This time around I cast as wider net and applied to 12. As close as 10mins from my home to aaaaalllllllllll the way in Boulder, CO (the kids are grown and dont need me around much anymore). I have four interviews.

This entire thread makes me want to throw up. As someone who is applying this year for the first time, I'm realizing how terrible I'll feel if I don't get in anywhere, which is seeming more and more like a possibility after reading this!

^^This, so much this.

Domino: did or do you have a Masters when you were applying to PhDs?

I'm on my third attempt as well!  :unsure:

As an undergraduate I figured I'd go on to graduate school, but I decided to enter the "real world" after graduating from college to get some experience first.  By 2011 I had two years of professional research experience, was published, was resolved in my decision to pursue a graduate education, and decided to apply for PhD programs (Fall 2012 start).  I applied to 5 schools... and was rejected from all.  I was disappointed, but looking back (of course hindsight is 20/20) my research interests weren't as solidly developed as they should have been, and the schools I chose weren't perfect fits.  Lesson learned.

I figured another year of professional experience wouldn't hurt, so I reevaluated my research goals and applied again for Fall 2013.  8 schools this time... once again, rejected from all.  As you can imagine, by this time I was feeling pretty dejected.

The application process was both mentally and financially draining, and it didn't help that as soon as the rejections came through, it was time to start up applications again for the next year.  However, as I stepped up to bat for the third year in a row, I decided that I was no longer going to take a hit-the-submit-button-and-wait-for-things-to-happen approach.  My third attempt would be my final attempt.  It was time to go all in.

I had always read up on publications and emailed professors before applying to programs, but this time I decided to go above and beyond.  I read books and journal articles and volunteered at a program related to my research interests.  I really honed in on exactly what I plan to pursue in graduate school.  I "linked" with professors on LinkedIn.  I emailed program directors, graduate counselors, graduate students, and professors.  And I began to get responses. 

And then... (and this is where my plan really goes off the road)... I invited myself for an interview. 

Yes, I invited myself for an interview.  I asked a professor if it would be okay to swing by to discuss his work while I was in the area, and he agreed.  Unfortunately "in the area" meant buying a plane ticket and flying across the country.  But he didnt' need to know that, and I was determined to do anything within my power to get my name out there.  Our informal interview turned into an entire afternoon of chatting and touring his lab, and by the end I knew that his program was the perfect place to pursue my graduate application.  I was so determined to get involved with this program that I invited myself out once more to meet additional members of the program.

Was this an unorthodox approach?  Yes.  I know that. 

Was it crazy?  Maybe. 

Was it worth it?  I have no idea.  I'm still waiting. 

It was a bold approach born out of a desperate situation, but it was also an incredibly valuable experience.  I've learned just how badly I want this.  I've learned how to network.  And, above all, I have discovered a determination and a confidence I didn't know I possessed.  I still have no idea if it will pay off in the end, but at least I know I have tried my hardest and can live with this being my third and final attempt, no matter how things work out  :)

Domino: did or do you have a Masters when you were applying to PhDs?

Nope, no Masters.  Though I don't think that was the issue holding me back, as many of the students who did get accepted to the programs I applied to did not have their Masters either.  I was actually advised not to get a Masters if a PhD was my ultimate goal, as it doesn't significantly cut down on requirements for a PhD program and would most likely be unfunded (which would mean lots more debt). 

I did spend 4 years in the "real world" working as a research coordinator, and during those years published 4 papers and presented at multiple conferences, so I think it was actually more valuable experience than a Masters program would have been.  And based on the feedback I received after my interview a few weeks ago... the graduate faculty think so too :D Keeping my fingers crossed for an acceptance soon...

ACCEPTED!!!  After three years of trudging through the application process again and again, I have been accepted to my top choice! 

So to anyone else out there who has had to endure rejection after rejection, do not give up.  Do not lose heart.  Trust in yourself and your abilities and keep at it... because it can happen :D  It may take some extra effort and unorthodox approaches, but if you want it as bad as I did, do whatever it takes.  It's worth it.  You can do it!