Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

I'm wondering if Pitt is going to release more acceptances.... Did anyone claim the acceptance posted yesterday?

Has anyone talked to Pitt recently? I called a few weeks ago and they were already reviewing applications (I was sending something in and verifying information). It seems they may have made a few admits from their top candidates, but their broader acceptances not yet. I'd much rather today than tomorrow... 

Also eager to hear from UNC.

.... Would any of the 21 lurkers currently lurking like to join the fun and claim that one? I'd love to hear some details.

I'm one of the lurkers, but sadly can't claim the Pitt acceptance.

Very nervous for Duke, so I'll probably spend the day hitting refresh on the results board and forum. (At the moment, I'm forcing myself to observe a 30-minute cooldown between result checks. We'll see how long that lasts).

I'm one of the lurkers, but sadly can't claim the Pitt acceptance.

Very nervous for Duke, so I'll probably spend the day hitting refresh on the results board and forum. (At the moment, I'm forcing myself to observe a 30-minute cooldown between result checks. We'll see how long that lasts).

I was a duke applicant last year, before I realized that the fit really wasn't good for me. They are very prompt, but also very good about updating everywhere at once (online, email, etc.). Try to relax and take a bit longer between refreshes though...!

I'm also a waiting Pitt applicant, but no word yet. Has anyone heard anything about Michigan State? I saw that there was one acceptance from them today.

I'm also a waiting Pitt applicant, but no word yet. Has anyone heard anything about Michigan State? I saw that there was one acceptance from them today.

Staffer at MSU emailed me (1/18/13) asking for a final LOR that hadn't arrived yet (error in communication between me and my advisor) so that they could nominate me for the University Distinguished Fellowship. I asked if that meant I was accepted and they said yes, but we are waiting to hear about funding which will come in later in Feb, early March.

My guess is they only contacted me because I was missing a piece of my app.

Congrats! Any info that is useful to us hopefuls?

Thanks! I did not get a sense of when additional decisions would be made, but looking at previous years, I doubt the wait will be much longer. The prof who called mentioned that, in American politics at least, this was their strongest applicant pool in recent memory.

Thanks! I did not get a sense of when additional decisions would be made, but looking at previous years, I doubt the wait will be much longer. The prof who called mentioned that, in American politics at least, this was their strongest applicant pool in recent memory.

Thanks for this! I figure they will be coming out over the next few days, that's why I'm so anxious. It will be my first acceptance/rejection.

New lurker here. I'm happy to say I am 2 for 2 with Penn State and FSU. Waiting patiently, or not so patiently for news on my other schools. Congrats to everyone who has been getting good news.

Hey pingsmile, it just occurred to me that we might be in the same cohort. Are you thinking of going?

I did not get any funding information in my package. Did yours come in a big white envelope from the department, saying we are given an adviser and 3 weeks to decide? No funding would be a deal breaker for me. 

I did not get any funding information in my package. Did yours come in a big white envelope from the department, saying we are given an adviser and 3 weeks to decide? No funding would be a deal breaker for me.

You have a limit on the offer? wow. 3 weeks, I thought you get till April 15

You have a limit on the offer? wow. 3 weeks, I thought you get till April 15

that's unreasonable right? I called them just now, they say funding has all been given out, and 3 weeks deadline is not rigid, but 5 weeks would be the max. 

that's unreasonable right? I called them just now, they say funding has all been given out, and 3 weeks deadline is not rigid, but 5 weeks would be the max. 

They are trying to snatch you up before the big decisions come out. Smart on their part, if its well funded, it may be worth thinking about.

As I sit here with no answer either way as of now.

I did not get any funding information in my package. Did yours come in a big white envelope from the department, saying we are given an adviser and 3 weeks to decide? No funding would be a deal breaker for me. 

This is my first round, so maybe I'm naive... but why would they give out an acceptance without funding so early in the game? Don't those usually come later in the process?

And I agree, with no funding info, 3-5 weeks is a bit unreasonable.

So you don't even get to go see the department? This is a big decision to make and I would find it frustrating that they want final answers from their accepted students before other schools will even have their visitations.

So you don't even get to go see the department? This is a big decision to make and I would find it frustrating that they want final answers from their accepted students before other schools will even have their visitations.

He/She has no funding and its all been given out