Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Comparative. So get ready for me to constantly and obnoxiously insist that "America" is just a comparative case study.

Hi,

Wonder if you remember me. Two cycles ago I got to know you on the forum, and you told me in PM that your chance at the time was really low. Now I want to say many many congratulations to you for getting into an awesome program!!

I am applying next cycle.

Just wanted to brag about something... I tore myself away for FIVE whole hours, and did not once check Grad Cafe.  I was awake the whole time, so this is a major step forward in believing that I can get past my addiction!  My previous record in the last two weeks has, honestly, probably been about three hours... and that was not by choice.  All I'm saying is that there is hope; even if you haven't gotten in anywhere, such as myself.

jazzrap, RWGB and adaptations,

I am humbled and grateful that you all remember me from a couple of years ago. That kind of support is truly invaluable to me. I spent a fair amount of time discussing the specifics of my qualifications and goals with you and some others during that cycle and it was in no small part those conversations that led me to risk a couple years in a terminal master's. I'm elated that it's paid off. I hope the same happens for you, jazzrap. My story and lots of others here suggests that it could.

I think the best thing that I've taken from my two years of intermittent posting at Gradcafe is that there passionate, compassionate, people in this field, whatever challenges lie ahead.

To all my babies with me this cycle: rest up. We've got a busy week next week.

Note to self: snow storms + grad cafe = not a good idea. If i thought it was bad sitting at a desk all day at work where I could easily check gc, now I know that sitting at home with nothing to do is far worse. So much so that I dreamt about check gc. Thank god it's Satruday!

Just received an ambiguous email from the Director of Graduate Admissions at Emory as follows:

-----

Dear Mr. XXX, 

I am writing you with an update on the status of your application to the Emory Ph.D. program. We are unable to make you an offer of admission at this point; however, this may change as the spring semester unfolds. 

The department is very impressed with you. We anticipate that you will have many options this spring and understand that you may not be available if and when we become able to make you an offer. That said, if you remain interested, I am happy to answer any questions that you might have about our program or our admissions process. If you have to make a decision and are still interested in Emory, please call or email and I will update you immediately about your status. 

I wish I were writing with an admission offer, as I think you will fit well in our program.

-----

It seems that I am waitlisted, but I cannot clarify my status because of the euphemism. Can anybody help me?

Edited by lucid1984

Just received an ambiguous email from the Director of Graduate Admissions at Emory as follows:

-----

Dear Mr. XXX, 

I am writing you with an update on the status of your application to the Emory Ph.D. program. We are unable to make you an offer of admission at this point; however, this may change as the spring semester unfolds. 

The department is very impressed with you. We anticipate that you will have many options this spring and understand that you may not be available if and when we become able to make you an offer. That said, if you remain interested, I am happy to answer any questions that you might have about our program or our admissions process. If you have to make a decision and are still interested in Emory, please call or email and I will update you immediately about your status. 

I wish I were writing with an admission offer, as I think you will fit well in our program.

-----

It seems that I am waitlisted, but I cannot clarify my status because of the euphemism. Can anybody help me?

That was what I said! I asked a professor who said it was a waitlist.

Lately, I've been having dreams of receiving decision emails from my remaining schools, but for some reason, they don't open when I click on them. Tormented even in my sleep.

I got the Emory waitlist email today as well. I'm not sure what to think about it. People apparently got waitlisted that went to the interview weekend. I did not get invited. So, would that mean I'm even further down the waitlist?

You're kidding me? People are receiving stuff today?

Sigh.

Even the weekends aren't safe!!

Since we still have Saturday delivery, maybe just maybe, there will be a snail mail delivery from MIT today... If not, i'm sure the letter was just held up by the monster blizzard... Right?!? Right?!?

Edited by PhDhopeful2013

Just wanted to brag about something... I tore myself away for FIVE whole hours, and did not once check Grad Cafe. I was awake the whole time, so this is a major step forward in believing that I can get past my addiction! My previous record in the last two weeks has, honestly, probably been about three hours... and that was not by choice. All I'm saying is that there is hope; even if you haven't gotten in anywhere, such as myself.

Can we add to your previous (hilarious) GC addiction post? It could move into the "my life started falling apart b/c of Grad Cafe" phase... i.e. i lost my job b/c i got flagged by the IT dept for checking GC all day long... Or, my relationship fell apart b/c i couldn't get through a meal without compulsively checking the results page or sneaking away for a quick forum fix.... Edited by PhDhopeful2013

I got the Emory waitlist email today as well. I'm not sure what to think about it. People apparently got waitlisted that went to the interview weekend. I did not get invited. So, would that mean I'm even further down the waitlist?

Second. I was not interviewed either. So I am a little bit confused about the email. Moreover, as far as I know, Emory's class size is extremely small (five to six). How many people are waitlisted normally?