Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

As of Michigan notification... three rejections, no acceptances.  I'm starting to feel like I couldn't get into a decent pre-school.

Chin up, all we can do now is carry on. I'm in the same boat, except with a waitlist. It isn't over till it is over though.

Chin up, all we can do now is carry on. I'm in the same boat, except with a waitlist. It isn't over till it is over though.

Sorry to all the Michigan rejections, very competitive programme :(

I'm in the same boat as those wemayet, not feeling too great with no acceptances. Have to keep up the morale though. Just. Need. One.

Thank you both for the encouragement.  I really am glad for the people with admits.  For those sitting on a heap of rejections - I feel ya.  You're right Tupamaros, just need one. 

While I am a strong Obama supporter...do you think he would function better as a President or a Supreme Court Justice? Taft was both and he said he loved his time on the Court more so than his time as president.

Be it that Obama was President of the Harvard Law Review and a Constitutional Law Scholar, I think he may have been better at being a Justice.

Thoughts?

While I am a strong Obama supporter...do you think he would function better as a President or a Supreme Court Justice? Taft was both and he said he loved his time on the Court more so than his time as president.

Be it that Obama was President of the Harvard Law Review and a Constitutional Law Scholar, I think he may have been better at being a Justice.

Thoughts?

I would give some thoughts, but I try to refrain from American political conversations on boards like this.  I am a libertarian with somewhat of a conservative bent, and I have been highly displeased with both recent presidents.

The Berkeley email was to check the status on the site, with a PDF on the site...so unsure if it is a blast or not. Possibly they are going in some sort of alphabetical order? I am SO EXCITED, my personal statement for Berkeley was a mess but I think if they liked it, they will like me!

Really best of luck you guys. Y'all are so supportive. Hearts.

I'm sorry to ask again but I'm freaking out - are any of the Berkeley admits for IR?

I can't take bad news today. I have my thesis review tomorrow. I should be prepping but I keep coming here to check what's happening. =/

Don't worry, I'm not IR! I think the admits have mostly been American? Edited by runner12

The Berkeley email was to check the status on the site, with a PDF on the site...so unsure if it is a blast or not. Possibly they are going in some sort of alphabetical order? I am SO EXCITED, my personal statement for Berkeley was a mess but I think if they liked it, they will like me!

Really best of luck you guys. Y'all are so supportive. Hearts.

Thanks for this and congrats again!

just got waitlisted at Upenn. it was a weird email, basically saying you've been admitted but there's no funding, Penn  requires that every grad student receive full funding, so until we come through with the money, you actually haven't been admitted. I heard M.I.T. Econ does the same thing and that if you get the NSF, you're in.

It's gotta be tough for the smaller programs. Having said that if i were Penn and I wanted to woo people away from the top 10, I'd start by offering bigger and better fellowships. But I suppose that ~25k per year x 5 is not trivial.

Cash Rules Everything Around me,

Edited by setgree

LOL guys. Just got a second rejection letter from Michigan, except it's clearly not for me (I have no idea what the Bunche institute is). Posting in case someone else recognizes it. 

"I'm writing in my capacity as the director of grad admissions in Political Science at the University of Michigan. It was nice to meet you at the Bunche Summer Institute last June and see you again at our Emerging Scholars conference in September, and I am glad you were interested in our program. Our admissions committee has now finished its review, and unfortunately we are not able to admit you. We received a large number of incredibly competitive applications and were able to admit less than ten percent of the applicants.

I am sorry to be the bearer of what must be disappointing news. I do wish you the best of luck in your applications and for your future in general."