Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

I'll chime in another vote from a current grad student for not worrying about contacting profs. If you want to know if your numbers make you competitive, there are admin staff who can answer that. But I can pretty much tell you how an email to my advisor would go. I assume that he'd reply (there's a decent chance he wouldn't, but he's generally no less than polite given the alternatives). His reply would be 2-3 sentences saying that he's glad you are interested and he thinks you should apply (unless there was something in your email that made him think you had zero probability of being selected by the admissions committee). Then, he'd completely forget everything about it because he's not on the admissions committee.

I guess I have little hope of going to NW as well. 

Even now, so late into the game, I haven't received a single reply from any school.

don't despair! from your list of schools... no one has heard from Brown, Harvard, or Princeton.  I think it's safe to assume that Duke is done with acceptances, but I wouldn't completely rule out UNC just yet.  I can't speak to LSE or Oxford.  Still a ways to go!

Edited by PhDhopeful2013

Hang in there.. Probably waitlisted all around

I am sure you will hear back from programs soon! Hang in there...It is only February...

Thanks. Good luck to you too. 

Welp, was wondering why I hadn't heard back from Cornell yet so I emailed them and turns out someone just forgot to send me my rejection letter. Oh well, at least now i know!

Sorry about that - that's a bummer!

In at Indiana University - Bloomington; Other schools been accepted at: FSU, Texas A&M, Illinois, Waitlisted at Rice

Congrats! =) 

If I may ask, what subfield are you? And how did you get to know? I applied there too and actually thought it was one of my best fits so now I'm anxious. 

Also in at Indiana - I'm super excited. This is my second go-around and Indiana is actually the only school that I re-applied to from last year.

Hope everyone gets good news soon! 

That's awesome! Congratulations!!!

Some kids seem to think way too highly of themselves judging from the comments in the results search.

I noticed that as well. Young and immature. Was probably told his/her entire life how wonderful they are by their parents/professors. Wait until they enter the real world. They are in for a shock, but will hopefully grow up quickly. 

Some kids seem to think way too highly of themselves judging from the comments in the results search.

I noticed that as well. Young and immature. Was probably told his/her entire life how wonderful they are by their parents/professors. Wait until they enter the real world. They are in for a shock, but will hopefully grow up quickly. 

Cannot agree more.