Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

From what I've gathered throughout the last year or so, fit only seems to matter with certain programs, though it's hard to say exactly which.  A given department's size, pedigree, subfield needs, composition of the adcomm, etc. could all impact the relative importance of fit.  

For what its worth (we could argue this endlessly and still never have an answer).. from what I did hear from a POI (at a top program), part of the admissions process is forming tentative committees for applicants, "if we cannot form a committee for an applicant, we are unlikely to admit them."  And he later tweeted about reviewing applications which suggests a) he was on the adcom or B) the processes at that program is decentralized to the point where profs review specific applicants who share their interests in some final round.  When you see those 3.9s and great scores being rejected from places like Stanford on the results board, it isn't because Stanford had enough 4.0s and perfect 340s.  I've seen a couple people on here who were given advice, something to the effect of "apply to top programs (because it isn't worth going otherwise) then determine "best fit" from the ones that accept you" and ended up striking out in the first round.  From working on my MA thesis (currently), I can tell you it is rough being in a department where no one is interested in or seems to fully understand your research (the two most appropriate advisors took leave the same year).  This would leave me deeply concerned with any program that didn't consider "fit" when reviewing applicants.  

As far as the stochastic nature of it, it is ABSOLUTELY possible that you were a great fit for a certain advisor or program but another applicant was a better fit or had a slightly more interesting/unique research interest or qualification.  In that regard, there are probably a lot of great people who fit well and are rejected, but I would imagine every applicant admitted is probably a good fit (even if only by coincidence).  

You have a lot of great points, but i would be remiss if i didn't say that you are always better off considering fit on which programs to apply to than selecting programs based on something like geography, pedigree (at least exclusively), atmosphere, or football team ;).  All my schools were chosen based on fit (where I could put together a committee of 3 or more (with rankings anywhere from 5 to 60-something)) and I am expecting an oh-for-nine strikeout at this point - but I just can't imagine selecting programs any other way... and would be interested/curious how others chose their programs if it was based on something else.  

Thank you all for the support and laughs through this process.  Looks like I'm a bust across the board.

I took a lot for granted, didn't develop POIs, didn't get my matches to schools ("fit") lined up very well, and perhaps worst of all I didn't sufficiently clarify my research area or subfield; coming from a Master's in another field, so many subfields and research areas sounded good to me!  Having 3.7 in MA, GRE composite of 324, and some other pluses, I figured some program would take me... but that's just not enough at this level!  Learned a lot from you all, and I have a great respect for what it takes to land a good spot ~ congratulations to those of you who pulled it off. 

I'm going to put my search results addiction to rest, but I'll check in to see where you've all gone... perhaps later this year I'll start a "round two" thread, haha.  Best of luck to you all!

Right there with you, Wemayet, (and with almost identical scores/MA GPA), know you're not alone.  I'm honestly tempted to start that thread now (though i have "assumed" some rejections) because I'd be curious to know how people have made/will make use of their time between cycles or what they've done beyond retake tests and rewrite statements to strengthen their credentials.  

For some or another reason in an earlier posts, you struck me as someone with similar interests or background or something, but in any case, I have been rooting for you.  Good luck.  

From working on my MA thesis (currently), I can tell you it is rough being in a department where no one is interested in or seems to fully understand your research (the two most appropriate advisors took leave the same year).  This would leave me deeply concerned with any program that didn't consider "fit" when reviewing applicants.  

+1,000,000,000

The only thing my research frequently has in common with a single individual in the department (my adviser) is the geographic location. It's a shot in the dark sometimes trying to find help. On the other hand, it's also forced me to explain my research to people with decades of research experience, which can't be bad for my own learning process.

still no word from stanford... is it reasonable to think they are done?

Most of us have either been rejected (me) or accepted.  According to their graduate coordinator, all applicants were supposed to have heard by Wednesday.  I would email the department or give them a call.  No news is better than a flat-out rejection, at least in a sense.

Has anyone relinquished offers yet? What is going to make you give them up?

Personally waiting another week until I'm positive on all of the news I will receive. I want to make sure I visit each place I'm considering and then I think narrowing it down should (?) be easier. Still planning to mostly choose prior to April 15 for the sake of depts and other applicants.

Thank you all for the support and laughs through this process.  Looks like I'm a bust across the board.

I took a lot for granted, didn't develop POIs, didn't get my matches to schools ("fit") lined up very well, and perhaps worst of all I didn't sufficiently clarify my research area or subfield; coming from a Master's in another field, so many subfields and research areas sounded good to me!  Having 3.7 in MA, GRE composite of 324, and some other pluses, I figured some program would take me... but that's just not enough at this level!  Learned a lot from you all, and I have a great respect for what it takes to land a good spot ~ congratulations to those of you who pulled it off. 

I'm going to put my search results addiction to rest, but I'll check in to see where you've all gone... perhaps later this year I'll start a "round two" thread, haha.  Best of luck to you all!

I'm sorry to hear about round 1 for you... but it sounds as though you are already looking ahead to round 2 with concrete ways to improve your app.  I'm sure you will succeed next time :)  Good luck!

I've seen a couple people on here who were given advice, something to the effect of "apply to top programs (because it isn't worth going otherwise) then determine "best fit" from the ones that accept you" and ended up striking out in the first round.  From working on my MA thesis (currently), I can tell you it is rough being in a department where no one is interested in or seems to fully understand your research (the two most appropriate advisors took leave the same year).  This would leave me deeply concerned with any program that didn't consider "fit" when reviewing applicants.  

All my schools were chosen based on fit (where I could put together a committee of 3 or more (with rankings anywhere from 5 to 60-something)) and I am expecting an oh-for-nine strikeout at this point - but I just can't imagine selecting programs any other way... and would be interested/curious how others chose their programs if it was based on something else.  

Hey Eponine997, lots of great points here. I'm sorry to hear that things haven't panned out. It also sounds like you've got a really solid take on it and aren't getting discouraged which is awesome. i thought I'd respond to a couple specific points here.

1) I am a person who had a professor say, in his loveably austere British accent, "Go to a top ten program, or don't go." I mostly took that advice when applying to programs. My thinking was, given the competitiveness of the academic job market, grad school really only makes sense if you go somewhere with a strong placement record. Top 10 was a reasonable stand-in for that (and I didn't apply to Rochester because I'm a baby).  Although my SOP was quite specific to my particular research plan, I customized no more than 3-4 sentences of it to each school and its professors, and contacted no one prior to admission. I've gotten into Chicago, Cornell and Columbia. (It also helped to come from an undergrad institution with a strong record of placing people in Ph.D programs). And FWIW I got waitlisted on funding at U Penn, which is the only school I applied to by virtue of fit rather than ranking.

2) my best friend is applying to econ Ph.D programs this year. He works as an RA for a professor who was recently drafted by Stanford from Harvard; his take, from talking to his supervisors and college profs, was that the very top econ programs barely look at your Statement, because a] they think you'll probably change your research interests a lot in grad school and b] they've got enough people to cover a broad range of possibilities. So I wouldn't be too skeptical of programs that don't care much about fit. They might know a lot more than we do about the typical trajectory about an academic-to-be.

Good luck!

Edited by setgree

Dude, sorry the cycle is ending like this for you. This happened to me before once and it isn't a great feeling.

I'm very happy to see you have the right attitude. I had similar stats (higher in some places and lower in a couple of others, from what I've seen) and I've managed to have an interim year that has really helped me out. My "fit" with the schools I apply to seems to have undergone a marked change and I'm getting into good places. I know you will do the same next cycle and that, if this is what you commit to doing, you will make a great political scientist.

still no word from stanford... is it reasonable to think they are done?

Interesting. Maybe they're waiting to notify people on a waitlist? I haven't seen any waitlisters yet on the results board. Would be interested to hear how it turns out for you...keep us posted!

Been a pretty quiet week. Was hoping my remaining schools put put me out of my misery by the weekend.

agreed.  i thought this week would be the busiest one yet, but instead it's been one of the more quiet weeks in the cycle... these adcomms sure know how to keep us guessing.... i'm ready for closure!

Is anybody else waiting on Canadian schools? They seem to be taking forever. I know I've already asked about McGill but it seems strange that there's only been one rejection and one acceptance spread out over a couple of weeks, and I'm not sure how to interpret this (rejection?). Also, I wish UofT would hurryyyy upp

Is anybody else waiting on Canadian schools? They seem to be taking forever. I know I've already asked about McGill but it seems strange that there's only been one rejection and one acceptance spread out over a couple of weeks, and I'm not sure how to interpret this (rejection?). Also, I wish UofT would hurryyyy upp

I'm also waiting on Toronto.  From what an adviser has told me about most Canadian schools, they typically don't get around to releasing decisions until late February or early March.  Hope you hear good news from Toronto.

Has anyone here posted one of the recent Northwestern rejections? Did you get an email or did you just randomly check the website? 

Mine still says 'an admissions decision not yet been rendered' (they really went full academic with their choice of words there!).

Edited by CGMJ

My Northwestern account still says the same message as well. Chances are it just takes them days to change the status of all accounts. Last year the spread was over six days.

BTW, is the gradstatus.northwestern.edu the place to go to? I ask this because someone posted something about knowing the decision from applyyourself and I wonder if these are the same thing. 

My Northwestern account still says the same message as well. Chances are it just takes them days to change the status of all accounts. Last year the spread was over six days.

BTW, is the gradstatus.northwestern.edu the place to go to? I ask this because someone posted something about knowing the decision from applyyourself and I wonder if these are the same thing. 

I've been using the gradstatus site. Just checked applyyourself and there's nothing there either. 

For what its worth (we could argue this endlessly and still never have an answer).. from what I did hear from a POI (at a top program), part of the admissions process is forming tentative committees for applicants, "if we cannot form a committee for an applicant, we are unlikely to admit them."  And he later tweeted about reviewing applications which suggests a) he was on the adcom or b ) the processes at that program is decentralized to the point where profs review specific applicants who share their interests in some final round.  When you see those 3.9s and great scores being rejected from places like Stanford on the results board, it isn't because Stanford had enough 4.0s and perfect 340s.

I am a person who had a professor say, in his loveably austere British accent, "Go to a top ten program, or don't go." I mostly took that advice when applying to programs. My thinking was, given the competitiveness of the academic job market, grad school really only makes sense if you go somewhere with a strong placement record. Top 10 was a reasonable stand-in for that (and I didn't apply to Rochester because I'm a baby).  Although my SOP was quite specific to my particular research plan, I customized no more than 3-4 sentences of it to each school and its professors, and contacted no one prior to admission. I've gotten into Chicago, Cornell and Columbia. (It also helped to come from an undergrad institution with a strong record of placing people in Ph.D programs). And FWIW I got waitlisted on funding at U Penn, which is the only school I applied to by virtue of fit rather than ranking.

Both good posts.

There is an obvious middle ground that I've tried to harp on during my time at this board because I think it is SO crucial for applicants to understand. The very first thing you need to do when beginning a search into graduate programs is to define your goal coming out. Then determine which schools have placement records sufficient to (probabilistically) meet that goal. Do not apply to programs that offer you a poor chance of reaching that goal. Do not scoff at programs that do offer you a good chance because they are not top 10.

Find good fit withing a variety of schools within that range and apply where the fit is best. Even if this doesn't maximize your chances (and it probably does) it will help assure that you land in a department that makes you happy. Rememeber that you don't always know precisely how you and a program will fit, so "fit reaches" are not always bad, especially if your goals have bounded you into very competitive programs. Setgree's results are obviously not typical; really well qualified candidates with mainstream research interests might have good luck tossing the top ten pasta at the fridge, but I think it's a bad strategy to assume that this is you.

The take-away here is that your admissions strategy should not simply be about admissions. It should take into account what the degree means to your career and how your career fits in with your overall happiness. (This becomes more true the older you get.)