Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Thank you very much for applying to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Yale University. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission.

And thus, the dream dies.

Edited by Lemeard

Thank you very much for applying to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Yale University. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission.

And thus, the dream dies.

Was there a url associated with your decision?

Was there a url associated with your decision?

In the email saying to check the website, there was a url (it was something like click "here"). But if you just log into the ApplyYourself thing, there should be a link at the bottom for the decision letter

In the email saying to check the website, there was a url (it was something like click "here"). But if you just log into the ApplyYourself thing, there should be a link at the bottom for the decision letter
What he said

Yea, i guess there is a set number of spots and a set number of offers out. If people do not reject by a certain time frame, if you are on the waitlist you lose.

as an FYI, that's generally not how it works.  the issue isn't admits who haven't told the school what they're doing, it's people who have.  schools want to use the waitlist to round out their class, so they'll either admit waitlisted students if a ton of X people (where X is subfield, gender, etc.) start turning them down, or realize that they're getting a good yield for group X, so may tell waitlisters that they won't be able to admit them.  to that end, there isn't always a hard and fast waitlist ranking order.

most of the waitlist movement happens much closer to April 15, after schools have their visits (many programs have begun pushing the visits to April) and people officially start turning down / accepting programs.  we don't expect anyone to make a decision about our program until they've visited us and probably all of the other schools to which they were admitted.

I've had similar thoughts! This should be like National Signing Day for college football. Sit at a table with the hats of you prospective schools, then select one as camera flashes are going off and people are cheering! One can dream.

I did this two years ago with my pals in a bar.  I told everyone I would make my decision in one week.  I was down to two schools, so I put them on the table and grabbed the correct hat when I announced my decision.  For those that couldn't be present that cared to know, I stole LeBron James' quote from "The Decision" to post to Facebook to serve as my public announcement:

"In this fall, this is very tough, in this fall I'm going to take my talents to [CITY] and join the [uNIVERSITY] [MASCOT]."

I got my MA in the government department at GU (not the conflict res program) so I'm very familiar with it. I had many friends that really enjoyed their time in the program and had solid job prospects afterwards. Others thought it was a bit touchy feely and not applicable to the real world, but I guess that's the case in any conflict res program. 

The faculty in the GU government department are absolutely fantastic on the whole and if you want to take classes in SFS you can. 

What kind of job prospects were there?  What kind of career paths did they go on?  What kind of employers? (think tanks, NGOs, international orgs, governments, who?)

Does anyone have any news from UCLA on their remaining decisions?

Yeah this is taking too long.  I'm assuming rejection but come on let me know.

Also wondering myself.

What kind of job prospects were there?  What kind of career paths did they go on?  What kind of employers? (think tanks, NGOs, international orgs, governments, who?)

Think tanks, government, consulting firms mostly. 

GU gives the government department access to the SFS career center and database, which is a huge help (how I found my current job)

I didn't go to this program in particular, but I do live and work in DC in a related field.  I can tell you that schools like Georgetown and GWU are excellent for placing master's graduates into good internships and positions in the government.  The connections that you get from these programs are excellent.

That doesn't really translate in terms of academic placement, but if one's desire is to work in the government, he/she probably isn't worried about a PhD anyway (except in some rare cases)

Okay, would it be rude/weird to ask a department if they one is not offered admission to their PhD program, if they are then considered for admission to an MA program? I know a lot of places normally do this and they specify it on the application, but the website does not mention it.

Also, is it okay to ask that if I haven't been actually been rejected yet? I'm feeling pessimistic. 

That's exactly what I did with Duke when I was not part of the first wave of admits, and I was just admitted to the MA program a couple of hours ago. I emailed the program director and one of the admin personnel and said something along the lines of "in the case that I am not admitted to the PhD program, would it be possible for my application to be considered for the MA program in political science?". I also included a line or two explaining why I only applied to the PhD program since that was, and still is, my ultimate goal etc. He emailed me back (program director) and said that the MA was unfunded and said that he would see about getting my application to the MA admission committee if I was still interested. I said I was, and he emailed me a few days later saying my application had been sent to the MA adcom.

At the time I made the request, I had been rejected by UCSD and Emory (after interviewing), and because most of the programs I applied to were generally ranked above Emory, I was worried I would not get into a top program. I got into UCLA a few days later, so my worries were a bit premature, but I don't think it hurts to develop back-up plans. I don't think it hurts at all. Hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck, and I really hope you get good news soon!

I didn't go to this program in particular, but I do live and work in DC in a related field.  I can tell you that schools like Georgetown and GWU are excellent for placing master's graduates into good internships and positions in the government.  The connections that you get from these programs are excellent.

That doesn't really translate in terms of academic placement, but if one's desire is to work in the government, he/she probably isn't worried about a PhD anyway (except in some rare cases)

Tell me (if you or anyone else has an idea)...what is GWU's reputation when it comes to placing PhDs around the country? Its something I've been struggling to determine. The school is great sure, but would search committees elsewhere in the country look at it and dismiss it because it is a "DC doctorate?"