Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Haha not wounded at all. The response was meant to verify the claims. I think you're right to point out that results trickled out at most of these schools, so it makes sense to wait before deciding that a given school must be done. That being said, it also seems to me that the board has been credible.

Thanks for the helpful post ehdrums. I hadn't done any looking into MAPSS because I was never really considering it before this morning, but it certainly isn't guaranteed to up my game. That being said, it seems like it would be a relatively low-pressure environment in which to take (for the most part) whatever courses I want for free and really be prepared to excel in a full-fledged PhD program without delaying more than one year.

And you're right, I am a big fan of alot of the BU faculty and Penn has had two TT placements there in recent years. In fact, Penn has had several really enviable placements (IMO) in recent years, however, all of these seem to be in IR/Security rather than comparative.

Former MAPSS student speaking here--

While I loved MAPSS, and it did a lot for me, I would caution you against picking it with the hopes of being admitted to a top-20 program when you already have some really great offers from places that sound like good fits (which is arguably more important than ranking). My situation was a little different in that I didn't get in anywhere my first time around, I had a less-than-ideal undergrad GPA, and I was coming from a different discipline. In that sense, it provided a year to both figure out what grad school was like, sharpen my research interests, get to know some people in the field, and improve my GPA. However, different people have wildly differing experiences in MAPSS--in many ways, I lucked out and found a faculty member willing to work with me and a strong community outside of mapss, but many of my friends really struggled. It's a big program (around 130-150 students) and is sort of the black sheep within the university, so I spent a significant amount of time proving myself. Also, it is NOT low-pressure. taking a full course load and writing an MA thesis in a year sounds doable, and it is, but it is also exhausting (and I went to a very high pressure college). That's not to say I didn't love MAPSS, but rather that I wouldn't have done it if I didn't need to strengthen my record or gain more background in the field. 

Hope that helps!

Former MAPSS student speaking here--

While I loved MAPSS, and it did a lot for me, I would caution you against picking it with the hopes of being admitted to a top-20 program when you already have some really great offers from places that sound like good fits (which is arguably more important than ranking). My situation was a little different in that I didn't get in anywhere my first time around, I had a less-than-ideal undergrad GPA, and I was coming from a different discipline. In that sense, it provided a year to both figure out what grad school was like, sharpen my research interests, get to know some people in the field, and improve my GPA. However, different people have wildly differing experiences in MAPSS--in many ways, I lucked out and found a faculty member willing to work with me and a strong community outside of mapss, but many of my friends really struggled. It's a big program (around 130-150 students) and is sort of the black sheep within the university, so I spent a significant amount of time proving myself. Also, it is NOT low-pressure. taking a full course load and writing an MA thesis in a year sounds doable, and it is, but it is also exhausting (and I went to a very high pressure college). That's not to say I didn't love MAPSS, but rather that I wouldn't have done it if I didn't need to strengthen my record or gain more background in the field. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much, this really does help and its great to hear from someone with first hand experience of the program. I feel like I have a better understanding of the decision I'm making (I hadn't looked into MAPSS at all prior to this morning). If I'm going to spend the next year proving myself, I want it to be in a department that I'll be sticking around for awhile.

GopherGrad, unless I totally misread your comment, can you please post a picture of yourself eating the hat?

If we don't have a couple regular posters claim admissions by the end of the week I will do just that.

I can't wait to see this pic! Will we see it tonight or do we have to wait until tomorrow?

I also contacted my Harvard POI (I wanted to thank him for the advice he gave me during this application cycle). His reply was quite cryptic. He said that I’m on the wait list (as far as I know this is only true for PEG) and that my other offers are very good.

It’s very nice that he replied given that he must be really busy. But it’s still not very clear to me whether they’re done or not. But I strongly believe that acceptances are out.

Edited by chaetzli

I can't wait to see this pic! Will we see it tonight or do we have to wait until tomorrow?

I also contacted my Harvard POI (I wanted to thank him for the advice he gave me during this application cycle). His reply was quite cryptic. He said that I’m on the wait list (as far as I know this is only true for PEG) and that my other offers are very good.

It’s very nice that he replied given that he must be really busy. But it’s still not very clear to me whether they’re done or not. But I strongly believe that acceptances are out.

Good luck with Harvard!  That said, you have some pretty enticing options otherwise, right?  Not a bad position to be in :P

It is a bit odd that nobody has reported a waitlist yet from Harvard.

Edit- It seems like you can also email Thom Wall to get your official status, chaetzli

I know a person who has been wait-listed by Harvard's Department of Government but who doesn't post on this forum. I could be mistaken about the timing, but I believe that in that case the wait-list notification was sent the day before admitted students were notified.

Edited by Longtime Lurker

If I can figure out a place to store the picture online I'll post it tonight.

It is a bit odd that nobody has reported a waitlist yet from Harvard.

I had heard somewhere that the most competetive programs don't really waitlist because they can predict their yield extremely well. I have no idea if this is true.

For whatever it's worth, I still find it odder that no regular poster has claimed an admit from Harvard. It's (one of?) the largest elite program(s) and we've had claims for every other program of comparable competitiveness (incuding PEG, which takes what, four students?).

If I can figure out a place to store the picture online I'll post it tonight.

I had heard somewhere that the most competetive programs don't really waitlist because they can predict their yield extremely well. I have no idea if this is true.

For whatever it's worth, I still find it odder that no regular poster has claimed an admit from Harvard. It's (one of?) the largest elite program(s) and we've had claims for every other program of comparable competitiveness (incuding PEG, which takes what, four students?).

it does seem as though there should be more Harvard acceptances on the board.... Have you tried emailing or calling the dept?  Thom W sent me my rejection right away when I inquired.  I'm sure he'll let you know where you stand, since it seems as though their decisions have been made regardless of whether they've been officially sent out or not.

My last open application is Harvard, and while I'm reasonably certain I'll be rejected (and I remain reasonably certain that we'll see more acceptances) there is a part of me that wants to bug the poor guy so I can be done.

yes - I understand not wanting to bug him.. at the same time, it is March 8th (i.e. high decision time), so it's not completely unreasonable to ask about your status.  If it was mid-Feb, then it would be a different story.  Plus it seems as though he's getting fewer inquiries now... his email must have been flooded earlier in the week (and I do feel bad about that), but things may have calmed down, so what's one more question?!  and best case - he may be able to give you GOOD news!!

and best case - he may be able to give you GOOD news!!

Alas. Rejected. Mr. Wall said that remaining notifications are going out momentarily.

Unless one of the jobs I'm interviewing for comes back with an offer that's really exciting, it appears that I'm San Diego bound.

Good luck to the rest of you in making decisions and cleaning up your lingering applications. I'm sure I'll meet many of you in the coming years, even if we never realize we already know one another.

Alas. Rejected. Mr. Wall said that remaining notifications are going out momentarily.

Unless one of the jobs I'm interviewing for comes back with an offer that's really exciting, it appears that I'm San Diego bound.

Good luck to the rest of you in making decisions and cleaning up your lingering applications. I'm sure I'll meet many of you in the coming years, even if we never realize we already know one another.

Sorry to hear that... but at least you have closure AND an awesome offer from UCSD!! Congratulations on a successful cycle!! :)

Also, no one has heard from Rutgers. AHHH! what gives!?

I applied there too, and haven't heard anything regarding a decision.  I did email them early this week, and they said decisions will be released by March 15.  Not sure if that's merely a "canned answer" or not...

I applied there too, and haven't heard anything regarding a decision.  I did email them early this week, and they said decisions will be released by March 15.  Not sure if that's merely a "canned answer" or not...

Wow, that is just so late. 

What's your field?

Good luck with Harvard!  That said, you have some pretty enticing options otherwise, right?  Not a bad position to be in :P

Yeah, I am absolutely happy about my offers! I'm very grateful that I got accepted by such amazing schools.

People keep telling me bad things about PEG, so I’m not sure whether I would accept it if I got off the wait list.

Yep, this is what they said to me when I emailed a few weeks ago. I guess we should hear in the next week at the very latest....

NYU is the last school I have to hear from. I emailed them, and their response was pretty much "you will find out when we let you know." Oh well.

Can't believe this is almost over and the board is winding down! good luck to everyone!

Edited by zzzzzz