Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

If you find out you're an alternate, will they tell you what spot you are on the list?

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think so. If I get alternate I think I'm just going to decline because I've strung along grad schools long enough as it is. Edited by nainalerom

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think so. If I get alternate I think I'm just going to decline because I've strung along grad schools long enough as it is.

I know what you mean. Part of my anxiety is being unsure about my future, but the other part of my anxiety is feeling pressured from other sources to find out as soon as possible (potential jobs, a professor who wants to know my future plans for a presentation, grad school plans, etc). C'mon Norway.

Just found out I was accepted as an ETA in Andorra!

I could actually use a bit of advice though.

Last year I was an alternate, and I was devastated. I spent this year teaching English in Galicia, Spain, and it has been the best year of my life - so great, that I'm now entirely unsure how to feel, as I renewed for a second year, and have been excitedly picturing continuing my life here next year.

I know the Fulbright experience would be unbelievably rewarding, and that I probably love a year in Andorra just as much, but would it be crazy to turn down the Fulbright in order to stay here another year? If I did the Fulbright, I could repeat the program I'm doing now afterwards, but I wouldn't be placed in the same school with all of my fantastic colleagues and friends, and my wonderful students. 

In many regards, what I'm doing now would be very similar to what I would do in Andorra; I am and would be teaching English in a secondary school in a beautiful, mountainous region with a multilingual population.

So, my problem is: I'm afraid of losing out on a great opportunity (or flat-out making a mistake) by not accepting the Fulbright, but it breaks my heart to think of leaving all the friends and contacts I've made here in Galicia. I've also already been accepted to grad school and deferred, so I don't need the Fulbright 

What should I do? What are the real benefits of the Fulbright? One year ago, I would have been over the moon with this news. 

Also, for anyone who is feeling sad about being rejected or being an alternate, being an alternate last year was the best thing that could have happened to me, or I would never have come to Galicia, and I wouldn't be faced with this decision. Also, reapplying DOES work! So, if you are upset, take heart. Things always work out well in the end.

Hey sarah888, I'm thrilled to hear from another Morocco applicant!  Back in March, the head of MACECE told me it would be the last week of April.  I'm hoping that's next week... 

I'm also waiting on Morocco ETA, thanks for the update!

I am a long time lurker, first time poster.

I just wanted to post here that I was moved from alternate for USTA Austria to accepted yesterday!

There's still hope for other anxious alternates out there =). 

Congrats to everyone accepted, and best of luck to those still waiting for responses.

I just wanted to post here that I was moved from alternate for USTA Austria to accepted yesterday!

Congrats to everyone accepted, and best of luck to those still waiting for responses.

Congrats! I love hearing stories of people moving from alternate to accepted!

Thanks for sharing :) Nice to hear. Congrats!!

Hey gregw-- have you heard anything? If you have, I hope it was good!

I have heard. I am also an alternate. It's pretty amazing, there were very few finalists, and so i imagine even fewer alternates. we may be the only two. good luck buddy.

For those interested, they do not tell you in the email what place you are on the list. or if there even is a list, but i assume so.

I am a long time lurker, first time poster.   I just wanted to post here that I was moved from alternate for USTA Austria to accepted yesterday!   There's still hope for other anxious alternates out there =).    Congrats to everyone accepted, and best of luck to those still waiting for responses.
Congrats, fish!

You have to make sure you have an international phone first, the cellular frequencies are different in Europe than they are here and not all of our phones are made to work with them, then in my experience I've just suspended my service here and gotten a pay as you go phone there...one where you just reload the minutes as you use them, they're everywhere there and super affordable!  Also, the one I got in Australia was great because every reload I got included a certain amount of time of international calling so I had to call home every time I reloaded my phone just to burn up those minutes. 

Also, you can set up a google voice account with your US cell # so even when your service is suspended, all that happens is it goes straight to voicemail, so if you link it to a google voice account, you get those voicemails emailed to you so you can still get messages people leave you back home! 

Hey, I have been looking into it. I am not familiar with Switzerland, but I know in Germany, You can buy prepaid sim cards from a lot of different places; I am probably going to go for Aldi's plan. you can by prepaid sim cards with calling, texting, and data.

You need to figure out what band Switzerland's cell phone systems run on. Actually, I think most of Europe runs on the same band, which is GSM 900 / GSM 1800 MHz . America runs on GSM 850 / GSM 1900 MHz. You can check the specs of your phone to see what bands it can run on. For example, I know the Iphone 5 from Verizon is one of the only ones that runs on GSM 850, 900, 1800, and 1900 , so it is one of the best to use while abroad, from what I have heard.  From what I can tell, ATT's Iphones only can use the typica 850 1900 band that America uses. Again, you would have to check the specs of your phone.

I am a bit stuck, though, because I currently have a verizon Iphone 4, which only uses 850/ 1900. If I upgraded to the Iphone 5, I would lock myself into another two years of a contract, while right now, my contract is up and is month to month. I am planning on canceling my plan when I leave. Otherwise, I would have to pay full price for a 5, which is in the neighborhood of $600. I could buy one used, which would help bring down the cost. Apple is very likely going to produce a 5s this summer or fall, which should make the prices of the 5 drop even more. FYI, Verizon's Iphone 5 is also UNLOCKED (open to all carriers), and it sounds like Verizon is going to leave it that way. I don't know whether other cell companie's smartphones are unlocked.

I have bought into the Apple paradigm, so I will probably stick with it. I have already spent too much money on apps to switch to Android. I suppose I could for a year though. I believe the Nexus 4 also opperates the 850, 900, 1800, 1900 bands though. Again, you would have to search the specks of your particular phone to be sure. You'd also want to make sure that your phone is unlocked (usable on on cell phone carriers). Don't forget that it is now illegal in the US to unlock your phone if it is not already unlocked. Sucks.

Ugh. All this is also assuming you are goign to want a smart phone. Optimally, I would want one, I think it would be super helpful as I intend on traveling quite a bit. If you don't need a smart phone, you would probably be fine buying a cheap track phone or something.  I don't think NOT having any kind of cell service is really an option for me, though. I'm still trying to decide whether I really need a smart phone. First world problems. .. I tend to be on the disorganized side though, so my smart phone really keeps me on track.

I just got an iPhone 5 so all I'd have to do is switch out the SIM. I think you can look up online whether your phone is "international" or not. Last year when I was in Sweden I just bought a super cheap phone and a pay as you go plan. I did most of my social planning, etc on Facebook anyway.

Great stuff! Thanks! I was thinking about buying a new iPhone 5, so thanks for the tips! I'll wait until that 5s might come out. The technical specs on the frequencies was especially useful!

I also have skype, so I was thinking that if I had skype on my phone like I do now, whenever there is wifi and I don't have my computer, I could call with a Skype phone, and this would save me from using up minutes of a prepaid plan. I definately won't have the luxury to pay for an unlimited plan anymore!  :( O well.  :ph34r:

I have heard. I am also an alternate. It's pretty amazing, there were very few finalists, and so i imagine even fewer alternates. we may be the only two. good luck buddy.

For those interested, they do not tell you in the email what place you are on the list. or if there even is a list, but i assume so.

Oh wow that is interesting. Glad to hear you at least made it to the alternate as well- I'll be sure to keep you informed if I hear anything, I'd be interested to hear from you too if you hear anything :) Good luck!

Here's a question: does anyone know if Fulbright grantees have access to online databases like you would through a university library or would you only have what's available through your home institution/ affiliated university? I'm scheduled to finish my MA this spring, but if I received a grant, I might be interested in paying a few hundred dollars to stay officially enrolled if it meant keeping my library resources.

Here's a question: does anyone know if Fulbright grantees have access to online databases like you would through a university library or would you only have what's available through your home institution/ affiliated university? I'm scheduled to finish my MA this spring, but if I received a grant, I might be interested in paying a few hundred dollars to stay officially enrolled if it meant keeping my library resources.

I'm doubtful, just considering how segmented the program is across the multiple countries, but that is a legitimate question that you could the U.S. Fulbright committee or the country to applied to.  I would ask if they offer subscriptions or discounts for online scholar databases as part of the program. You could also pose that question to a Fulbright alumni group via Facebook. Or, if you will be affiliated with a university as part of your research, look into what is offered by that university.

Not sure if this is relevant for all countries, but my school's Fulbright committee was informed that Norway will be notified no later than April 30th. I hope they are right, but I am still frantically checking my email every few minutes just in case we hear earlier.

That makes me think that tomorrow, Friday April 19th, won't be the day either.... Surely the phrasing "no later than" implies "not this week"? I am glad we'll know by the 30th, since that still gives me time to make appropriate summer plans, but I really needed to know by this weekend. Going to a conference to rub elbows with professors in potential Ph.D. programs, and it would have been nice to use "I am a Fulbright scholar" as my pickup line instead of "I am a Fulbright finalist." 

Last year I was an alternate, and I was devastated. I spent this year teaching English in Galicia, Spain, and it has been the best year of my life - so great, that I'm now entirely unsure how to feel, as I renewed for a second year, and have been excitedly picturing continuing my life here next year.

I know the Fulbright experience would be unbelievably rewarding, and that I probably love a year in Andorra just as much, but would it be crazy to turn down the Fulbright in order to stay here another year? If I did the Fulbright, I could repeat the program I'm doing now afterwards, but I wouldn't be placed in the same school with all of my fantastic colleagues and friends, and my wonderful students. 

In many regards, what I'm doing now would be very similar to what I would do in Andorra; I am and would be teaching English in a secondary school in a beautiful, mountainous region with a multilingual population.

So, my problem is: I'm afraid of losing out on a great opportunity (or flat-out making a mistake) by not accepting the Fulbright, but it breaks my heart to think of leaving all the friends and contacts I've made here in Galicia. I've also already been accepted to grad school and deferred, so I don't need the Fulbright 

What should I do? What are the real benefits of the Fulbright? One year ago, I would have been over the moon with this news. 

Also, for anyone who is feeling sad about being rejected or being an alternate, being an alternate last year was the best thing that could have happened to me, or I would never have come to Galicia, and I wouldn't be faced with this decision. Also, reapplying DOES work! So, if you are upset, take heart. Things always work out well in the end.

oooh...that's a doozie!  hm...first of all, Congrats!!  I also want to totally agree with your feelings about NOT getting something being the best thing that ever happened to you, I had a very similar experience my senior year of college and I just keep thinking man, I'm SO glad I didn't get it because who knows where I would be right now, but it certainly wouldn't be here and I don't want to be anywhere else! 

As for your little dilemma, I would say do what feels right to you.  Neither choice is a BAD choice, and if it were me, I would really WANT to stay somewhere familiar where I KNOW I am happy, but I would probably choose to take the Fulbright...you've had great experiences in Galicia and nothing will take those experiences away, but you will probably have great experiences in Andorra as well and all you risk really losing out on is experiencing another place, so I'd say take it, appreciate what Galicia has done for you, and look forward to new and different things!  But that's just me...I am totally and completely 100% nomadic by nature so if that's not you, then probably just forget I said anything :)

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

Edited by medizumbacist

You might also consider maintaining contact with someone who'll be at your current institution next year and sending them a weekly or biweekly list of sources that he or she can then email to you. That way, you have a constant stream of new material without the added cost. At least, this is what I was planning to do.

I know I'm a bit late with that, but I really want to congratulate all you guys on getting your ETA and research scholarship to Russia. I know that I'm a black sheep on this forum. (I'm Principal Candidate from Russia. My Program is non-degree research for scholars). I was hoping to get some info about my funding right after you. However, my advisor told me yesterday that guys in Washington gave no answer about scholars again and my wait continues. Thanks to all of you writing here. Even though the boat I'm in is still rocking, you've been a great support.

I had to reply to this as soon as I saw you were torn with the decision to leave Galicia--I used to teach there last year!  I also wasn't sure if I should stay there or leave (though to try another region of Spain) because I too fell in love with it.  After much agonizing, I decided to move to San Sebastian so I could experience another side of Spanish culture.  Though I don't regret my decision (I've had some incredible experiences here, met wonderful people, and have a much better school), I don't think I would have regretted staying in Galicia either.  I was just there for Semana Santa and was reminded of how magical it is.  Now that I am off to Russia on a Fulbright, I am a little daunted by the idea of starting over in a third place in three years (but obviously more excited than nervous!).  And I speak more Russian than Basque or Galician :)

Basically, I don't think either decision will be bad.  If you go to Andorra, you'll be with a better, more organized program.  You'll have a completely new cultural experience and you'll probably pick up some Catalan.  But if you stay in Galicia, you'll deepen your ties there and build on your experiences from this year.  I think it just comes down to if you want breadth or depth of experience.  Good luck with your decision and congrats on having two great options!

Edited by ForTheLoveOfVodka

do you guys think they contact the professor/individual who wrote you an affiliation letter? people who have been accepted, do you know either way?

vPersie really sorry to hear about your news, but stay strong, don't be discouraged, reapply, and all the best for the coming year.

Great stuff! Thanks! I was thinking about buying a new iPhone 5, so thanks for the tips! I'll wait until that 5s might come out. The technical specs on the frequencies was especially useful!

I also have skype, so I was thinking that if I had skype on my phone like I do now, whenever there is wifi and I don't have my computer, I could call with a Skype phone, and this would save me from using up minutes of a prepaid plan. I definately won't have the luxury to pay for an unlimited plan anymore!  :( O well.  :ph34r:

No problem! Glad I'm not the only one attached to my smart phone!!

Had to take a class called The American Musical: A Social and Political Document. This is from "A Chorus Line." Based on the lyrics, it's highly probable they were applying for the Fulbright and not a chorus position... Anybody else relate here? (start at 50 seconds: 

)

[ALL]
God, I hope I get it.
I hope I get it.
How many people does he need?

[bOYS]

[GIRLS]
God, I hope I get it.

[ALL]
I hope I get it.
How many boys, how many girls?

[GIRLS]
How many boys, how many...?

[ALL]
Look at all the people!
At all the people.
How many boys, how many girls?
How many people does he...?

[TRICIA]
I really need this job.
Please God, I need this job.
I've got to get this job.

[ALL]
God, I really blew it!
I really blew it!
How could I do a thing like that?

[bOYS]
How could I do a thing like...

[ALL]
Now I'll never make it!
I'll never make it!
He doesn't like the way I look.
He doesn't like the way I dance.
He doesn't like the way I...

[ALL]
GOD, I think I've got it.
I think I've got it.
I knew he liked me all the time.
Still it isn't over.

[MAGGIE]
What's coming next?

[ALL]
It isn't over.

[MIKE]
What happens now?

[ALL]
I can't imagine what he wants.

[GIRLS]
I can't imagine what he...

[ALL]
God, I hope I get it!
I hope I get it.
I've come this far, but even so
It could be yes, it could be no,
How many people does he...?

I really need this job.

[A FEW VOICES]
My unemployment is gone.

[ALL]
Please, God, I need this job.

[A FEW VOICES]
I knew I had it from the start.

[ALL]
I've got to get this show.

[PAUL]
Who am I anyway?
Am I my resume?
That is a picture of a person I don't know.

What does he want from me?
What should I try to be?
So many faces all around, and here we go.
I need this job, oh God, I need this show.