Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

LDR folks, what do you say your key to success is? Communication? How often? Are there days when you're just so plum exhausted all you can do is say, "I love ya, but I cannot hold a conversation. Sorry," and that's it?

Definitely communication, and normally at least once a day, if not more. Usually if more than once a day, one of the conversations is not very long, just checking in, really. And yes, there are definitely days where you just have to say, Sorry, but not today. Especially when you are in  school. That tends to happen more around finals or midterms!

I know it wasn't directed at me, but the words about LDR's have really comforted me. My partner is in Glasgow and I'm in NE Ohio, so things have been a little off since I returned last month from a visit, and I won't be there again until fall of 2014 for school, if I do indeed get admitted. The change in how we communicate at first was difficult, but seeing that it's normal has made me feel better.

Hoping for good news for everyone still waiting!

I don't think its uncommon for academics to have long-distance relationships.  It's just not always feasible to be in the same place while pursuing advanced degrees, research, internships, etc.  I have several friends who have gotten into different PhD programs as their partners.  Even after school, some friends were offered tenure-track positions at universities different from their partners.  It's hard to turn down tenure-track, especially in an economy like this.  But they have made it work and keep inching closer to each other by reentering the job search each year.  They make room for visits when they can.

I'm lucky because my fiance and I are both writers and have similar goals.  He's going to come to Switzerland with me (fingers crossed!) if I get the Fulbright.  But I will probably make a similar sacrifice for him down the road and follow him somewhere.  We are both adventurous though and can't wait to see where the wind takes us!

It's just important to keep in mind that everyone is different.  Different things work for different people.  You can't really follow the stereotypical pattern for the "perfect relationship" if it doesn't fit your situation nor should you try to!

Edited by nfnsprite

And just like that I realized that I am the only single person on this forum.

That just means you have less complications, in my opinion.

It's nice to hear about all these instances of understanding significant others. I am not in that same boat. It's nice to hear that there are people who understand that not all learning can take place in one country. Or that the conventional wisdom of if a man has to travel for work he is doing it for the family, but if a woman wants to, she is just being selfish. I am encouraged that there are forward thinking people out there that can see the long-term benefits outweigh the short-term cost. Not trying to bring the conversation down, I just thought I would be honest. :)

So, no news today? Really? I saw Iceland got notifications yesterday.

I'd be happy to pass around my proposal or personal statement via PM. Crystal, if you have a good idea of what makes  a good personal statement, I'll let you look mine over to see how well it conforms. Anything to help out future competition, er, I mean, applicants. ; )

EDIT: Just reread my personal statement. Damn, I write good! haha

I was thinking it would be nice to give people some hints to help their chances. I had the opportunity to talk to a former committee person. He said to me, no hard knock stories unless it really explained why you wanted to study abroad. So, that helped me really focus on what I wanted to say. My personal statement became a companion to my research idea. You guys who did get awards might be able to help some people that are struggling with the direction of the paper.

That just means you have less complications, in my opinion.

It's nice to hear about all these instances of understanding significant others. I am not in that same boat. It's nice to hear that there are people who understand that not all learning can take place in one country. Or that the conventional wisdom of if a man has to travel for work he is doing it for the family, but if a woman wants to, she is just being selfish. I am encouraged that there are forward thinking people out there that can see the long-term benefits outweigh the short-term cost. Not trying to bring the conversation down, I just thought I would be honest. :)

If it makes you feel any better, my SO is not thrilled I'm leaving. I think we can make it work, though.

Hahaha, nah, I'm single too. I asked about the LDR for the benefit of others who might be facing that reality. : )

Really? Come on, Scandinavia! You're toying with my heart! (I realize that Iceland is not part of Scandinavia, but Iceland was settled by Scandinavians, which is the association I am playing on.)

no worriessss norway is #1 for one-night stands!! hahaha

I had heard this too. I'll be interested to find out how true it is, though, not sure I want to necessarily participate...

That just means you have less complications, in my opinion.   It's nice to hear about all these instances of understanding significant others. I am not in that same boat. It's nice to hear that there are people who understand that not all learning can take place in one country. Or that the conventional wisdom of if a man has to travel for work he is doing it for the family, but if a woman wants to, she is just being selfish. I am encouraged that there are forward thinking people out there that can see the long-term benefits outweigh the short-term cost. Not trying to bring the conversation down, I just thought I would be honest. :)   So, no news today? Really? I saw Iceland got notifications yesterday.
Yeah actually I'm really thankful to be single at this point in my life. Regardless of the fulbright outcome, ill be moving out of state next year so it just makes my life easier ( though perhaps less fulfilling). Also congrats to everyone who heard good news today! And to those that didn't, here's to moving on and being resilient :)

Haha, I am, too.  Which, at this point, with all the traveling I want to do, it is probably not a bad thing. 

Norway has to be next then!!!
I always been fairly cautious with predictions, but now I truly feel that we will find out within the next couple days. Weird feeling.

LATVIA JUST LET ME KNOWWWWW!

It looks like none of the former Soviet bloc countries have notified applicants yet except Russia itself.  I wonder which of these countries will be the first to get the ball rolling? None of them are exactly known for their efficiency. ;) Well, just think of it this way, every day that goes by that we don't hear increases the likelihood that we will hear.