Applications for Fall 2013!

Hi everyone! 

I'm coming in kind of late to this party, but I've been lurking around this thread for a while. I hope all of your apps are going well, and congratulations to everyone who already got their acceptances!

I'm applying to (in order of preference): Cal State Fullerton, San Diego State, UCLA, Cal State Dominguez Hills, and Fresno State. 

I won't be able to apply until very close to the deadlines for my top three, thanks to a letter of rec crisis and a lot of slacking over winter break on my part, so rolling admissions are really starting to scare me.  :unsure:

I'm done with pretty much all my apps except for the statements of purpose/personal statements (I know, the main part, right?). I had a quick question to anybody applying to Cal States: do we have to write the personal statement for CSU Mentor and the individual schools, or just the ones for each school's social work department? 

Thanks a bunch for reading, and I hope everyone gets into their school of choice!  :)

Hello hello!

I've been watching this page for a while, so I figured I'd post my application info!

Schools I'm applying to - Columbia, Boston University, NYU, Sarah Lawrence College, Fordham, and UPenn. My application to Columbia is submitted, but I'm still finalizing my other apps.

Good luck to everyone!!!!

Hi all! I figured I would join the forum.

I applied to 

University of Michigan

Columbia

NYU

University of Chicago

Washington University in St. Louis

I received a call and have been accepted to the University of Michigan. If planning on continuing my education, do you all recommend that I go with the highest ranked program?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I applied to

University of Georgia

University of Alabama

Tulane University

University of South Carolina

West Virigina University

I haven't completely finished some of the applications yet. I'm so behind. They are way more time consuming than I thought they would be!!

I literally just sent out all of my applications last week.  I applied to CSUN (both on campus and off campus programs), USC, CSULB, and CSUF... I am soooo nervous!  I thought I had a lot of experience and strong letters of rec.. but after reading other peoples specs, I'm seriously doubting myself.  Since I applied to 5 programs.. I gotta get into one.. right... RIGHT?!?!  I'm freaking out.  How is everyone else dealing with their waiting process? 

@michelle_ct

If I could offer you any advice, I would caution you to not doubt yourself. I know its easier said than done. I applied to seven programs and have received five acceptances. I too wondered if I was a good enough candidate after seeing other peoples specs on here. You will drive yourself crazy if you obsess over it ( I know that I did). I know you wont relax until you get your acceptances, but please, be optimistic and confident. Your hard work wasn't for not, and you will get very sweet validation when you get that first acceptance letter/phone call/ email. I wish you and everybody else the absolute best. 

On 1/8/2013 at 5:30 PM, Lexishea said:

Hi all! I figured I would join the forum.

I applied to 

University of Michigan

Columbia

NYU

University of Chicago

I received a call and have been accepted to the University of Michigan. If planning on continuing my education, do you all recommend that I go with the highest ranked program?

Thanks!

Congrats on Michigan! Is it your top choice? I have also been accepted and am heavily leaning towards going.

I literally just sent out all of my applications last week.  I applied to CSUN (both on campus and off campus programs), USC, CSULB, and CSUF... I am soooo nervous!  I thought I had a lot of experience and strong letters of rec.. but after reading other peoples specs, I'm seriously doubting myself.  Since I applied to 5 programs.. I gotta get into one.. right... RIGHT?!?!  I'm freaking out.  How is everyone else dealing with their waiting process? 

Same here...I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing!  :wacko: 

Hi fellow MSW hopefuls.  I am putting the finishing touches on my professional statement for my application and decided to come to the forums and read up on some last-minute tips before I finish my edits.  Still have to do my resume, but all my rec letters are in.

We relocated last year when my husband took a position at Univ. of Tennessee (Knoxville), so that's the only school I'm applying to.  Our deadline is Feb. 1, but I should have mine in by the end of this week.  I'm hoping my stats (decent GPA and fairly high GRE scores) will get me considered for a GA, but I'm not sure how to make it known that I'm interested in that.  Is that something that comes up in a financial aid form later on, or should I somehow incorporate it into my essay? 

Seems like most of you all are on the east or west coasts, since I'm seeing lots of Cali and New England schools mentioned.  Best wishes to everyone!

I applied to NYU, Fordham, Hunter, and Columbia. All my my applications were complete as of Dec 7th...now the waiting begins. Its been a few weeks and I feel like its been forever. 

Anyone else heard from their schools? I have found a lot of forgiveness programs, but what about scholarships?

Good luck everyone! :) 

Hi Reyna!

I'm not sure what everyone else did... but I was also interested in GA/RA and touched on my interests in research in my essays although I did not blatantly state my interest in an assistantship. From the admissions reps that I've spoken to, most of the time those decisions are merit based and I'm not sure how much it would matter if you've mentioned interest... at least at the schools I'm looking at, they seem to go to the top candidates.

Good luck!

Hi all! I'm new to this forum- just finished up all of my applications and now I'm trying (and failing!) to relax until acceptance decisions are made. I'm applying to MSW/MPH programs at:

UCLA

Berkeley

Boston University

Is anyone else out there a MSW/MPH hopeful?

Hi Reyna!

I'm not sure what everyone else did... but I was also interested in GA/RA and touched on my interests in research in my essays although I did not blatantly state my interest in an assistantship. From the admissions reps that I've spoken to, most of the time those decisions are merit based and I'm not sure how much it would matter if you've mentioned interest... at least at the schools I'm looking at, they seem to go to the top candidates.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion, Inspired V!  I think I will do the same thing you did.  I do think they are largely merit-based, and I think my grades and scores are high enough to get me in the running (I hope, anyway).  But I wanted to do something to let them know I'm interested in case that might set me apart somehow or make them remember me when they're deciding. 

Hi!

First time on this site but very glad to find it after stumbling around in the dark trying to learn about various grad schools.

I am in the process of applying to:

CSULB

Boston College

Simmons College

Boston University

Smith College

Saint Louis University

Catholic University of America

Case Western Reserve University

I'm considering paring it down as I see mostly people applying to less than this. I am going for a Mental Health concentration, hoping to become an LCSW afterwards. I have a 3.813 GPA and some decent recommendations. I have also worked in the field for approx 1 1/2 years. However, my major was Theater. I have a lot of teaching training as well as my social work and volunteered in India for 4 months.

My questions:

1. Should I pare down my schools?
2. Does anyone know anything about Saint Louis University or Catholic University of America?

3. Did you visit all your schools you applied to or only some?

4. Should I be worried that I am still scrambling to finish apps?

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from someone soon!

This is my first day in the forum. I applied to NYU, Fordham, and Columbia. So far I've been accepted into NYU. I'm still waiting to hear from Fordham and Columbia. Has anyone heard from Fordham yet? My applications were submitted in the last week of November.

Hey everyone, I figured I would join this forum because I have been compulsively checking the status of my applications, and I figured it'd be nice to be surrounded by others who understand the agony!

So, I applied to:

NYU: 1/4 (but my application status is incomplete because they don't have my transcripts from one of the two undergrad colleges I attended)

University of Buffalo: Applied 1/7, accepted 1/14

University at Albany: Applied 12/27, marked complete 1/7

Has anyone heard back from Albany? My mailing address is my parent's house, but I live on my own, so I haven't been out there to check the mail lately. 

Hi Everyone!

I just finished my applications this week and am completely freaking out waiting to hear back from schools. 

So far, I have applied to UCBerkeley, UofWashington, UCLA, and SDSU. I am considering also applying to ASU since their deadline is later and am worried that I did not apply to enough schools. 

Has anyone heard anything about the MSW program at ASU? It is ranked in the top 50 of USNews (I believe), but those can always be a bit off. 

What does everyone think about how many schools to apply too and etc?

Good luck everyone!