MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Oh I hope so! I'm at a residency right now and have no cell service. I can't call the admissions office until next week!

I'll send an email once things settle here but I'm guessing I won't get an immediate response.

Jaybird let me know if you get anymore info on this confusion.

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed capers! I have my toes crossed!

I just talked to David Bohl with Hunter's art department and he said that basically there was just some miss-communication between them and the Admissions Office. We're still waitlisted, which I assumed, however we don't have to pay any sort of deposit. They sent them a list of all the accepted and waitlisted students so that admissions would know we've been approved so that in the case we're bumped up off the list there's not any confusion with registration later one. He said he would be in contact within the next couple of weeks to let the waitlisted applicants know where they stand, etc.

I just talked to David Bohl with Hunter's art department and he said that basically there was just some miss-communication between them and the Admissions Office. We're still waitlisted, which I assumed, however we don't have to pay any sort of deposit. They sent them a list of all the accepted and waitlisted students so that admissions would know we've been approved so that in the case we're bumped up off the list there's not any confusion with registration later one. He said he would be in contact within the next couple of weeks to let the waitlisted applicants know where they stand, etc.

Boooo. :angry:

Hi all,
looks like I found this great forum just in time: after Goldsmith and SAIC were eliminated, I am now in the final dilemma: Yale or Columbia?

Who do you think is the best? especially in terms of helping you to establish a strong network in the art world and long-term connections that will enable you to participate in exhibitions, work with galleries, etc. 
?

I finally committed to a grad school and now all those anticipation, nervousness, and freak out feelings have subsided, which is a nice change of pace compared to the last few months.  Although, those stresses are now replaced with the stress of finding an apartment in a new state among other moving and expense related concerns.

As of last week I turned down RISD's offer, and I am headed to MICA this Fall.  I'm pretty interested to see what the make up of my cohort will be.

woooooooo!!!!! 

If you email me, I may be able to hook you up with some folks who are leaving their apartments/email introduce you to some folks that can help ya out! PM me and i'll give you my email.

Oh, have so much fun in Baltimore!! It's such a good city. First order of buisness here should be to get yourself a Brewer's art beer and cheeseburger to celebrate!!!  :D

Coool congrats!

Were you for the 2 year GD programme at RISD or 3 year?

I was waitlisted for the 2 year programme so I'm hoping I miiiiiiight get some good news sooon!

Fingers crossed.

2-year, so hopefully you won't have to keep those fingers crossed much longer.

woooooooo!!!!! 

If you email me, I may be able to hook you up with some folks who are leaving their apartments/email introduce you to some folks that can help ya out! PM me and i'll give you my email.

Oh, have so much fun in Baltimore!! It's such a good city. First order of buisness here should be to get yourself a Brewer's art beer and cheeseburger to celebrate!!!  :D

Check that inbox.

Hi all,

looks like I found this great forum just in time: after Goldsmith and SAIC were eliminated, I am now in the final dilemma: Yale or Columbia?

Who do you think is the best? especially in terms of helping you to establish a strong network in the art world and long-term connections that will enable you to participate in exhibitions, work with galleries, etc. 

?

Columbia.  Both great schools, but in my humble opinion the columbia faculty is currently a lot stronger and their energy is still on the up. Yale would normally seem to be the place to go for philosophical growth and resources, but I know a few artists who have recently graduated from there and weren't unduly blown away.  I had a friend interview there this year and she said it was nothing like older yale grads said it would be like.  no real probing or critiquing of the work, and as someone who welcomes a strong reaction and critique, it did seem to her like they've lost some of their legendary spark.  You can move to bushwick and have great people to learn from and grow as an artist simply among your peers, but a good school will a) provide truly inspirational faculty that will push you hard, and B) help you get on your feet.  On both those counts columbia would take the cake for me.  Nice work on those acceptances, you have a good choice to make.  

Columbia.  Both great schools, but in my humble opinion the columbia faculty is currently a lot stronger and their energy is still on the up. Yale would normally seem to be the place to go for philosophical growth and resources, but I know a few artists who have recently graduated from there and weren't unduly blown away.  I had a friend interview there this year and she said it was nothing like older yale grads said it would be like.  no real probing or critiquing of the work, and as someone who welcomes a strong reaction and critique, it did seem to her like they've lost some of their legendary spark.  You can move to bushwick and have great people to learn from and grow as an artist simply among your peers, but a good school will a) provide truly inspirational faculty that will push you hard, and B) help you get on your feet.  On both those counts columbia would take the cake for me.  Nice work on those acceptances, you have a good choice to make.  

thanks Decaf!! that's so helpful! anyone else?

haha..wow, that's the second new account made in a day just to tout Columbia over Yale, you guys must really love Columbia for you to make new forum accounts just to do so...interesting...

@rachelgold: Kidding aside, I actually go to Yale so my input is biased.  If I were you, I would just go with which ever gives you the best funding.  So, probably Yale, haha.

Edited by jackthecrow

I finally committed to a grad school and now all those anticipation, nervousness, and freak out feelings have subsided, which is a nice change of pace compared to the last few months.  Although, those stresses are now replaced with the stress of finding an apartment in a new state among other moving and expense related concerns.

As of last week I turned down RISD's offer, and I am headed to MICA this Fall.  I'm pretty interested to see what the make up of my cohort will be.

Congrats! I just committed too and as I am commuting about an hour every day and quitting my sweet full time job, Im freaking out about money. My boyfriend is in school too so its going to be real hard on us. 

haha..wow, that's the second new account made in a day just to tout Columbia over Yale, you guys must really love Columbia for you to make new forum accounts just to do so...interesting...

@rachelgold: Kidding aside, I actually go to Yale so my input is biased.  If I were you, I would just go with which ever gives you the best funding.  So, probably Yale, haha.

@jackcrow  -  Not sure what you're gettin' at - I didn't make an account to promote Columbia, just saw that post and had some thoughts. Signed on to here to see where people are going and to see who might be in my class- interesting forum.  Yale is undoubtedly great too.  I really don't care either way, going to RISD, and I'm sure that being there you know more about yale.  Rachelgold I'm sure you'll kick ass either place you go.  Finances are important, but really who cares if you're 40 grand in debt or 60 grand in debt, if the school can give you a better leg up and connect you to more people I think it'll pay off.

for real. also, who, having already interviewed at/been to both places, would ask that question....

regardless, jtc is right. unless you have loads of money, Columbia will probably put you in extensive debt. regardless of finances, if youre a painter, I'd say Yale.

Edited by honeycleaner

for real. also, who, having already interviewed at/been to both places, would ask that question....

regardless, jtc is right. unless you have loads of money, Columbia will probably put you in extensive debt. regardless of finances, if youre a painter, I'd say Yale.

From what I understand Yale bases your tuition on what your parents make, so depending on where you're coming from you could rack up an equally sizeable debt from yale.  @rachelgold you might just want to talk to a current painter at columbia as well as to jackthecrow or someone else at yale, they'll obviously both be biased but at least then you'll get a better sense.  For any of us not going to those places it's pretty hard to judge, other than the word on the street, and our impressions of the faculty and their work.  It's not that easy to tell anything from an interview, my advice comes from knowing quite a few Yale grads, and so, far from hating on yale, i'm just giving you a sense of what people here in NY are saying.  Ultimately it's gonna come down to what you make of your program and city.  Especially in NYC it's all about your own hustle, and the resources and people to connect with are endless.  Bummed that I'm leaving the city myself.  

MICA vs. Tyler

thoughts?

MICA is definitely more expensive in my case (about double- 35K for tyler vs around 70K for MICA)

also who are the painters out there going to these spots in the fall?  thanks

Just got done talking with Hunter and they said my application is still in progress. Have yet to receive any notification of any kind. Hmmm... April 12th is coming up and they're taking their sweet time. 

Edited by chefgummydee

MICA vs. Tyler

thoughts?

MICA is definitely more expensive in my case (about double- 35K for tyler vs around 70K for MICA)

also who are the painters out there going to these spots in the fall?  thanks

I've talked to recent Tyler graduates who had nothing but good things to say about it. Tyler did come across as being real loose, especially in regards to the rigors, or lack thereof, of accomplishing your thesis. Although that's a purely subjective view when taking into account the drive and work ethic of the student. MICA does have Joan Waltemath as the creative director of their school of painting, and after some poking around she seems like the perfect fit for anyone who wants to improve as a painter. Obviously you can't go wrong with either so as with most decisions like this, your gut will probably push you over the edge into your final decision. 

Am I mistaken or are those financial figures the tuition per year? 

for all of you deciding between two choices

whether two schools or

going to grad school this fall vs. try again next round

just flip a coin

if you have a tiny attempt to flip the coin again

you already got your answer

I've talked to recent Tyler graduates who had nothing but good things to say about it. Tyler did come across as being real loose, especially in regards to the rigors, or lack thereof, of accomplishing your thesis. Although that's a purely subjective view when taking into account the drive and work ethic of the student. MICA does have Joan Waltemath as the creative director of their school of painting, and after some poking around she seems like the perfect fit for anyone who wants to improve as a painter. Obviously you can't go wrong with either so as with most decisions like this, your gut will probably push you over the edge into your final decision. 

Am I mistaken or are those financial figures the tuition per year? 

no those are the figures for both years combined.  70k a year would be beyond ludicrous.  

MICA OR TYLER

I did my undergrad at tyler and visited mica while applying, however decided not to apply to mica based on cost, studio sizes, and because you only have one primary professor in the painting program. If you have specific questions rearding tyler i may be able to help, the studios are awesome and there are some really great faculty, feel free to message me

Is it me or is there a gowing energy at MICA and Baltimore? It seems every forum I'm in people are taking about it or Baltimore's growing art scene. I know people who have gone and they very much liked it and I hardly see MICA alumni teaching at mediocre schools. On the other hand -half of my old schools faculty was from TYLER and I WAS NOT impressed by them-Considering we are talking about UTEP,here, as far off from the northeast art scene as you can get. Honestly, isn't where you winding up teaching -a major consideration when deciding on an MFA program, or should it be? I think most people look to teach while they try/or succeed at becoming a working artist. Then deciding which to ultimetly focus on! right?

So I emailed RISD on the 5th asking if they have any news for the wait-listed, and they replied saying not yet; they'll know after the 8th. It's the 10th now and still no word from them.. Would it be too annoying if I email them again? I mean they did say they'll let me know as soon as possible so maybe they don't want me to keep emailing.. But on the other hand I don't want them to think I'm not interested..

Help?