'Minorities' in 'Majority' Departments

BrokenRecord

The original post made reference to being "the different one" in a department, however that may be manifest. This is a bit of a tangent, but I really like this video because it tries to talk about this phenomena in the most general of terms, referring to what it's like to be an O in a environment of Xs. The video is old, and the music is painful, but I think it at least addresses issues without making anyone out to be an enemy. Worth a watch, in my opinion:

I don't think it has any remedies, but sometimes just putting a name to things makes me feel better -- it's confirmation I'm not imagining things.

Oh, and in addition to the low production value, it cuts out on the last minute. If anyone has a better recording of this, I'd love to have the link.

Edited by SeriousSillyPutty

Thanks for the video SeriousSillyPutty! I watched the whole thing... so in the video "O" stands for only, other, odd, overwhelm, overachieve. It did a great job of summarizing the primary issue that the OP asked about, which is how her race and gender may affect her experience in a white and male academic culture. She already has experience being the "O" and I doubt it will be much different, even in a graduate program where you may anticipate people being more open-minded.

I also agree that there is no easy remedy.

Edited by wildviolet

It's about shedding labels altogether.

No, we shouldn't shed labels.

This is the same as being "color blind," which is an ideology that promotes the disregard of race. Can you tell me that a black girl growing up in this country will see herself the same way as a white girl? You should look up studies they've done where they give a black girl, about age 6 or so, two dolls: one white and one black. And they ask her to point to the "good" one. Which one do you think she chose? Then, they asked her to point to the one that looked like her. And it is very sad to see the look on her face when she points to the black doll.

One of my best friends is black, and she has a little 5-year-old girl. They live in a predominately white, middle-class neighborhood because her mom is a business manager and her dad is an engineer. One day, she asks her mom why she's the only black girl in the neighborhood. Kids notice things like this very early on. Do you think this has no effect on how she views herself? And what about others and how they view her?

Being color blind may not be as bad as being an outright racist, but it's basically taking the approach of "looking the other way" or "saying/doing nothing."

I used to consider myself "color blind" before I had some training about cultural proficiency (or culturally relevant teaching) and realized that by being "color blind" I was really not recognizing a part of people that was very important in their upbringing. I'm not saying race is the only factor. Of course, there are many others such as gender and socioeconomic status (which is why the social sciences are so complex).

CageFree--I'm not arguing with you. I'm trying to share my views on the topic (based on my own experiences and education), and I'm responding to statements that you've made.

I think we may have differing views of what a "label" is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your view has negative connotations, including the stereotypes traditionally associated with those labels (that have become widespread in our culture, keeping in mind that stereotypes have become stereotypes for a reason). Having a name for something is not the same thing as "name-calling."

For example, if you saw me walking down the street, the first thing you'd think is: "young Asian woman." What else are you supposed to call me?

By labeling me as such, you are acknowledging my cultural heritage, including how society views me, how I view myself, how institutions such as universities view me, etc. (and to clarify I am not saying that every society or every person views it the same way). The question is not whether it is right or wrong--it is what it is. The key is acknowledging that labels do exist and to find ways, large or small, for people to overcome these initial impressions, to truly connect with each other, to feel less alone in this world. We are all complex human beings and in no way does one label define who we are for all time. But, I think we have to at least recognize that race and gender do play a role in our everyday human interactions and perspectives.

Another way to put it, being in the social sciences, is that there is no such thing as "objective." Everything is subjective, so the key is to recognize that subjectivity and examine how it influences your perspectives. This is a huge idea in qualitative research, which I was introduced to only a few years ago, and I think it's a valid worldview.

So, to summarize, saying that one is "color blind" or "shedding labels" or "objective" pretty much means you've given no value to how our most basic of identities, our genetic/racial/gender heritage, has shaped our minds, personalities, and perspectives. Peace.

I know I am joining this discussion late, but I wanted to say something.

CageFree, so far your comments on this thread have promoted colorblindness, the shedding of labels so that people are treated by merit only. This is a dangerous view to impose on others because racism (and other forms of isms like class, gender, etc.) will always exist in this country. If you have taken an American history course, race and racism have been a dominant theme since the founding of this nation. Here are few points below:

• In the early 1800s, blacks were once considered 3/5th of a human. Provisions allowed southern states to count slaves as 3/5 persons for purposes of apportionment in Congress (even though the slaves could not, of course, vote), expressly denied to Congress the power to prohibit importation of new slaves until 1808, and prevented free states from enacting laws protecting fugitive slaves.
  • It took the Civil War Amendments (13th, 14th, and 15th) to ban slavery, grant citizenship to blacks, AND pass antidiscrimination laws (equal protection and due process clauses).
  • For another 100 years after the Civil War, municipalities passed racial laws to forbid blacks (and other nonwhites where applicable) from living in specific neighborhoods and working in certain occupations.This effect created housing, occupational and school segregation that still hurts blacks economically to this day. For instance, when Social Security was formed, blacks were initially excluded from eligibility. It took Brown v. Board of Education (1954) and successive court rulings to end legal racial discrimination.
  • In the 1960s and beyond, the federal government had to pass federal civil rights and voting rights laws that forbid voter disenfranchisement among blacks and made hate crimes a federal violation. (How ironic that even in the 21st century the Republicans today are pushing voting laws that would disenfranchise minorities and the poor from voting for Obama???)
  • Blacks and other nonwhites today make up a disproportionate percentage of the prison population (especially nonviolent crimes), providing a source of cheap labor for for-profit entities. Since the late 1970s, there has been a nationwide agenda to impoverish minority communities through redlining, war on drugs, the defunding of educational and social service programs, and the attack on affirmative action.
  • Some of the poorest public school districts in this country educate black and brown youth. These schools are under-resourced, have unsafe conditions, and are brainwashing kids for low-paying, menial occupations. As you can see, the plantation system keeps evolving to keep blacks (and other nonwhites) at the bottom of the economic and political ladder.

As a black female, I refuse to believe that colorblindness is the answer once you understand the history of this nation. I learned about my identity and cultural heritage as a means of survival and empowerment. In my youth, I can remember struggling with being the only black person in a classroom and my privileged peers were unaware of social inequality because they had the privilege to not think about it. Therefore, CageFree, it is naive to think that everyone should treat each other in a colorblind perspective for two reasons: it denies that racism exists and assumes the voices of the marginalized are not important.

President Obama has received more racial slurs than any sitting president because he doesn't look white nor does he have a English-sounding name. As long as you have ignorant fools that continue to downplay his accomplishments, race and racism will still continue to be prevalent in American society.

I think at the end of the day we will always stand out in some realms. I am a black single

Mom getting a pPhD in pharmacology focusing on Aids research. I know how it feels

I am always the only one in my situation in the room and to be honest that's what it is. I cannot sit and harp about how hard it is to be alone. I try to use my experiendces to help people and be a leader and stand strong. You have talents and gifts so use them and do let small things distract from the true goal.

ETA- I know how if feels to be considered lowest of the low and have to really work at it. Another poster was spot on to say society view black women pretty poorly. But I have to live for what I want out of my life. I can't wait around for other black women to take control of how society views them. I have to be for me and my life. Even if other people still view me as low as a single mom I know in my heart and in the things I'm doing, I'm better than 90% of the population.

Edited by prettyuff1

Yeah I'm not about that colorblind life either. I don't think it actually solves anything except making people feel indignant when you point out a racist belief they're exhibiting. I also don't want anyone ignoring my culture. I'm proud of all aspects of my identity and that includes my race. I would much rather embrace and celebrate our cultural differences instead of ignoring them. One of my favorite parts of undergrad was getting to participate not only in the Black student group, but also the Latino group and the Asian group. I learned so much from their meetings, events, etc. and I made so many amazing friends from various backgrounds. And personally, I feel like my life is enriched by these differences.

So I had my first real day of grad school today, and I'm proud to say that my university is very diverse. We have black women on our faculty, working as post-docs, and studying as grad students. We have international students and people from all over the country. Maybe it's my field. Or maybe it's a conscious effort on the part of the university to recruit and retain a diverse population. At the end of the day, it gives me hope. Small steps. :)

Great thread. "Imposter syndrome" is certainly a universal feeling all graduate students can relate to, but that much worse when you're a grad student labouring under stereotypes of gender and racial incompetence.

I am a woman in a male dominated field (business). I was admitted into a program that is approximately 70% male. When I was doing my MBA I did a research project for an international business class about women entrepreneurs in Africa and the Middle East. In a large percentage of African countries women are still unable to own land. There are women with great ideas and have businesses but cannot have a location unless a male relative or their husband purchases land and oversees what they are doing. Women in the Middle East in Islamic countries generally are not allowed to work unless they have permission from their husband. So even though the production of women contributes to the overall production of the country and makes the economy more successful a lot of cultures discourage this kind of behavior. Doing this research really made me want to take full advantage of the opportunities I do have and I feel very priveleged. I think it is important not to feel extra pressure because of your sex, race, religion, or what not but to feel empowered by what you are able to accomplish.

I know I am joining this discussion late, but I wanted to say something.

CageFree, so far your comments on this thread have promoted colorblindness, the shedding of labels so that people are treated by merit only. This is a dangerous view to impose on others because racism (and other forms of isms like class, gender, etc.) will always exist in this country. If you have taken an American history course, race and racism have been a dominant theme since the founding of this nation. Here are few points below:

• In the early 1800s, blacks were once considered 3/5th of a human. Provisions allowed southern states to count slaves as 3/5 persons for purposes of apportionment in Congress (even though the slaves could not, of course, vote), expressly denied to Congress the power to prohibit importation of new slaves until 1808, and prevented free states from enacting laws protecting fugitive slaves.
  • It took the Civil War Amendments (13th, 14th, and 15th) to ban slavery, grant citizenship to blacks, AND pass antidiscrimination laws (equal protection and due process clauses).
  • For another 100 years after the Civil War, municipalities passed racial laws to forbid blacks (and other nonwhites where applicable) from living in specific neighborhoods and working in certain occupations.This effect created housing, occupational and school segregation that still hurts blacks economically to this day. For instance, when Social Security was formed, blacks were initially excluded from eligibility. It took Brown v. Board of Education (1954) and successive court rulings to end legal racial discrimination.
  • In the 1960s and beyond, the federal government had to pass federal civil rights and voting rights laws that forbid voter disenfranchisement among blacks and made hate crimes a federal violation. (How ironic that even in the 21st century the Republicans today are pushing voting laws that would disenfranchise minorities and the poor from voting for Obama???)
  • Blacks and other nonwhites today make up a disproportionate percentage of the prison population (especially nonviolent crimes), providing a source of cheap labor for for-profit entities. Since the late 1970s, there has been a nationwide agenda to impoverish minority communities through redlining, war on drugs, the defunding of educational and social service programs, and the attack on affirmative action.
  • Some of the poorest public school districts in this country educate black and brown youth. These schools are under-resourced, have unsafe conditions, and are brainwashing kids for low-paying, menial occupations. As you can see, the plantation system keeps evolving to keep blacks (and other nonwhites) at the bottom of the economic and political ladder.

As a black female, I refuse to believe that colorblindness is the answer once you understand the history of this nation. I learned about my identity and cultural heritage as a means of survival and empowerment. In my youth, I can remember struggling with being the only black person in a classroom and my privileged peers were unaware of social inequality because they had the privilege to not think about it. Therefore, CageFree, it is naive to think that everyone should treat each other in a colorblind perspective for two reasons: it denies that racism exists and assumes the voices of the marginalized are not important.

President Obama has received more racial slurs than any sitting president because he doesn't look white nor does he have a English-sounding name. As long as you have ignorant fools that continue to downplay his accomplishments, race and racism will still continue to be prevalent in American society.

I heartily agree with all of this, especially because it's what I was saying earlier in the thread.

Judging by all the up votes for michigan girl and down votes for me, I'm guessing that means I just said it to the wrong people... people who you're not supposed to disagree with? Good to know there's cliques on this forum too.

I heartily agree with all of this, especially because it's what I was saying earlier in the thread.

Judging by all the up votes for michigan girl and down votes for me, I'm guessing that means I just said it to the wrong people... people who you're not supposed to disagree with? Good to know there's cliques on this forum too.

Not to get in the middle of anything and without re-reading all the posts, is it possible that it's not what you said but the tone you used or the choice of words? It is possible to convey very different messages by just altering one's delivery of the very same content. I just find that it's usually better to assume that people aren't out to get you (though sometimes it's possible that they are!) until there is more evidence of that. Lacking positive evidence -- as someone who upvoted michigan girl -- I wasn't part of a clique, I just liked both what she said and how she said it.

I looked over what I said again. I took the same strongly-worded tone as michigan girl yet the only thing I can see is that I pointed out said colour-blindness in Dal Phder's comments, who seems to be part of the "well-liked" clique. Again, not what you say or how you say it, it seems, merely who you say it to.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised; I've encountered this in ever forum that I've been to. Somehow I just thought grad students would be more, I don't know... mature?

I looked over what I said again. I took the same strongly-worded tone as michigan girl yet the only thing I can see is that I pointed out said colour-blindness in Dal Phder's comments, who seems to be part of the "well-liked" clique. Again, not what you say or how you say it, it seems, merely who you say it to.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised; I've encountered this in ever forum that I've been to. Somehow I just thought grad students would be more, I don't know... mature?

If you're encountering the same problem no matter where you go, perhaps you should consider that the problem lies with you, not with others. I am of course referring to your tone in this thread.

Now, moving along, where exactly are these schools where caucasians are anywhere near a majority? I don't mean to be inflammatory, I'm just genuinely interested, because both at my undergrad and current grad schools (Ontario and Alberta, respectively), just based on my own observations I would say that caucasians make up less than 20% of the graduate population. Further, this week is orientation week for all incoming grad students, and the whole week is mandatory TA training seminars, so presumably almost everyone in my cohort (across all departments) is in attendance, and again I'd say (though I didn't stop to count) that maybe 20-30% were white, 40% or so were Asian (say what you want, but statistically they do tend to achieve more academically than other races, usually due to cultural factors. For intance, it is common in Japanese high schools for kids to be ostracized for doing poorly in classes (speaking only from experience, I should mention), rather than the other way around), 20% black, 10% arab, and the rest miscellaneous. It must have something to do with geographical location. Or maybe my school has enough international draw that it attracts more international students. I would have thought that maybe its because some schools are located in predominantly white states, but at the graduate level location isn't really as much of an issue as it is for undergrad (it is much more common, almost expected even, to move away for grad school, since the top schools are not likely to be local to you).

One thing I have confirmed through my own casual readings is that international students are starting to favour Canada over the US, because the US's strict visa rules make it almost impossible to get a work visa after their student visa runs out (for instance, the 2012 US quota for non-sponsored work visas ran out in just 2 hours!), whereas Canada will give you a visa as long as you meet the requirements to be useful to society in some occupation that is in demand. This may contribute to a lack of diversity in US universities, but its also true that the US population is already very diverse without the aid of further immigration.

Edited by confusedgradadmit

If I am in this "well-liked" clique, does that make me a minority? :D

Anyone? Humour? No? :)

1Q84...I dunno...I think you are taking someone disagreeing with you quite personally. You're on a forum with graduate students who are going to have strong opinions- that's just who we are. Just because someone has a different point of view and others agree with them (lots of people agreed with you and disagreed with me), doesn't mean you're not liked.

And to comment on confusedgradadmit, I would have to say that I have experienced the same thing at my school. There is a strong presence international students! This also means that our city if VERY diverse and multi-cultural. At a young age you're exposed to a variety of cultures.

With all that said, it still doesn't diminish or colourblind the situation. I fully believe in a social ecological perspective that there are many external factors influencing an individual's life. However, I can't continue to stress that in this thread that it's not solely about ethnicity- there are many cases of sexism, classism, agism, and LGBT discrimination that goes on everyday for students.

I would also like to think the grad cafe is a place where everyone is equal and treated as such...and I think we all try to do that too!

Edited by Dal PhDer

Now, moving along, where exactly are these schools where caucasians are anywhere near a majority?

This may contribute to a lack of diversity in US universities, but its also true that the US population is already very diverse without the aid of further immigration.

In my PhD program, Caucasians are the majority... I would say about 70%. The rest of us are a mix of international students (mainly from Asian countries like China, Korea, and India) and Latinoes. The problem isn't so much that the US population is already diverse--it's that people of different racial and socioeconomic backgrounds have unequal opportunity to learn and become successful. If you look at the population of university/college professors in this country, the majority are white and male. In some departments, such as engineering, I've noticed more professors from international backgrounds, like India or China.

So, I know you're referring to your experiences in Canada, but here in the US, especially in more elite universities or grad programs, I would say the majority is still white (I have absolutely no data to back this up... I'm sure it's around the web somewhere, but too lazy to look it up).

If you're encountering the same problem no matter where you go, perhaps you should consider that the problem lies with you, not with others. I am of course referring to your tone in this thread.

You mean, of course, me speaking my mind in a polite and non-aggressive manner, right? Yeah, I'll try and put a stop to that.

If I am in this "well-liked" clique, does that make me a minority? :D

Anyone? Humour? No? :)

1Q84...I dunno...I think you are taking someone disagreeing with you quite personally. You're on a forum with graduate students who are going to have strong opinions- that's just who we are. Just because someone has a different point of view and others agree with them (lots of people agreed with you and disagreed with me), doesn't mean you're not liked.

Good one! :)

I'm not taking it personally so much as finding it annoying that the same message can at once be cast down but when said to and by others, be supported. All in the same thread. If people disagree with me, fine. But I would expect that when someone else expresses the same opinion that it would be similarly put down.

Anyway, I was more bemused than anything. I'm not sitting here gnashing my teeth over it... moving along indeed, confusedgradadmit!

Edited by 1Q84

I'm glad folks stepped in and are taking colorblindness and "shedding labels" to task in this forum. This makes me very happy.

To OP: I'm also a black woman from the South and I went to an HBCU for undergrad. I now attend a hybrid program in public health and psychology at a top program in the field. The public health department is pretty diverse but my psychology department is all white.

Do I feel a greater sense of responsibility? Sometimes. I feel like I can never be late somewhere because I don't want people to assume that it's because of my race, and I tend to roll my eyes when professors give presentations and never present on (or even test, in some cases) racial data when it potentially matters. Often, on a more abstract level, I feel like I need to succeed to set the bar and be a role model for all the young black folks who will see me in 5-10+ years and feel like they can achieve because I did. (That's how I got to where I am today - there was a black female professor I particularly admired in college.) I also feel like if I fail, people will attribute it to my race. And sometimes, I feel like I can't connect with the people in my department. They don't understand my work fully, although most of that is because I'm a public health student first and we do things differently. Sometimes I look at the paintings in the library or the psych department of old white men - or at the faces of the other students, both my classmates and the undergrads I teach - and I feel like I don't belong here.

But all of that is back-of-the-mind type stuff, or things that happen often enough to be annoying but not constantly. I have a solid cadre of graduate student friends of color (that I met through other means) that I chill with. My classmates are really nice and don't make a big deal out of my race while not ignoring it. My adviser is great and obviously cares about my career development. I love my racial identity and my sense of belongingness in my community. I think attending an HBCU did a lot for me there, because I feel secure in who I am and have those experiences of being one of many high-achieving young black people to draw from when shit gets real here. One of my black friends from high school, a doctor in residency, just started a thread on Facebook about how he wanted to start a clinic in Atlanta and all the black MBAs, lawyers, doctors, researchers and other professionals I went to HS and college with came out the woodwork to talk about what they could offer this clinic. My heart just soared.

I'm also a minority in my department (of southeast asian decent). However, my department deals with international development education and I would think that the students in it would be more sensitive to others from different cultures. I have painfully realized that this is not the case and found myself in deep disappointment. For example, one of the students (who unfortunately has lived abroad, but is still ignorant of the world around him---yes, that can happen!) makes offensive comments like "The British made India a better country." Although I was not born in India, but I know that the statement is just plain wrong. Nonetheless, the other students in the department defend him and I feel like they make the whole idea of international development ed. a joke. I also feel like my opinions are never allowed and that I'm only allowed to be that quiet, bookish asian kid who just goes along with anything. Furthermore, they get slightly offended if I don't want to hang out with them. Why do I want to hang out with a group of people if my opinions aren't valued?

I'm also a minority in my department (of southeast asian decent). However, my department deals with international development education and I would think that the students in it would be more sensitive to others from different cultures. I have painfully realized that this is not the case and found myself in deep disappointment. For example, one of the students (who unfortunately has lived abroad, but is still ignorant of the world around him---yes, that can happen!) makes offensive comments like "The British made India a better country." Although I was not born in India, but I know that the statement is just plain wrong. Nonetheless, the other students in the department defend him and I feel like they make the whole idea of international development ed. a joke. I also feel like my opinions are never allowed and that I'm only allowed to be that quiet, bookish asian kid who just goes along with anything. Furthermore, they get slightly offended if I don't want to hang out with them. Why do I want to hang out with a group of people if my opinions aren't valued?

Even one of my professors (quantum mechanics) started saying a joke about my ethnicity right in class, and then suddenly remembered that this class has a Asian guy in it, and stopped mid sentence. There's only 3 Asian grad students of any sort in my entire physics department.

That is appalling!! When you have those people controlling the majority of the thought, it is really a testament of why more diversity is needed in academia.

Wow, that is amazing. Is anyone in your department a critical race theorist? Unfortunately, changing people's views on race is very difficult. I'm lucky in that my department is very liberal, and as I mentioned previously, have deliberately hired minorities, particularly black women.

The funny thing is that most of us have taken a course on Multicultural Education and we have covered a bit of CRT (critical race theory), but I don't think anyone really takes race and culture seriously. For example, they'll attend a Diwali (Indian festival) event and claim how much they love Indian food, but this says nothing to me or how they actually respect other cultures. Now, I'm not going to pick on my white friends (since my white friends are pretty cool and we respect each other's culture), however I will pick on the fact that most of the people in my program are white. I feel like they are so privileged at times that it is extremely difficult for them to look at culture and race on a deeper level. This does not make me angry at all (I won't ignore the fact that I'm privileged in many ways too) and I know I'm probably over generalizing, but they could at least see my point of view on things. For example, one of the guys in our program has lived in Bangladesh for a few months and always says how nice the people were to him and how rude Americans are in comparison. This guy is a straight, white male---so of course everyone was going to be nice to him so they can sell stuff to him at a high price (which is usually the case)! It would be a completely different story if I went to Bangladesh (as a person of southeast Asian decent and a female). I'm not saying that Bengalis are not nice people, but this guy completely ignores the fact that almost wherever he goes, he will have people look up to him somehow because of his gender and race. Yet, when I open my mouth to comment, he just shouts at me and others flock in to protect him. It's really a disgrace, I had such high hopes for this program and I was looking forward to making new friends, assuming that they had an open mind on race and culture which could hopefully enable intellectual conversations on that topic. Although I have learned a lot (and I do like my professors), but I found myself making friends outside of my program for intellectual stimulation who truely understand race and culture.

Oh, he also claims that Bangladesh and India are the same thing.