Applying Fall 2013? Where?

EdNerd2013

Congrats to everyone that has been getting good news lately!

Is anyone else struggling with deciding on which visit days to attend?  Two of my top schools have them on the same day so I'm trying to see which one would make the most sense to go to and which one I'd be okay visiting on my own.

Sort of. None of mine overlap at this point, but I'm only allowed to take off so many days from work, which is complicated by a co-worker taking a two-week trip overseas. I ended up dumping the days I'd reserved for my top choice based on my chances of getting in (especially now that lots of people have heard back and I haven't)...

Good luck on making your choice!

Hello everyone!  I am new to this site, but have enjoyed reading everyone's application updates.  

So far I have been admitted to Vanderbilt's Peabody for Education Policy and I'm really excited.  @loseric, @suorange03, and @lauren00620, I saw that you guys are going down for the visitation day.  I will be there as well (and am staying all weekend because well, why not make a Nashville vacation out of it?).  Looking forward to it! 

I am very curious to see if I received any funding, but I don't know when I'll hear about that.  HGSE's program is only one year so if I get accepted there, that's a big financial benefit.  We'll see.  Not sure when they let MA candidates know if they are accepted or not.  Also haven't heard from TC, or Stanford, but I think I prefer Vanderbilt anyway.  Anyone want to start a band in Nashville with me?  Haha.  

Hey all,

I have been lurking on these boards for a while, and figured I should finally say hello!

I cannot remember if this was answered somewhere else, but is there a concrete connection between funding and the visitation days? I work at a job where taking any time off could really hurt the program, but I don't want to miss out on going to a great school because I missed out on funding!

Welcome Lbessmer! Are you talking about funding to attend visitation days? If so, from what I understand, it is more common for PhD programs to provide funding support for admitted students to attend visitation days. It also seems that the level of funding support varies from school to school. If you are talking about funding to support you in the program, that I am not sure of and can only speak from one specific experience. The funding support I am receiving from the program I was admitted to is guaranteed for four years regardless of my decision to attend the visit day.

Edited by EW33

Hey all,

I have been lurking on these boards for a while, and figured I should finally say hello!

I cannot remember if this was answered somewhere else, but is there a concrete connection between funding and the visitation days? I work at a job where taking any time off could really hurt the program, but I don't want to miss out on going to a great school because I missed out on funding!

Welcome! Sometimes you can get assistantships while you are there but the school should tell you that.

I got accepted to Vanderbilt's Learning, Diversity, and Urban Studies program, and received a Peabody Honors Scholarship (2/3 tuition).  

Stanford emailed me and told me they didn't have all my letters of recommendation yet, even though I received emails from their system telling me each of them had been submitted.  

Edited by samsonite2pv

Anybody apply to UVa (Curry school of ed)? They've been totally silent...

EdNerd2013-- I'm waiting on Curry too.

I'm waiting as well... According to the results search of previous years, their timeline for the decision making seems quite unpredictable..

Congratulations Loseric!! Are you attending UM's visitation day?

Thanks, emg! I really wish I could, but I have another commitment that day and can't go. :( I think I'm going to visit another day, if I can (emailed them and waiting to hear back). Are you going to attend? If you do, you'll have to let me know how it goes!

For those of you who were also accepted to UCLA phd a couple weeks ago, have any of you received an acceptance package in the mail yet? I was accepted via phone call from my POI to the Human Development and Psychology, and she said I would be getting stuff in the mail soon but it's been over two weeks!

Thanks, emg! I really wish I could, but I have another commitment that day and can't go. :( I think I'm going to visit another day, if I can (emailed them and waiting to hear back). Are you going to attend? If you do, you'll have to let me know how it goes!
Not a problem! I'll definitely let you know how it goes.

Did anyone apply to Rossier at USC? I applied to their PASA program. I haven't heard from them, and see very little discussion on here, or info from the results search.

I did and haven't heard anything either.  I was wondering the same thing, because I haven't seen any results posted.

I did their financial aid webinar a couple of weeks ago and they said that all decisions would be sent out via mail and that it would happen at the beginning of February. 

I know the interview day for assistantship positions is next week so I'm not feeling too optimistic at this point.

I did and haven't heard anything either.  I was wondering the same thing, because I haven't seen any results posted.   I did their financial aid webinar a couple of weeks ago and they said that all decisions would be sent out via mail and that it would happen at the beginning of February.    I know the interview day for assistantship positions is next week so I'm not feeling too optimistic at this point.
I think they might be backed up. Either that or their admissions people are lazy. Every time I emailed them in the fall, it took two weeks or more to respond. I like their program because it incorporates college athletes and east Asia, which are my two big interests, but I'm kind of getting impatient. Glad I got into Vanderbilt.

Charlie3 and suorange03: I heard from USC's PASA program last week on February 7th, with an invitation to Preview Day on Feb. 22nd (which I won't be able to attend because it conflicts with another preview weekend I'm already attending . I was actually surprised to hear anything so soon, as they first couldn't find my app and afterwards couldn't process it (I have no idea how that happens when everything is submitted) and kept emailing me back and forth. Whoever's running the whole thing is a bit disorganized. Hope you guys hear soon!!

Edited by emg28

Charlie3 and suorange03: I heard from USC's PASA program last week on February 7th, with an invitation to Preview Day on Feb. 22nd (which I won't be able to attend because it conflicts with another preview weekend I'm already attending . I was actually surprised to hear anything so soon, as they first couldn't find my app and afterwards couldn't process it (I have no idea how that happens when everything is submitted) and kept emailing me back and forth. Whoever's running the whole thing is a bit disorganized. Hope you guys hear soon!!

Thanks for the info emg28!

Woah.. TC is already giving out acceptances? There are two on the results. None from Higher Ed, but I thought for sure we wouldn't know until mid-March...

Well that's terrible. Now I have to begin worrying. I had been assuming all the current results would be for Higher Ed or Doctoral programs.

Well that's terrible. Now I have to begin worrying. I had been assuming all the current results would be for Higher Ed or Doctoral programs.

Don't worry yet, but it is a little disconcerting. It seems like their decisions are spread out. Still really early though...