Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Congrats, PhDreams!   I was rooting for you!   :)

Awwwwwwwwwwwww! Thank you! I'm rooting for you too!! <3

congrats phddreams!! I'm still waiting for notice from Berkeley english >_< but they notify feb 6th (earliest).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!!! Berkeley Berkeley Berkeley!!!!!!!!

As an aside, I've noticed that schools are notifying earlier across the board. Good news sooner than expected...maybe????

And first acceptance for me :) Hopefully this will stop me from obsessively checking my email the next few days.

Congrats kyjin.

I'm still here and still waiting. I called the graduate chair and he told me in a couple of weeks but here i am, cheking my mail every second even though i know nothing will be there!!! :mellow:

Congrats, that's awesome! Good luck! Out of curiosity, did you reach out to any POIs AFTER you applied? I talked to a few POIs at Minnesota before I submitted my app, but that didn't exactly work out. :-/

Yes, I did contact the POI after I applied. In large part due to particular circumstances. The POI was on sabbatical in the Fall. I spoke to another POI who agreed and recommended that I speak to the other one too at the beginning of the Spring semester. I kept sending very polite emails about a meeting. By the time he responded he said that my application had made it to his desk and he would like to meet because decisions had to made soon. YAY!!!

I love that this page has mostly turned into happy congratulations on acceptances, instead of everyone "losing their damn mind." May the happiness outweigh the uncertainty.

Haha, agreed! Though I think the majority of us are still losing our minds :)

This may sound weird, but I received 2 rejections this week out of 8 total schools, and I actually feel a little bit better, at least I've heard from someone FINALLY! 

Does anyone else feel this way??

This may sound weird, but I received 2 rejections this week out of 8 total schools, and I actually feel a little bit better, at least I've heard from someone FINALLY! 

Does anyone else feel this way??

The first school I applied to never sent me an interview invite, so I assume it's a rejection, but... yeah, I'd be glad for an actual rejection so I can stop checking the application just to be sure. 

I swear I think my email is conspiring against me; five times already this week I've received messages with "Congratulations!" or "You're Invited!" in the subject line, and just now I returned to my desk to see one from someone called "Arts and Sciences".... it was from my alma mater's alumni association. Someone needs to pay for all the heart attacks these have caused!!

One of my applications' status changed from "App Forwarded for Review" to "App forwarded: Interim Review", which i am obviously overanalyzing because the application isn't even actually due until Feb 15.

Also, maybe this is just me, but I never really bothered to unsubscribe from emails (mostly of shopping websites...), I just ignored/deleted them. But now that I'm actually expecting emails that matter, I've been unsubscribing from these like crazy. There's nothing worse than seeing a new email, praying for an admission decision, and instead seeing something about Spring Trends from Forever 21...

One of my applications' status changed from "App Forwarded for Review" to "App forwarded: Interim Review", which i am obviously overanalyzing because the application isn't even actually due until Feb 15.

Also, maybe this is just me, but I never really bothered to unsubscribe from emails (mostly of shopping websites...), I just ignored/deleted them. But now that I'm actually expecting emails that matter, I've been unsubscribing from these like crazy. There's nothing worse than seeing a new email, praying for an admission decision, and instead seeing something about Spring Trends from Forever 21...

I have gmails priority inbox, so I've pretty much marked everything but grad school related and work emails as "not important". I get irrationally annoyed when I get an email from my boss now. 

Narrowed it down to 15 quickly, then to a dozen, then applied to nine -- those on my signature.  All very selective schools but across the spectrum; some long shots and a couple that were not top 25 ranked.  I'm a decent candidate; not a top candidate, but I meet everyone's "requirements" and have a few things going for me and a couple knocks against me.  

Seeing that most of my programs accept 5-10% of applicants, and I applied to 9... I am now practically convinced that the statistical probability that I will receive an invite with funding is unlikely because 9 times 5-10% does not meet a 100% surety threshhold... and that's just bad math but my DAMN BRAIN will not let me get over it.  Aaauuuuggggghhhhh!!!!

So I ask myself, what would be the "good math"?  It's more like flipping a coin nine times... with the chance I get in with funding somewhere being equal to the chance that the coin lands perfectly on it's edge.  Again brain... why you gotta be like that?

One acceptance.  Any single one.  The rest can even send me letters about how terrible I am.  JUST ONE....

Thank you for letting me vent.

I have unsubscribed from half of my normal emails, lol.  I got really mad at one that kept sending them even after I unsubscribed.  I hate going to my inbox and seeing all of the junk sales... and no acceptances!   :angry:

I have gmails priority inbox, so I've pretty much marked everything but grad school related and work emails as "not important". I get irrationally annoyed when I get an email from my boss now. 

Exactly! Why one school had to send an e-mail encouraging applicants to visit campus with the subject line "Welcome to X!" and another sends e-mails with the subject line  "Congratulations! Your application is complete" is beyond me. I'm starting to wonder if the tourture is intentional.

Also, wemayet, you have no idea how wonderful it was to read your post and discover that someone is thinking the EXACT same thing as me!

So I ask myself, what would be the "good math"?  It's more like flipping a coin nine times... with the chance I get in with funding somewhere being equal to the chance that the coin lands perfectly on it's edge.  Again brain... why you gotta be like that?

Well, probability generally depends on all outcomes having an equal and random chance of occurring... so I'm not sure there is good math on this one. However, don't let that stop you if you can bad math your way to keeping your sanity until you're accepted somewhere.  -_-

Narrowed it down to 15 quickly, then to a dozen, then applied to nine -- those on my signature.  All very selective schools but across the spectrum; some long shots and a couple that were not top 25 ranked.  I'm a decent candidate; not a top candidate, but I meet everyone's "requirements" and have a few things going for me and a couple knocks against me.  

Seeing that most of my programs accept 5-10% of applicants, and I applied to 9... I am now practically convinced that the statistical probability that I will receive an invite with funding is unlikely because 9 times 5-10% does not meet a 100% surety threshhold... and that's just bad math but my DAMN BRAIN will not let me get over it.  Aaauuuuggggghhhhh!!!!

One acceptance.  Any single one.  The rest can even send me letters about how terrible I am.  JUST ONE....

Thank you for letting me vent.

I love this.

But here's the thing. The odds of being entirely shut out -- just based on pure numbers, assuming a 50% chance -- are really, really bad. There are dozens of different combinations whereby you get into at least one program, but only one way in which you get into none.

I have an acceptance!  Aaaaaa!  It's official - I am going to grad school... somewhere!   :D

Congratulations and lucky you!

Acceptances to my first school just went out and I didn't make the cut (I expect the official rejection later this week). Even though I probably won't hear from other schools for at least a month I keep refreshing results and apps... it's horrible! Of course I'm home sick and have nothing else to do. Going back to work will seem like a relief! <_<

I also can't help thinking that I should have applied to more schools. With only 3 left to hear from the nerves are really starting to set in.

Edited by iphi

I love this.

But here's the thing. The odds of being entirely shut out -- just based on pure numbers, assuming a 50% chance -- are really, really bad. There are dozens of different combinations whereby you get into at least one program, but only one way in which you get into none.

Everytime I am sad I'm just going to look at this and feel better. :)

CONGRATS amlobo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!