Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

It's been a long, arduous process but I really hope everyone takes a second to acknowledge just how much work and energy they've had to put into this dream and how proud they should be of themselves. This is it, the final stretch! And as soon as decisions are in, this whole exhausting process will be some far-off memory we never think about. Stay strong stay optimistic, and do something a little nice for yourself as a reward for all your hard work!

New comer here. Found this site on a google search. Soon as I saw this thread I wanted to laugh because I am bordering insanity with the wait. I applied to my dream school Johns Hopkins in June. The program is in bioinformatics. They asked me for a GRE in August. Took it in November and they got it in December  I've been waiting ever since. I've called check emails I'm getting restless lol.

It's been a long, arduous process but I really hope everyone takes a second to acknowledge just how much work and energy they've had to put into this dream and how proud they should be of themselves. This is it, the final stretch! And as soon as decisions are in, this whole exhausting process will be some far-off memory we never think about. Stay strong stay optimistic, and do something a little nice for yourself as a reward for all your hard work!

Very well said, thanks for that great reminder.  It's been an exhausting year for all us, I'm sure.  When I think back 12 months to when I still had about 25 schools on my "short list" and I was carrying around GRE vocab cards in my pocket everywhere I went, it's amazing to think of the incredible amounts of time and effort that went into this process.  We will all feel great when (hopefully) all of this hard work pays off and acceptances are received. 

Personally, none of my programs have started announcing decisions so I am still feeling some pretty intense anxiety and moments of self-doubt, but I am sincerely happy for everyone who has received good news so far and am doing my best to think positive.  After taking the GREs twice and spending months writing SOPs, filling out forms, cleaning up writing samples, etc, I felt this huge sense of relief when I hit the button on my final application and the work was done.  Throughout this process, however, I never imagined that the most emotionally and physically taxing period of this endeavor would actually be these final weeks during the waiting period when everything is out of our hands and all we have left to do is cross days off the calendar and try not to drive our friends and family crazy with our increasingly neurotic behavior.

What do you plan to do to reward yourself/celebrate, radiomars?  I haven't decided what to do for myself yet, I guess because I don't want to get carried away and put the cart before the horse. Congrats on your acceptance!

Edited by Quigley

I've been reading this forum for around 2 years... Preparing myself for applying to grad school, anxiously waiting for this time to come. And now I'm freaking out. 

I applied to all schools very late, like several weeks before the deadlines (Feb 1 and Feb 15)...

If it makes you feel any better, I applied to schools several minutes before the deadlines.

New comer here. Found this site on a google search. Soon as I saw this thread I wanted to laugh because I am bordering insanity with the wait. I applied to my dream school Johns Hopkins in June. The program is in bioinformatics. They asked me for a GRE in August. Took it in November and they got it in December  I've been waiting ever since. I've called check emails I'm getting restless lol.
Welcome to our insanity!

My brain just keeps telling me that 1 application is a foolhardy shot in the dark.  I have no idea what to do except reread my SOP over and over again, moan as I look at the number of applications most folks have submitted, refresh the survey page on gradcafe, cross my fingers, and feel like the little engine that couldn't.
Welcome! You are not alone! There are several of us who have only applied to one school! Good Luck! :)

OMG! CONGRATSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome news, I wish I would hear anything...at all...but alas I keep waiting.

Wow that's great, good luck EW33!

Congrats EW33!! Good luck! Go ace that interview! :)

Thanks guys!!!! I think the interview went really well! Now I am just waiting for a final decision. Good luck to you all! I hope you begin hearing some news soon (or continue to hear news for those of you who have gotten responses already)! 

As of yesterday, I am losing my mind a little less (keep reading for the reason). While sitting in the vet's office for my dog's annual check-up, I noticed I had a couple of new emails. When I checked my email, graduate school was not on my mind (I was too busy trying to calm down a very nervous dog), so when I opened up my email to see a message with the subject "Greetings from [insert name of University]", I nearly screamed and did a happy dance! It was my POI from my top choice program letting me know he'd like to interview me over the phone!!! I am so excited, but also so nervous. Wish me luck!!
Best Wishes!

I was, and still kind of am, but going back to classes has helped a lot. At least now I feel productive again.
^^This. Plus knowing that things are going to be dramatically different in 6 months no matter the outcome is helpful too. I do wish I could just know what was going to happen, though.

I was, and still kind of am, but going back to classes has helped a lot. At least now I feel productive again.

I wish I could say this. You know what I do in class? Yeah, that's right, the same thing I do everywhere else!

Refresh-Refresh-Refresh

I'm all, "Oh, an assignment was due? Well, [shrug] whatever..." I have tried and tried to make myself care, but until I have at least one acceptance or a couple of interviews lined up, I just have no willpower left for class.

Thankfully, the doc has me on some new meds:

literaryfavorite4fdaf6ca8cfb7.jpg

I wish I could say this. You know what I do in class? Yeah, that's right, the same thing I do everywhere else!

Refresh-Refresh-Refresh

I'm all, "Oh, an assignment was due? Well, [shrug] whatever..." I have tried and tried to make myself care, but until I have at least one acceptance or a couple of interviews lined up, I just have no willpower left for class.

Thankfully, the doc has me on some new meds:

literaryfavorite4fdaf6ca8cfb7.jpg

this is me

If it makes you feel any better, I applied to schools several minutes before the deadlines.

Or uhhh... A week late. To my credit, the idea of going didn't occur to me until the evening before the deadline.

Yeah guys, you're definitely making me feel better :) Hope it all will work out great for you anyways!

Refresh-Refresh-Refresh

Ha ha!  Same here...I can barely work up the will to read for class or work on my thesis.  Once I get just one acceptance, I'll feel so relieved and happy, I'm sure the rest of the semester will be no problem! :)

Thanks a million! Said a prayer for everyone today!

Thanks for the prayer - I will say one, as well.  This has really turned out to be the most nerve-wracking part of the process.  Hope everyone is hanging in there, absolutely killing it on their interviews, and hearing nothing but good news! :D

Anyone feel like a school is messing with them? I haven't received an official decision yet, but hofstra e-mails me yesterday to set up like an official e-mail address and stuff through their online student portal (a website aside from the one you apply on and can still log into to check your application). It was sent from like their computing department I guess. It even began with "Welcome to Hofstra University!"  :huh:

Buuuut....I still haven't received official word on my status yet...so I really don't know what to make of this, I guess it's not a bad thing which is nice?

Applying to MA/MS programs while doing the year off thing.

Couldn't find anything more than a part time job. 

Like all of you, I am going absolutely batty. 

Yes. I guess I work nearly full time but it gives me a lot of technology time during the day and not much brain work either so it's not like I have a distraction. I'm sitting in on a class because I need a few hours a week where I'm guaranteed to be thinking about something else but it's getting to be not enough. I was mostly just bored, but as it gets closer and closer to the time when my schools should start responding, I am starting to really feel the anxiety that everyone else has been talking about.

Yep.  Losing my mind now.  I have very little to distract me because spring classes start Monday.  The more I think about my applications, the more I realize my errors. I should have applied to the Illinois Slavic Languages & Literatures dept instead of their general Slavic Studies program.  Pittsburgh suddenly seems like such a long shot after reading the history of results on the gradcafe results page.  I should have saved my Indiana app for last because my SOPs became progressively better and Indiana is where I most want to go.  I should have applied to more programs.  I'm dreaming of grad school possibilities (mostly rejections and disasters upon starting programs). Indiana clearly makes decisions quickly and sends them via regular mail so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the mailman.  I'm reading posts/horror stories on the already-grad-student threads (making me more scared about both acceptances and rejections).  I hate this uncertainty and having too much time on my hands.  My insecurities are deeper than I realized.  Ahhhhhhh......

- K

Ha ha!  Same here...I can barely work up the will to read for class or work on my thesis.  Once I get just one acceptance, I'll feel so relieved and happy, I'm sure the rest of the semester will be no problem! :)

Refresh-Refresh-Refresh

I'm apparently in a different mindset than you guys but maybe it's because I'm working full time and not a student.  Once I get in somewhere, I think I'm going to be far more checked out than I am now.