Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

The schools I applied to don't send out notifications until the end - some very close to April 15. I am not stressed right now because I know it is way too early. A few schools don't have deadline until Jan. 15, including my dream school, so it will be a while.

Good luck to the science folks and others who should be hearing back soon!!!

Not exactly losing my mind, but starting to obsess a little. I saw from the results that someone already got an interview invite to the EEPB program at Washington University in St. Louis around Dec 20th... I keep telling myself that they must have put in their application early and that's why I haven't heard from them, but that's just wishful thinking. I only had two Dec 1st apps (WUSTL and Cornell), and one Dec 15th (Syracuse). The rest are still upcoming. Although I did get an e-mail from PSU saying my application was forwarded to the admissions committee for review, so maybe I'll hear something a little sooner on that one.

Trying to keep calm, though. Following the results, if I'm going to hear something from most of my schools, I probably won't until late Jan/early Feb.

Omg I wasn't freaking out until I came to this forum. I'm applying to sciences and submitted 3 of my apps for the Dec 1 deadline. Haven't heard back from any. I thought I had a decent chance at all schools given that I graduated summa, with BA and MA and a little research experience. >.< Guess not.

Was contacted by a professor at one of the schools and had a phone conversation with her this morning. It was relatively short (20min) and I dunno how well it went. I thought it went okay, but I have nothing to match it against.

Commence freak-out. Pretending it never happened...

@nohika I'm sure it was fine :) I think they just want to make sure that it's like the same person as on the app and that you're interested.

Like everyone else, I am feverishly checking my email and the results database even though I won't hear from most of my programs until Jan-Feb...

My mentor's the same as you - "I'm sure it went well". I have no idea.

If this process has taught me one thing, it's how absolutely little I know about this whole thing. My mentor is like "Oh, I'll let you know if she contacts me for a recommendation. I mean, I did the general ones, but." I'm like "...what?" I think even she forgets how little I know sometimes.

I will be so glad when this whole process is over and I'm (hopefully) accepted. This stress cannot be healthy!

Was contacted by a professor at one of the schools and had a phone conversation with her this morning. It was relatively short (20min) and I dunno how well it went. I thought it went okay, but I have nothing to match it against.

Commence freak-out. Pretending it never happened...

Congrats on the phone call. This is promising! I'm sure you did well too. :)!!

I'm still freaking out over here. I got an email from NYU today and I nearly had a heart attack....my app has been processed. D: Gahhh...

I don't understand...six of the schools I'm applying to (neuro PhD) have sent out interview invitations and I haven't heard back from a single one. I have a 3.7 gpa, 2 1/2 years of research experience, 3 outstanding LORs including one from a well known neuroscientist, and ok GREs (80th percentile).

I understand that I am applying to difficult places, but something about this seems unfair. I am really starting to freak out.

Edited by ControlR

I'm still freaking out over here. I got an email from NYU today and I nearly had a heart attack....my app has been processed. D: Gahhh...

I hate these emails! I received one from a school saying that my app had been received and was being processed, then another saying that the school would be closing from this date to this date, then another asking did I know that I could log into my account and check whether my materials had been received. I wanted to reply back so badly, "did YOU know that it sucks when you send out multiple emails that are NOT admissions decisions???". Losing my mind here.

I don't understand...six of the schools I'm applying to (neuro PhD) have sent out interview invitations and I haven't heard back from a single one. I have a 3.7 gpa, 2 1/2 years of research experience, 3 outstanding LORs including one from a well known neuroscientist, and ok GREs (80th percentile).

I understand that I am applying to difficult places, but something about this seems unfair. I am really starting to freak out.

This. With the exception of the reaches I applied to, I feel like the schools that I applied to are pretty good matches for me. I have spent a lot of time regretting applying to this school, I should have applied to that one instead, why did I waste my money like that, what's wrong with me, why don't they like me, ok fine I hate you too. Freaking out!

This. With the exception of the reaches I applied to, I feel like the schools that I applied to are pretty good matches for me. I have spent a lot of time regretting applying to this school, I should have applied to that one instead, why did I waste my money like that, what's wrong with me, why don't they like me, ok fine I hate you too. Freaking out!

I'm kind of jealous of this. :unsure:  I picked my schools based on fit, not having any idea on what really would be reaches/top schools/etc. Turns out a couple of the schools I applied to are the top programs. And my overall stats aren't very competitive (low overall GPA - like 3.1/3.2 low, depending - some have it as low as a 2.7), but decent GREs (89th in Verbal, 92nd in writing, but 65th in Quant), almost three years of research experience, awesome LORs.

Mentor is cautiously optimistic and more on the edge of her seat than I am!!!

So far, I am planning a training plan for the new shoes I got (high heels) so I can wear them without killing myself, putting my research hat on and finishing up some stuff for a paper I have to write that we plan to submit to a journal and basically trying to forget I ever applied to graduate school so I stop making myself sick. My stomach rolls and makes me nauseated every time I think about how close to the first decision I am (just a couple weeks).

Edited by nohika

I'm kind of jealous of this. :unsure:  I picked my schools based on fit, not having any idea on what really would be reaches/top schools/etc. Turns out a couple of the schools I applied to are the top programs. And my overall stats aren't very competitive (low overall GPA - like 3.1/3.2 low, depending - some have it as low as a 2.7), but decent GREs (89th in Verbal, 92nd in writing, but 65th in Quant), almost three years of research experience, awesome LORs.

Mentor is cautiously optimistic and more on the edge of her seat than I am!!!

My "matches" were pretty much based on fit. When I say fit, I mean the amount of faculty that are doing work in areas where I have research experience. I don't have the best GRE's, but I have extensive research experience and strong LORs from research faculty, which is what I thought could overshadow my mediocre GRE scores. My mentors have told me that my GREs aren't as important as the other aspects of my application, but I can't help thinking that I shot myself in the foot by over-reaching and now I just know that my application was weeded out initially due to lower GRE scores. Sigh.

When I got a similar e-mail from PSU just before Christmas, I had the same reaction. The e-mail I used for all my apps doesn't get that much e-mail, and I have all my e-mails sent to my phone. So I have a heart attack every day or so when I get some stupid e-mail unrelated to grad school, and then get really mad when I see what it is.

I think I am beyond losing my mind. I have been checking the websites of the schools I applied to daily, thinking I will find some additional information about the admissions selection process that will help ease my anxiety (that has yet to happen). I check my application status multiple times per day even though I don't expect it to change since schools are closed for the holiday break. I just want to fast forward to February already.

Don't stress yourself out. You've put in the work during the past 4 years to give yourself the best case possible for these schools to accept you, and based on what you have said it sounds like that is a pretty darn good case. Just because others are hearing back doesn't mean you will not hear back soon as well. You don't know when they submitted their applications, and you don't necessarily know what the people who have recieved interviews were like. Be confident that your application will stand out above almost everyone and be excited for your first interview invitation! It will come!

Edited by Faraday

@ion_exchanger

I wanted to reply back so badly, "did YOU know that it sucks when you send out multiple emails that are NOT admissions decisions???". Losing my mind here.

LOL

@nohika

My stomach rolls and makes me nauseated every time I think about how close to the first decision I am (just a couple weeks).

Me tooooooo! Gahhh.... I just want decisions already. Just break my heart and be done with it, schools!

@shadowclaw

When I got a similar e-mail from PSU just before Christmas, I had the same reaction. The e-mail I used for all my apps doesn't get that much e-mail, and I have all my e-mails sent to my phone. So I have a heart attack every day or so when I get some stupid e-mail unrelated to grad school, and then get really mad when I see what it is.

I jump every time I get an email. It's so depressing.

@EW33

I think I am beyond losing my mind. I have been checking the websites of the schools I applied to daily, thinking I will find some additional information about the admissions selection process that will help ease my anxiety (that has yet to happen). I check my application status multiple times per day even though I don't expect it to change since schools are closed for the holiday break. I just want to fast forward to February already.

I've also been checking my apps and good thing I did! I noticed that somehow I did not attach a writing sample to one of my apps that required multiple essays. I must have skipped it since all of the supplementals got uploaded together in one section. There wasn't a dedicated space for it like in other apps. I hope they let me resubmit!!!!!!!!!! Or else... that one goes down the drain. :C !!!!!!!!

I didn't start freaking out until my professors told me they were nervous about my interviews. THAT made me nervous. Based on a little research, I shouldn't expect much from the other schools until late next week. So I think I will be okay until then. In the meantime, I'm trying to get sleep and work on more applications.

Chemistry programs never really interview. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing since I know I am a very good speaker/communicator and I feel like I could really improve my application during an interview; however that is one less thing to stress out about. Having interviews seems to double the stress-factor. You are worried about getting an interview and then you repeat the process worrying about having the interview, how the interview went, and it you will get accepted after it is all said and done!

I didn't start freaking out until my professors told me they were nervous about my interviews. THAT made me nervous. Based on a little research, I shouldn't expect much from the other schools until late next week. So I think I will be okay until then. In the meantime, I'm trying to get sleep and work on more applications.

Yes. One of my mentors basically said that I wasn't the best oral communicator out of those of us in the lab applying to med/grad school and started giving me tips on the people I'll meet, how to make small talk, how to be engaging. I'm naturally shy, so the social aspect of the interviews actually gives me the most worry. I'm finished all of my apps, and I just have one letter of recommendation missing, then I can relax. Who am I kidding? I can keepy worrying. I honestly didn't expect to be this stressed out.

@ion_exchanger: Oddly I haven't had that issue, but there are only two of us eligible and actually applying out.

I think these two professors really want me to get into a decent program. They were my undergraduate and Master's research mentors. I guess that makes them sortof my science parents? They know I'm good at verbal communication, and they know that I've been successfully through major interviews for other things as well as served on committees for interviews, before. They keep trying to keep me confident by telling me which schools they think I will get into. That is what makes me nervous. Then they play the "Lets quiz our nervous student over everything she knows in one question," game. It doesn't help. Apparently I make them nervous because one of the professors I picked out knows them really well (unbeknownst to me), and obviously that makes me a direct impression of their teaching. They are also just really excited that I've decided to go for a PhD. I think they thought I would quit after my M.S.

As far as family at the holiday, I escaped most of it, too... but my mom likes to run around telling everyone that I am going to cure cancer. I used to do tumor suppressor research, but not anymore. I've given up trying to explain what I do and simply say I work with mice or cells on a dish.

I'm adding a couple of backup schools, now, so now I full applications to do. Plus prepping for classes, running experiments, and gathering literature for my thesis. That is driving me nuts!

Edited by biotechie

Back up schools???? What are back up schools?!

I just had a mini freak out when it finally sunk in that I was applying to get my PhD. Really? What possessed me to think I should do this? Why? What's wrong with me? What made me think I could get it? :(!!!

I just had a mini freak out when it finally sunk in that I was applying to get my PhD. Really? What possessed me to think I should do this? Why? What's wrong with me? What made me think I could get it? :(!!!

They're schools I still think that I could be happy at and do well at, but they're not the schools of my dreams. They have programs that are not exactly the way I would like to get a PhD (i.e. really drawn out coursework). I'm trying really hard to be realistic. I don't think the fact that I'm really applying for a PhD has sunk in. We'll see how I feel after I hear yes or no from my schools.

I think that same thing sometimes. What am I thinking considering a PhD? I am actually doing quite well with my master's and don't really need a PhD. But I am going for it.

Good luck.

@ion_exchanger: Oddly I haven't had that issue, but there are only two of us eligible and actually applying out.

I think these two professors really want me to get into a decent program. They were my undergraduate and Master's research mentors. I guess that makes them sortof my science parents?

Haha I love that, science parents. One of my mentors was my professor for 2 years, and then we worked together in the lab for another two years. I feel the same about him.

I had a mini freak out when I started registering for apps, wondering if I really wanted to do this. I thought, I'm nothing like that nice collection of graduate students on everyone's website. What would my picture look like up there? I should just stay here on the ground and get a nice job. No, no, no, my younger self convinced me that I needed to go big or go home. Had to get the highest title. Shut up, younger self. :P

They're schools I still think that I could be happy at and do well at, but they're not the schools of my dreams. They have programs that are not exactly the way I would like to get a PhD (i.e. really drawn out coursework). I'm trying really hard to be realistic. I don't think the fact that I'm really applying for a PhD has sunk in. We'll see how I feel after I hear yes or no from my schools.

Maybe the sciences are a little different, but in Anthro the cohorts are so small (4-5) that there really aren't such things as back up schools. If you don't match, you don't match. The rank of the school really isn't that relevant. As in, I think that I could apply to lower ranked schools, but still get rejected because they're not really open to doing the kind of work that I'm into.

I think that same thing sometimes. What am I thinking considering a PhD? I am actually doing quite well with my master's and don't really need a PhD. But I am going for it.

Good luck.

Ahhh...thanks. You too! I'm also quite happy with my current grad program and am still asking myself why I chose to apply this year. It's been so stressful. This process would have been so much easier if I was only working. I would have so much more time available to do this. Apps on top of grad work, an assistantship, and orgs is kinda insane. I really feel like I could have done a better job with these apps. Maybe I should have waited... but then again, I don't know if I would be willing to go through this again if I didn't have support from profs.

Haha I love that, science parents. One of my mentors was my professor for 2 years, and then we worked together in the lab for another two years. I feel the same about him.

Been working for my mentor for three years now. :D  Kind of like a surrogate parent to me now.

My Mom's threatening to kick me out (again). I'd be more worried if she hasn't been threatening on and off for like a year.I just hope she never carries out the threat - not now. Not the final semester I need to before I graduate - and I have to graduate if I want to (hopefully) enter graduate school this coming fall. I work, but not enough to be able to live on my own if I have to...

Nothing like an extra helping of stress, right?