Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Yes. She just corrected the school name for me. There was one other small typo (an extra s at the end of a word) that was corrected in the new version. I'm a little worried, though, since my official GRE scores I tried to get sent to them still haven't been sent. Looks like another phone call day!

I'm literally going into the other lab to work, and my phone will be sitting on the other side of the room (on silent), set up so that it shows a "preview" of the first three lines of each e-mail that comes in. I can check it on the 3 minute breaks.

Ha ha!  I think I'm going to try to set a limit on how often I can check my cell phone for emails...I was thinking once an hour, but I have a sneaky feeling it'll be more like once every fifteen minutes come February.  I seriously wish I could fast-forward time a few weeks just to get the wait over with! :P

that is so nice that the admin corrected the essay for you :) In a few of my earlier essays there was a small typo that none of my editors caught  <_< but I'm hoping it won't make the difference between an admit and a rejection. It probably won't.  -_-

Ha ha!  I think I'm going to try to set a limit on how often I can check my cell phone for emails...I was thinking once an hour, but I have a sneaky feeling it'll be more like once every fifteen minutes come February.  I seriously wish I could fast-forward time a few weeks just to get the wait over with! :P

Can't you set your email to "push" to your phone? It becomes instant then. :P I turned that feature off because it drained my battery too quickly, but it would have helped with the email anxiety.

Congrats on the nice email. Hopefully it was a Freudian slip, and you're in. I don't even want to look at my SoPs now that they're in and I can't really do anything about them. I'm checking this site and my email any free chance I have at work. It's going to be awful once my boss comes back from vaca. Pretty sure it's developed into an addiction.

I just emailed asking if they would let me swap out my writing sample. I accidentally submitted a draft that didn't have my final edits. I have so many versions of every document that now Im freaked out that I may have submitted other "in progress" documents. Ahhhhhhhhhh :o

I just emailed asking if they would let me swap out my writing sample. I accidentally submitted a draft that didn't have my final edits. I have so many versions of every document that now Im freaked out that I may have submitted other "in progress" documents. Ahhhhhhhhhh :o

The way I avoid that is that I name each one "Draft 1 Personal Statement," etc every time I make a major change (like adding or subtracting a whole paragraph). When I get it done, I name it "Personal Statement Final" and then make a PDF of it named "My Name Personal Statement School.Initials" so that I know which copy goes to which school. Each school also has its own folder where I've put my list of professors, some papers they wrote that I downloaded, and other info specific to that program. Obviously if I have written the wrong school in one of the statements in an essay I'm not going to know it from the title alone, but I will at least know which one is my final draft. Hopefully I catch stuff like that in my final read throughs for future writings. The people who proofed it didn't catch it, either.

Now I am really losing my mind. My application to Arkansas was supposed to have been there on Dec 29. I keep checking several times a day and still no delivery confirmation. According to the USPS website, it's sitting at the Fayetteville post office. I'm praying it's safe and sound, but I keep worrying something bad might have happened to it. The school is supposed to have opened today. It's my top choice too.  :(

Snail mail is worse. You can't get that on your phone and you can't get it if you're not at home. At least with email you aren't a prisoner in your own house, and no mail people are harmed/frightened in the process. 

Haha! Those poor mail people. Even though they say the postal mail is suffering financially, I bet they are secretly glad that college aged kids are no longer harassing them for missing college letters!

Yes. She just corrected the school name for me. There was one other small typo (an extra s at the end of a word) that was corrected in the new version. I'm a little worried, though, since my official GRE scores I tried to get sent to them still haven't been sent. Looks like another phone call day!

I'm literally going into the other lab to work, and my phone will be sitting on the other side of the room (on silent), set up so that it shows a "preview" of the first three lines of each e-mail that comes in. I can check it on the 3 minute breaks.

LOL! I can check my email on the hour and half hour, and I can check grad cafe on the 15 and 45. That is how I stay sane.

Can't you set your email to "push" to your phone? It becomes instant then. :P I turned that feature off because it drained my battery too quickly, but it would have helped with the email anxiety.

I switched that feature off for the same reason, actually! :) Also, I suspect that I'd get overly excited every time my phone buzzed...in the long run, it'd probably exacerbate my stress - heh! :P

I turned my push off too, but my checking y email every second probably drains the battery even faster. I have five email accounts linked up to my phone, so whenever one of them gets a new email, cue mini heart attack.

I turned my push off too, but my checking y email every second probably drains the battery even faster. I have five email accounts linked up to my phone, so whenever one of them gets a new email, cue mini heart attack.

That's me, too! I have two e-mail accounts on my phone, with the same notification sound. I'm always saying rotten things to my phone when it's the other e-mail account.

Spent all day out on a mini-vacation with my sister and had a blast. Didn't even think about grad school.

Too bad that mentality likely won't last another couple weeks...

Now I am really losing my mind. My application to Arkansas was supposed to have been there on Dec 29. I keep checking several times a day and still no delivery confirmation. According to the USPS website, it's sitting at the Fayetteville post office. I'm praying it's safe and sound, but I keep worrying something bad might have happened to it. The school is supposed to have opened today. It's my top choice too.  :(

Spent all day out on a mini-vacation with my sister and had a blast. Didn't even think about grad school.

Too bad that mentality likely won't last another couple weeks...

That's great! Enjoy yourself!

Do you have a print out of the screen shot? You may need it, though I'm sure they understand how holiday mail is!

^I do now. Thanks, I didn't even think of that! I'm hoping they are just holding mail for the school and it will be delivered tomorrow. I'm really wishing I had just driven it up there myself now.

I was only kind of stressed until I started reading this... now I think I'm getting a twitch. So far, I've only contacted a professor at one of my schools, and my next app is due on Saturday. I sure hope they'll still think of me kindly if I'm contacting them after the deadline and pledging my undying interest in their research topics...

Recieved a mysterious phone call just now!

...and it was my dentist's office calling to remind me of my appointment next week. -_-

Edited by Faraday

Nooooo! Luckily for me, according to grad cafe results, only one of my programs has a history of notifying applicants via phone. I don't get the best reception at my lab bench. I could see myself now: leaving my phone by the window to receive a phone call, but running to the phone every 5 minutes to check my email.

Also, congrats on your acceptances already, Faraday! We are from the same state. I applied to MCB at college park.

Edited by ion_exchanger

I got an email yesterday with the headline "This e-mail contains a link to important information regarding your application".  The body then said "You have a new electronic notice from Graduate Admissions! To open, click here to log in to your account, and click the Messaging link."

And... it was a message saying the deadline had been extended.  Grrrrr!  Can't they put that in the email heading... instead of sending an email directing you to your application status site... directing you to a message!?  I imagine the graduate admissions office laughing thinking about how many panic attacks they caused with that one email.  :)

My best friend keeps obsessively saying "you'll hear something good" and "of course you'll get in." I know he's just trying to help, but really it's making me panic more. And most of my deadlines aren't until February. I'm gonna die...

My best friend keeps obsessively saying "you'll hear something good" and "of course you'll get in." I know he's just trying to help, but really it's making me panic more. And most of my deadlines aren't until February. I'm gonna die...

I have forbidden all of my friends to speak about it unless I bring it up. It seemed really mean when I did it, but it's been very helpful in my crusade to not completely loose my mind. 

I have forbidden all of my friends to speak about it unless I bring it up. It seemed really mean when I did it, but it's been very helpful in my crusade to not completely loose my mind. 

My friend asked me today how applications were going, and I just replied "vomitous."  She changed the subject.