2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

got into CUNY Graduate Center. But funding is unclear, which is what others seem to be reporting today too.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between CUNY and the CUNY Graduate Center?

Also, congrats to everyone on your admits! Enjoy this feeling!

I was rejected from Northwestern.

For future posters, it seems that Northwestern does not admit students in waves. If you have not received a decision by the time others have theirs, it is likely you have been rejected.

I'm still waiting. And still hoping for a second wave!

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between CUNY and the CUNY Graduate Center?

I believe the only difference is that CUNY is for undergrads. However, I stand to be corrected. 

CUNY is the consortium of all the universities of the city of New York which have a specific emphasis on undergrad teaching (it includes, for example, City College, Hunter College, Baruch College, the Graduate Center etc).

CUNY Graduate Center is an institution within CUNY which is responsible for Masters and PhDs. Its faculty is formed by part of the faculty of the other CUNY schools.

At least, this is the way I understand it :-)

Folks, now that you heard from most of your schools, I have some advice to give out of experience (I've been in grad school a couple of times for different degrees...):

1. THE most important advice: never, and I mean never, settle for a misfit department: take your time and apply again later until you get in to the school the fits you best.

2. Read research from various journals in your discipline (esp. mainstream ones): does that sound like something you can do? If you think it's disgusting (the way of writing, the research questions...), consider changing disciplines very seriously. You cannot afford to ignore the mainstream journals until you are established somewhere...

3. You belong, most probably, to an adjunct generation: I hate to break it to you, but "THE ECONOMY" is going to get much worse. Many of my friends who finished their PhDs in social science had to settle for jobs in community colleges (a couple actually decided to become high-school teachers). This might be easier if you are willing to work in a different country (but they have standards and competition too you know!).

4. If you do end up in a department that doesn't quite fit you: don't just stay their hanging, it could ruin your life! So, make a decision early on, either to suck it up and work REAL hard to get out of there, or to drop out and apply again (or do something else!). I vote for the latter, since even if you do a great job finishing quickly, you have to remember it is a misfit: who is going to vouch for you in the job market?

5. last but not least: READ! Wherever you end up, they are going to tell you that every paper you write for a seminar should be a paper that you are refining so it goes somewhere (comp., publication etc.). That is bullshit: this is exactly how you don't learn anything. So don't be afraid in your first two years to just read whatever the hell you want - it's grad-school!

I hope you all find this helpful... I'm not sure what else to advise, but here's what I have for now.

Good luck!

@NotSure - Your post is off topic. We are here to share news of our acceptances and rejections. I realize someone else interjected with a warning about CUNY, but I believe we should do our best to keep to the topic at hand. I believe most--if not all--of us who have posted to this thread have spent sufficient time acquainting ourselves with our chosen discipline and its associative body of literature and/or methodologies. Having survived the application process, and having made a 'good faith' investment in our futures, I am sure that we each have spent a good many hours researching both our top choice programs as well as our safety, backup programs, including the faculty at each, their body of work, etc. Probability would suggest that some of us here already have research experience in the field, and perahps even an MA or two. I doubt many of us are pursuing this path for glory, the outstanding pay, stable track to tenure, or academic celebrity. Adjunct generation or not, I believe the vast majority of the 2013 applicant pool is inspired by intellectual engagement, following a particular line of inquiry, theoretical dialogue and critical thought. Even if we must muddle through at times, I am sure all of us here possess the skills, intellect and motivation necessary to craft a meaningful, successful career path, one that fits our goals and individual circumstances. Your advice has its place, but I do not believe your audience is well served by your choice of forum. If my reading of this thread is correct, your caution and warnings were not invited. If there isn't already another more appropriate thread topic to which you could post your advisory, consider starting a new one. (Anyone else on this thread concur?)

Edited by La_Di_Da

@NotSure - Your post is off topic. We are here to share news of our acceptances and rejections. I realize someone else interjected with a warning about CUNY, but I believe we should do our best to keep to the topic at hand. I believe most--if not all--of us who have posted to this thread have spent sufficient time acquainting ourselves with our chosen discipline and its associative body of literature and/or methodologies. Having survived the application process, and having made a good-faith investment in our futures, I am sure that we each have spent a good many hours researching both our top-choice  programs as well as our safety, backup programs, including the faculty at each, their body of work, etc. Probability would suggest that some of us here already have research experience in the field, and perahps even an MA or two. I doubt many of us are pursuing this path for glory, the outstanding pay, stable track to tenure, or academic celebrity. Adjunct generation or not, I believe the vast majority of the 2013 applicant pool is inspired by intellectual engagement, following a particular line of inquiry, theoretical dialogue and critical thought. Even if we must muddle through at times, I am sure all of us here possess the skills, intellect and motivation necessary to craft a meaningful, successful career path, one that fits our goals and individual circumstances. Your advice has its place, but I do not believe your audience is well served by your choice of forum. If my reading of this thread is correct, your caution and warnings were not invited. If there isn't already another more appropriate thread topic to which you could post your advisory, consider starting a new one. (Anyone else on this thread concur?)

Edited by ohgoodness

I know it probably does not make sense to ask, but does anyone know if Columbia already sent out all the offers?

4 seems like a rather small number.

Also, I personally did not find NotSure's post so terribly out of place. Probably a new thread would have been more appropriate, but it's not a big deal :-)

Also, regarding CUNY, the new "Five-Year Graduate Center Fellowships" look like a step in the right direction. And 200 fellowships across the graduate center doesn't make them THAT competitive either. I mean, 25'000 a year is basically what Columbia is offering, and more than most private universities (granted, NY is still very expensive, and you would be still teaching one course per semester).

Edited by RandomDood

I was going to add an addendim to my note above stating that if no one else felt similarly, then I gladly rescind my suggestion. I just found the post a little out of keeping with the topic of this thread, but not totally outside the realm of reasonableness. My position is equivocal. In any case, feel free to disregard my previous comment. Ultimately, seems to me that NotSure is forewarning prospective grad students to know thyself. Always good advice. If you do, I believe you are good to go. Trust yourself and don't worry too much about the external, economic variables that are not within your control.  Life can be both long and short.  Steady as she goes. :)

I just checked the application system of Northwestern and surprisingly found that I have been admitted. So it is true that they don't send out emails at all......

Anyone knows about their funding policy? Does the following paragraph mean that we have to apply for funding separately? 

"It is important to note that by accepting our offer of admission, you are also accepting any financial award offered to you by the University. Before providing your enrollment decision, please consult the "Awards" web page and the "Council of Graduate Schools Resolution" to familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions of financial awards."

UPDATE: I just found the information on the department website:

I will need financial aid. How does that work?
The Graduate School offers full tuition and a stipend to all students accepted to the PhD program for five years of study. Please see Graduate School Financial Aid or contact the Graduate School (847-491-5279) for the most current information.

Edited by lydialiu

I just checked the application system of Northwestern and surprisingly found that I have been admitted. So it is true that they don't send out emails at all......

Anyone knows about their funding policy? Does the following paragraph mean that we have to apply for funding separately? 

"It is important to note that by accepting our offer of admission, you are also accepting any financial award offered to you by the University. Before providing your enrollment decision, please consult the "Awards" web page and the "Council of Graduate Schools Resolution" to familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions of financial awards."

UPDATE: I just found the information on the department website:

I will need financial aid. How does that work?

The Graduate School offers full tuition and a stipend to all students accepted to the PhD program for five years of study. Please see Graduate School Financial Aid or contact the Graduate School (847-491-5279) for the most current information.

Somewhere on the FAQ page it notes that all admits receive full tuition and a base stipend of 22k plus change. If you apply for and receive outside funding, such as a fellowship, they will adjust--i.e., reduce--your base stipend accordingly. What remains unclear to me is whether or not I will have to pay out of pocket for NU student health insurance, which, according to another page on the site, runs approximately $1500 a year. That's extremely cheap for health insurance, but if the coverage is not comprehensive, and the co-pays/deductables low, I may have to buy a private policy as well, which could be prohibitive. Does anyone else know more about NU's student health insurance plans? I'm going to contact the Grad Admissions Dept. this week to find out.

Somewhere on the FAQ page it notes that all admits receive full tuition and a base stipend of 22k plus change. If you apply for and receive outside funding, such as a fellowship, they will adjust--i.e., reduce--your base stipend accordingly. What remains unclear to me is whether or not I will have to pay out of pocket for NU student health insurance, which, according to another page on the site, runs approximately $1500 a year. That's extremely cheap for health insurance, but if the coverage is not comprehensive, and the co-pays/deductables low, I may have to buy a private policy as well, which could be prohibitive. Does anyone else know more about NU's student health insurance plans? I'm going to contact the Grad Admissions Dept. this week to find out.

oh wow. The only other school i know of that offers that much is Vanderbilt. But no health insurance could be a problem.  Not that I even applied there or anything.

I was wondering if anyone has received a formal offer letter from Indiana Bloomington? Or if everything is still kind-of informal yet?

no idea, I think its still at the informal stage. Hopefully we get letters soon, I'm curious to see the offer

Simon Fraser just offered to match my highest current funding offer. Uh Oh! 

This is all going to get real confusing and difficult soon! It's an MA program, so that complicates things a bit. But I also feel like MA programs in Canada are a bit different since they separate the MA and PhD. Simon Fraser is a good school, and a good fit, but I'm not sure about the job placement of their PhD's or their PhD placement of their MA students. All questions I'll have to ask I guess. Still leaning heavily towards Oregon at this point, but I'll have to consider all offers fully once I receive them. 

This is all going to get real confusing and difficult soon! It's an MA program, so that complicates things a bit. But I also feel like MA programs in Canada are a bit different since they separate the MA and PhD. Simon Fraser is a good school, and a good fit, but I'm not sure about the job placement of their PhD's or their PhD placement of their MA students. All questions I'll have to ask I guess. Still leaning heavily towards Oregon at this point, but I'll have to consider all offers fully once I receive them. 

I can offer a little bit of advice from experience here.  I am currently finishing up an MA at a place that separates the MA and the PhD program.  The MA program is pretty well funded, you get substantive training in theory, stats, and methods, and you get research experience and if you're really on the ball maybe a publication and a conference presentation or 2.  So when it's time to apply to PhD programs you have a much stronger CV and probably a better established research agenda.  On top of that, you have somewhat of a safety net because you have a pretty strong chance of being accepted to the current schools PhD program.

I know I wouldn't have had a shot at any of the programs I applied to this season if I hadn't been here.  However, there are some downsides.  The biggest issue is that it will likely take you a bit longer to get a PhD, especially if you end up at a different school for your PhD.  You will likely have to take a few of the same courses over again, particularly methods, stats, and theory courses.  Additionally, you have to go through this whole application process again, which is pretty terrible both times around.

I thought SFU MA programs were only one year? I knew someone in IR there and that was the case for her. Might be another point worth considering - do you really want to be back in the same position applying for PhDs this time next year?

On the other hand, Vancouver is an amazing city that I would highly recommend to anyone!

Edited by iphi