2013 Acceptances/Rejections Thread

AaronM

Just sent email to UMass re:sociology and Afro American studies. I'll let y'all know what I hear back. Good luck to us all!

Good on ya for taking initiative! UMass is the only school I haven't heard from that will make me seriously reconsider my current frontrunner, so I'm a little itchy to know. I'm not optimistic since a bunch of acceptances seem to have gone out and I've heard nothing, but it doesn't hurt to check.

(Report it with any findings! :D)

I WAS ACCEPTED INTO UCSD!!!!!

Congrats!

On a completely unrelated topic, and I am sorry for linking this to your acceptances but c'est la vie, UCSD faculty page sure cements the idea that going to a top 10 school with the proper network and "backbone reputation" is important for one's future chances.   Feels like I could write the paper "Narrow searchlight - application processes at graduate and doctoral level in the 21st century" and only focus on perfect market and imperfect information-rationals.  Mills would have a field day.. 

and no - I ain't bitter.  I'm sweet and tender. 

During my visit to ND last week one of the prospective students told me she called USC earlier in the week and asked when notifications would be going out. They told her they were finalizing their decisions and would be letting everybody know sometime in the next couple of weeks. So we should be hopefully hearing from them soonish.

Just sent email to UMass re:sociology and Afro American studies. I'll let y'all know what I hear back. Good luck to us all!

"No, the admits have not all been done, Many departments are just starting making decisions.

It is your responsibility to continue to check your status on line with the ID # and pin that was sent to you via email

Your status will stay as applied until the department makes a decision. Once a formal decision has been made you will receive an email stating “ please check your status a decision has been made”. The decision will show on your status check page. You will also get a formal letter either way , if you have been accepted or denied."

"No, the admits have not all been done, Many departments are just starting making decisions.

It is your responsibility to continue to check your status on line with the ID # and pin that was sent to you via email

Your status will stay as applied until the department makes a decision. Once a formal decision has been made you will receive an email stating “ please check your status a decision has been made”. The decision will show on your status check page. You will also get a formal letter either way , if you have been accepted or denied."

Yeesh. Talk about a blow-off.  Sounds like that was from an overworked graduate school staff member - not a department person. "Many departments are just starting making decisions." Well, we know soc is ...

RE Yale: my "application status" on the online system has changed dates for the third time...

Has anyone else heard anything?

No! :( Not a peep. That's odd, though, I haven't actually been paying attention to the application status date - just the status itself! I'm hoping a decision comes along this week. We're a good week or so past the notification dates for previous years.

RE Yale: my "application status" on the online system has changed dates for the third time...

Has anyone else heard anything? 

Huh, that's strange. It's always said "submitted on 12/13/2012" and "completed on 12/17/2012" for me. No change.

I've started emailing some schools... rejection from Harvard Sociology/Social Policy and rejection from Hopkins.  Hopkins said they sent out their 6 acceptances last week.

Sad about Hopkins! Strange we didn't see a single accepted post on the results page.

Sad about Hopkins! Strange we didn't see a single accepted post on the results page.

With only 6, I guess the likelihood of any of them being gradcafe peeps decreases.  Still a bit strange!

Just popped an e-mail off to the UMass soc department inquiring whether all admissions decisions have been sent out. No idea how regularly that e-mail is monitored or whether they have anything to do with the admissions committee, but it can't hurt, right? I'll drop in if I hear anything.

Edited by Farragoshy

I called Michigan State if anyone else is still waiting on them. They said they're in the "second stage" where two faculty members must agree to mentor each of the potential acceptances before them.

No word on when acceptances/rejections will go out, but it sounds like relatively soon. 

Just popped an e-mail off to the UMass soc department inquiring whether all admissions decisions have been sent out. No idea how regularly that e-mail is monitored or whether they have anything to do with the admissions committee, but it can't hurt, right? I'll drop in if I hear anything.

I got waitlisted by UMass with a notification by email on Saturday.  Their email did mention that they were only able to accept 6.5% (rather than 15%) of their usual ~15%. While this means pretty much nothing without applicant figures, they cite "funding restrictions" as the reason they were not able to make offers to more applicants.  I'm actually from the area originally, and thought I was a lock for UMass.  Not a huge deal as I got into my first choice, just surprising.  Plus they took forever.

Anyway, Farragoshy (or anyone else who got accepted to Brandeis), I did my undergrad there, I'm still in contact with my favorite professor there, and would be more than willing to answer any questions about the school/area if I can.  Feel free to PM me; I love it there, but wanted a change for my grad.

I got waitlisted by UMass with a notification by email on Saturday.  Their email did mention that they were only able to accept 6.5% (rather than 15%) of their usual ~15%. While this means pretty much nothing without applicant figures, they cite "funding restrictions" as the reason they were not able to make offers to more applicants.  I'm actually from the area originally, and thought I was a lock for UMass.  Not a huge deal as I got into my first choice, just surprising.  Plus they took forever.

Anyway, Farragoshy (or anyone else who got accepted to Brandeis), I did my undergrad there, I'm still in contact with my favorite professor there, and would be more than willing to answer any questions about the school/area if I can.  Feel free to PM me; I love it there, but wanted a change for my grad.

Oof! So, if I pretend that UMass has regular cohorts between 8-12, which seems reasonable, then this year they're looking at something like 3-5, and we've seen 3 acceptances posted on this site already. So ... totally likely that what they've sent is all they're going to send.

Oh well! I'm also already into my first choice, but UMass was one of the ones that would make me think a bit. Thanks for the update.