would you stay at your undergrad school?

I am desperately hoping to do so, though I have to say that I'm not optimistic about my chances at this point. But I've been told that it's good to go somewhere else, to meet new faculty and build new relationships in the field. I've taken that advice to heart, even though I'm hoping to stay where I am, and in fact if I had gotten into my alma mater AND my #2 choice I would have had to think about it pretty carefully.

What do you guys think about continuing to grad school at your undergrad school? So far for me it is my best offer in terms of money and academics. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. But then I didn't like where I went for undergrad.

As an incoming master's degree student at my current university, I'm thrilled to be able to work with the professor I asked for, to continue living close to home, to taking the relationships I already have to new heights. I believe that for students that choose to stay at a university, conferences would be an excellent way to network. I personally plan to attend at least three in the upcoming year. I love being able to call UConn home!

It's beginning to look like I have no choice. I'm getting a lot of "due to the economy, we don't anticipate being able to provide funding for the incoming class" from schools. Without funding, I can't justify out of state tuition, when I can continue at my undergrad school for in-state rates. I do NOT want to stay here, but unless there's some drastic change in the next few weeks, I'll be here for another 2 years. I really agree that it is good to see different perspectives and work with different faculty. I also like the idea of branching out. But, at least in my case, it has to come down to the money.

My undergrad school doesn't have a department in my field. But supposing it did, I'd be tempted, as long as the department was decent and not filled with jerks. Unfortunately, no chance at in-state tuition at my alma mater, since it's a private school... so the main plus for me would be not having to move (I still live in the general area -- could commute from where I live now, and could easily move closer to campus).

I did my undergrad and masters at the same school, and in the same dept. It worked out great for me. I knew the setting, the professors, all the resources available on campus to me already, etc. So while my incoming peers were working out all those details, I was already charging forward with my thesis. Since a masters is only 2 years, it was nice to be able to move forward quickly! I am having a relatively stress-free final semester as a result. Of course, I would just say that is a benefit of staying, definitely not a major factor. I'm moving on for my PhD- but I LOVED my undergrad university/town so I'm really glad I extended it two more years!

The advice I've been given by faculty has been to move on elsewhere if there is a better fit. But if your current dept is really the best fit/offer you have then it's not a bad idea to stay there. I would be more concerned about doing all 3 degrees at the same university or having the MS/PHD done at the same place (but plenty of people out there have done that and been very successful) than I would about a BS/MS at the same place!

Yes, I like the school and the city, and I'd be going to a different campus so while I would still be connected with some of the same professors, I'd also get to work with new ones too.

I just received my first acceptance -to my alma matter- Brandeis. I couldn't be happier. I loved Brandeis. I still love Brandeis. It's not my top choice for grad school- (it was going to be my fourth choice out of 8 schools... but i hadn't finished applying to those last 4 schools, so now i won't bother.) If i end up there, I will be extremely happy. I'm not going in for the same department- I was an East Asian studies and French language and lit. major, and i was accepted for the brand new Global Studies MA. Brandeis is a fab school and i would be honored to attend again!

For the people and atmosphere only. I could definitely do without the cold or the crazy football Saturdays. Unfortunately the M.A. Ed social studies program required things I wasn't willing to do, like an American history focus when I have no intention of ever teaching American history (I want to do European or World history), or a minor in both Poli Sci and Geography. It's an excellent school and the best program in the state, but my interests just didn't fit.

For personal reasons, I wish I could, but I don't think it's the best for your career, if you can avoid it. You rarely see CV's of TT professors with all 3 degrees from the same school. Universities like to hire people with academic diversity, so you run the risk of only knowing your discipline from the one, same perspective. Along the same lines, for the long run, I've heard it's good to pick a grad school that's NOT in the same area that you want to live for the rest of your life (have your career).

I was just accepted for the Masters program where I also received my undergrad. However if I decide to pursue a PhD, I will look for a program elsewhere. I agree I think it is important to diversify your experience and and program.

Yes, but I 1) loved undergrad and 2) would be in a different department.

I've heard a lot of people say "just don't do it," but I don't think it's that simple. Probably the best reason to leave would be to broaden your network, but if you've found the best community/network already, there may not be a compelling reason to go anywhere else.

I am in the same boat and am in desperate need of quality advice! I have been accepted into the Ph.D. program at my undergrad institution. I feel that I do have several good reasons for remaining at the same institution such as the fact that it is ranked among the top 5 in the subfield I would be in, as well as being ranked among the top 10 in the field. I have also been offered 5 years of funding to study there. I also have been justifying this choice with the following reasoning:

I only transfered to this institution for my final 2 years of undergrad, so I didn't do ALL of my undergrad work there.

In addition, I really had an interdisciplinary education, taking classes in several different departments with many different professors and so do not feel like I have been solely grounded in one department. I have never met, let alone taken classes with, the advisor I would be working with during my Ph.D. program. Finally, the institution is bringing in new hires in the subfield I would be specializing in, so in essence, I would be working with an entire new group. However, I do not want to limit my opportunities or hurt my chances once I am ready to enter the job market. To me, these all sound like good reasons to stay but I am also afraid I am only telling myself what I want to hear. I will be getting a Ph.D. in History, and would appreciate any advice from those who are in this field or one that is related.

I'm staying. My dream program happens to be at my undergrad school. I visited my second choice school, fell in love with that one too, and may look into spending a quarter there as a visiting student--that way I'll be able to make some new connections. But I need to go to the best program for me, which is my undergrad school, hands down.

Also, grad09, I too transferred to my current school, and I too will be working with a new group of faculty. I think both those things help. And there is a lot of value to being somewhere where you already know the norms and can hit the ground running as soon as you start the program. I don't know what people think of this in history in particular, but I am in org behavior, and everyone (even at other schools) expects me to stay where I am.

It looks like I will have no other choice but pursue all my degrees at one school (phd in history). I am A) not accepted anywhere else :D and B) I got funded. I'll have to work extra hard to make outside connections and get different viewpoints and such. It will likely hurt me in the long run when hiring, but I'll have to deal.

I wouldn't, but my undergrad school is not a good place to do the sort of work I want to do. Even if it wasn't a terrible place for my research areas I don't think I would do it.

Aside from all of the worries about what other people think I also think that no matter how good the faculty are at a school you need to get challenged by new people, and unless a department is absolutely massive that won't happen. You need to find new professors who can ask you new questions and throw you new curveballs and push you in new and different ways. Eight to twelve years with the same folks (particularly if it's under the same supervisor) wouldn't push me in the ways I personally need to be pushed.

I wouldn't because while I had a great experience at my undergrad school, it really isn't suited for my grad school plans. But if it were suited, I at least personally wouldn't have an issue with the fact that it was my undergrad school. However it is worth noting that there are advantages to switching schools, particularly because in academia in many fields it is expected for one to do one's graduate work at a different institution than the undergrad school. Opportunity to meet new people and work with different faculty is also a plus with switching schools.