Lee Kuan Yew School (LKY School), National University of Singapore (NUS)

Guys, I have finished the MPP at LKY in 2017 and regarding the housing:

If you got the full scholarship, your housing is covered as well. That means that the 1k per month for a room at CG are included and the stipend is on top. 

That was during my time and unless they have changed that, you will have a comfortable life. I can't imagine they provide you with a stipend and let you pay CG on your own, since housing is a major cost. 

You can also check this link of the FAQ and under the financial aid and tuition fee section, point 3, it tells you that shared housing is included in the scholarship.

So again, if you get the scholarship, congrats, you are super safe.

Best

Thanks Namir for updating. However, during your times housing allowance was clearly written in your scholarship offer letter which is not the case this time. 

But did anyone check from the admission office? 

Edited by Ahmad-Babar
Updated

The university confirmed that it will not provide accomodation. The scholars have to pay for it out of the stipend i.e. 1350. 

Can someone offer few suggestions on how to live within this budget? Or one should reconsider and apply for some other uni/scholarship?

1 hour ago, ASB86 said:

The university confirmed that it will not provide accomodation. The scholars have to pay for it out of the stipend i.e. 1350. 

Can someone offer few suggestions on how to live within this budget? Or one should reconsider and apply for some other uni/scholarship?

You can live on 1350 but your life will be simple. For example

Rent hostel 650

Electricity/Soap/Household stuff 100

You are left with 600 per month, or 20 per day.

You wake up, eat breakfast at the canteen for $4, have lunch, say MacDonald's meal $8, and have dinner say fish and chips in school for $6. That is about $20 a day.

Sometimes you need to see a doctor ($50), go to a pub ($30), buy some nice clothes or stuff...those you have to draw on your savings.

Don't think so. I had written to the Admissions Committee on the likely release of results for MPA last week, after MPP offers were made. Have not got a reply yet. God only knows when they will start rolling out MPA decisions. 

20 hours ago, namir said:

Guys, I have finished the MPP at LKY in 2017 and regarding the housing:

If you got the full scholarship, your housing is covered as well. That means that the 1k per month for a room at CG are included and the stipend is on top. 

That was during my time and unless they have changed that, you will have a comfortable life. I can't imagine they provide you with a stipend and let you pay CG on your own, since housing is a major cost. 

You can also check this link of the FAQ and under the financial aid and tuition fee section, point 3, it tells you that shared housing is included in the scholarship.

So again, if you get the scholarship, congrats, you are super safe.

Best

Per your Experience in LKY, is it Possible for one to a part time Job in Singapore whiles doing the MPP

On 4/5/2019 at 4:57 PM, vapra007 said:

Even Iam waiting to hear on this. Not sure if they schedule the release like MPP first and MPA next. In such case we will only be hearing next week ?

LKY is not attending the calls from many days. Not sure if this is the experience for others as well

I wrote to then on March 31. They said they'll be rolling out in batches from April to June. But that's so weird . Especially if someone is waiting to decide between schools. Also, don't understand why MPA results are delayed or declared post MPP. 

5 minutes ago, gradaspirant said:

I wrote to then on March 31. They said they'll be rolling out in batches from April to June. But that's so weird . Especially if someone is waiting to decide between schools. Also, don't understand why MPA results are delayed or declared post MPP. 

They probably make offers to the top ranked applicants first. Then if these guys do not accept, it rolls down the list.
Seems like the first offers are already out.

I applied for the MPP this year too - interview taken on March the 8th - but haven't heard anything yet either...

When I asked them on the phone a while back (before I was offered an interview) they said that, accepted or not, we should know in April so I feel quite nervous about now potentially having to wait until June haha!

Does anyone know if the batches are rolled out on a weekly basis? 

5 hours ago, Ensobila said:

Per your Experience in LKY, is it Possible for one to a part time Job in Singapore whiles doing the MPP

Yes, but it is not going to be easy!

Generally, the first year is quite busy and I would not recommend to take job with serious commitments since you will face a lot of group work, deadlines etc and it can be very hectic. So a part time job might be difficult. That doesn't mean you can't take a research assistant job with any of the professors, but it will be still tough. 

Another factor is the electives you take. If you take some with deliverables every week and session, then you are more likely to be busy than electives with a normal workload. For instance, the international relations electives often come with a huge chunk of readings.

But the second year is a different topic. Here you have almost no more compulsory courses and only electives. So you can design your own schedule and workload. Personally, I had a quite fulfilling (timely and motivation wise) job in the second year. But since I didn't have a full scholarship but only grant (same as full scholarship without the stipend; but College Green was covered), I needed the income.

So at the end of the day I must say that I do not understand what smart guy at LKY decided to shrink the allowances for scholarship receivers to pay College Green from the stipend. That is a major cost factor since accommodation in  Singapore is so pricey. 

2 hours ago, namir said:

Yes, but it is not going to be easy!

Generally, the first year is quite busy and I would not recommend to take job with serious commitments since you will face a lot of group work, deadlines etc and it can be very hectic. So a part time job might be difficult. That doesn't mean you can't take a research assistant job with any of the professors, but it will be still tough. 

Another factor is the electives you take. If you take some with deliverables every week and session, then you are more likely to be busy than electives with a normal workload. For instance, the international relations electives often come with a huge chunk of readings.

But the second year is a different topic. Here you have almost no more compulsory courses and only electives. So you can design your own schedule and workload. Personally, I had a quite fulfilling (timely and motivation wise) job in the second year. But since I didn't have a full scholarship but only grant (same as full scholarship without the stipend; but College Green was covered), I needed the income.

So at the end of the day I must say that I do not understand what smart guy at LKY decided to shrink the allowances for scholarship receivers to pay College Green from the stipend. That is a major cost factor since accommodation in  Singapore is so pricey. 

Thank You

On 4/7/2019 at 12:08 AM, qqwertyy said:

Information on: Scholarship - Housing - Dual Degree and Exchange Program

1) Between LSE and LKY. As someone pointed it out, if you want to stay in Europe, LSE makes more sense. Further, if it is for work with multinational organizations like UN, WB etc, I would still recommend LSE. The International World Order is still very euro-centric and even in Asia, the kind of value that a LSE degree has, is better than a LKY one. Honestly, you have 6/8 courses (core courses) in 1st year which dont even provide you any Asia specific context so you will not be losing out on much by not coming here. But just in terms of better job prospects and name recall, I would recommend LSE. 

Thank you so much qqwertyy!  I really appreciate it.  This is kinda what I have been feeling, but for me the difference in price will come out to about $80,000 USD.  Is it worth it to go to LSE over Singapore?

3 hours ago, KJP said:

Thank you so much qqwertyy!  I really appreciate it.  This is kinda what I have been feeling, but for me the difference in price will come out to about $80,000 USD.  Is it worth it to go to LSE over Singapore?

If I were you, I would go to NUS.

Edited by chickychix

19 hours ago, chickychix said:

They probably make offers to the top ranked applicants first. Then if these guys do not accept, it rolls down the list.
Seems like the first offers are already out.

I am waiting for the MPA results too. Anyone else got any updates?

On 4/10/2019 at 12:28 PM, Hari100 said:

Given that MPP and MPA applicants who have received scholarships have been notified,

Does that mean even if one receives an admit for LKYSPP  - the scholarship is out of equation ? 

Thank you 

At this point, we can only make ill informed guesses. I dont think so- I think the scholarship applications will continue to the next time. whenever that is

Hi! 

I got an admit for a dual degree program at Sciences Po (Masters in European Affairs) and LKY School of Public Policy (MPP) (without any scholarship). I have also received an admit from Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy (around 53% scholarship). My short term goal is to work in an international organization - as a young professional. It would be great if an alum of any of these institutes could help me make an informed decision. Currently, I'm tilted for the Fletcher School (Masters of International Business Program).