Lee Kuan Yew School (LKY School), National University of Singapore (NUS)

There is also the possibility that the admissions procedure is extremely complicated for the team, especially since ~80% of the cohort is from around the world. Maybe because things are so uncertain now, international applicants might not want to commit to an overseas university over a home-based university. Just a thought about how complex covid may have made things.

They told me via mail earlier this month that, the admissions committee will send out results between now and end of May. Interesting to note that, European unis are working out admissions as per schedule despite the fact that Europe is among hardest hit continents.

No need to worry, they'll send out results, I hope all of you have prepared backup options as well.

A couple of weeks back when I emailed them, they told me that the meeting for deliberation of offers was scheduled for last week, and offers should be out this week. That said, perhaps they might've been held up in the end as well with all the complexity with COVID-19.

1 hour ago, chewbakkwa said:

I've just received an offer today!!!!!!!!!!! Hope everyone here gets favourable replies too.

If financial aid wasn't mentioned, that means none was offered, right?

Congratulations @chewbakkwa!!! Did you receive it via email or thru that admissions/applications portal?

Edited by cee123
Added

I‘ve also received the offer :)
No mention of financial award though. 
Do they send the fin award in a separate letter or it should’ve been mentioned in the offer of admission ?

All the best to all waiting out ??

I received the offer of admission too, late this afternoon!

no mention of financial award in the letter of offer either, am wondering what this means too. Might have to seriously reconsidering accepting if no award is given...

Nevertheless, all the best to those still awaiting the results! 

Edited by kaedubs

1 hour ago, MJ2020 said:

I‘ve also received the offer :)
No mention of financial award though. 
Do they send the fin award in a separate letter or it should’ve been mentioned in the offer of admission ?

All the best to all waiting out ??

May I know when were you interviewed?? 

3 hours ago, chewbakkwa said:

I've just received an offer today!!!!!!!!!!! Hope everyone here gets favourable replies too.

If financial aid wasn't mentioned, that means none was offered, right?

Hi! May I know when were you interviewed?

12 hours ago, kaedubs said:

I received the offer of admission too, late this afternoon!

no mention of financial award in the letter of offer either, am wondering what this means too. Might have to seriously reconsidering accepting if no award is given...

Nevertheless, all the best to those still awaiting the results! 

I'm stressing out a little bit regarding the lack of funding because of certain financial commitments I have coming up. Here're our options if we haven't been given funding:

1) Reply to the admissions offer via email and explain that you would not be able to commit full-time to studying without funding. We'd basically be 2nd in line to receive funding, so we have to hope those that were offered scholarships reject them.

2) Defer our admission to the next intake (can be done if option 1 fails too).

Hope this helps everyone. Please do call/email the admissions team to see how they can help you. I would love to start this year, but I would consider deferring to next year as I would be in a better financial situation then.

edit: tagging @ohdannyboy

Edited by chewbakkwa
tagging ohdannyboy

4 minutes ago, chewbakkwa said:

I'm stressing out a little bit regarding the lack of funding because of certain financial commitments I have coming up. Here're our options if we haven't been given funding:

1) Reply to the admissions offer via email and explain that you would not be able to commit full-time to studying without funding. We'd basically be 2nd in line to receive funding, so we have to hope those that were offered scholarships reject them.

2) Defer our admission to the next intake (can be done if option 1 fails too).

Hope this helps everyone. Please do call/email the admissions team to see how they can help you. I would love to start this year, but I would consider deferring to next year as I would be in a better financial situation then.

edit: tagging @ohdannyboy

Me too, thanks for the advice! Would you consider taking up a loan to finance part of the fees? I'd love to start this year too, especially given the uncertain Covid-19 situation because things in the next 12 months will be up in the air. Wonder what the success rate is for option 1...

1 hour ago, kaedubs said:

Me too, thanks for the advice! Would you consider taking up a loan to finance part of the fees? I'd love to start this year too, especially given the uncertain Covid-19 situation because things in the next 12 months will be up in the air. Wonder what the success rate is for option 1...

Unfortunately, a loan might not be a viable solution for me because of the nature of my financial commitment coming up.  Essentially, I need some income during the duration of my studies. However, I would be in a better situation in August next year. 

1 hour ago, cee123 said:

can't help but wonder - maybe they've lessened granting scholarships for this year's round due to the pandemic. you know - redirecting budgets supposedly for scholarships to covid response.

Possible - and not very good news for all of us! Strangely too, the fees for Singapore citizens & PRs have increased by ~S$5,000 (based on the info from their website and the fees quoted in the admissions email), while that for international students decreased by ~S$2,000. Makes the lack of financial aid all the more painful to finance the full cost of the programme.

1 hour ago, chewbakkwa said:

Unfortunately, a loan might not be a viable solution for me because of the nature of my financial commitment coming up.  Essentially, I need some income during the duration of my studies. However, I would be in a better situation in August next year. 

Hope you manage to make the best decision for you in the end! I'm still mulling over this too, the lack of financial aid makes it very difficult to accept the offer, now and even if it is deferred. 

11 minutes ago, kaedubs said:

Possible - and not very good news for all of us! Strangely too, the fees for Singapore citizens & PRs have increased by ~S$5,000 (based on the info from their website and the fees quoted in the admissions email), while that for international students decreased by ~S$2,000. Makes the lack of financial aid all the more painful to finance the full cost of the programme.

right? I wonder how they'll manage this since supposedly 80% of their cohort  are international students and truth is, not everyone can afford. which, in a way, could affect the "diversity" that its curriculum boasts.

it'll be interesting to see how this will turn out. covid has definitely made things very complicated. yikes.

5 minutes ago, cee123 said:

right? I wonder how they'll manage this since supposedly 80% of their cohort  are international students and truth is, not everyone can afford. which, in a way, could affect the "diversity" that its curriculum boasts.

it'll be interesting to see how this will turn out. covid has definitely made things very complicated. yikes.

You're right. Am thinking if the S$5000 increase for local students is meant to make up for the decreased fees for international students? I'm curious to know how many local students actually got offered financial aid... that increase makes a heck lot of difference. A rather pretty sum.

All the best @cee123! I hope you hear from them soon!

Edited by kaedubs

On 4/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, kaedubs said:

Hope you manage to make the best decision for you in the end! I'm still mulling over this too, the lack of financial aid makes it very difficult to accept the offer, now and even if it is deferred. 

Yeah, I've officially deferred my enrolment to 2021. I hope you receive a scholarship+stipend this year but if you do defer too, you could spend the time admission till next year applying for external scholarships.