Lee Kuan Yew School (LKY School), National University of Singapore (NUS)

I got the offer of MPA with tution fee waiver. Didn't get the stipend though. In 2017, I had received full scholarship for MPP unfortunately couldn't proceed. What happens from here? Which one is better MPP or MPA? 

Edited by Daniyal1986

On 4/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, chewbakkwa said:

Unfortunately, a loan might not be a viable solution for me because of the nature of my financial commitment coming up.  Essentially, I need some income during the duration of my studies. However, I would be in a better situation in August next year. 

HI, 

Thanks for your Support. i too got my MPA admission deferred tpo next year....and  today got a email from LKY offering 10k SG$ grant over the international fees.... still my financial calculation is not matching...... and will stick to deferment.....will try for external scholarships....i am from India ....need some help in finding links for external scholarships....

Thanks in Advance..

congrats to everyone who got the offer! 

they've probably had to resort to slashing the stipend or offering discounts instead (because of the pandemic-induced .budget cuts maybe? idk). I'm thinking - they still want to attract international students - but they are aware that these students usually can't afford to pay in full. 

what a difficult decision it must have been.  oh well

Edited by cee123

16 hours ago, chinmayqaz said:

HI, 

Thanks for your Support. i too got my MPA admission deferred tpo next year....and  today got a email from LKY offering 10k SG$ grant over the international fees.... still my financial calculation is not matching...... and will stick to deferment.....will try for external scholarships....i am from India ....need some help in finding links for external scholarships....

Thanks in Advance..

Curious.. you deferred first then they emailed you about the grant? How many days before they replied?

Hi! 

I received an offer and full scholarship (tuition fee waiver and stipend) for MPP yesterday. Super happy, it's been a long journey for me! If anyone else here plans to join the MPP for AY 2020/2022, I will be glad to hear from you in direct messages :)

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting, and to those looking at other opportunities! 

9 hours ago, OVi_ said:

Hi! 

I received an offer and full scholarship (tuition fee waiver and stipend) for MPP yesterday. Super happy, it's been a long journey for me! If anyone else here plans to join the MPP for AY 2020/2022, I will be glad to hear from you in direct messages :)

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting, and to those looking at other opportunities! 

Hi, Congrats  to you . I just wanted to ask....what is the value of stipend ? 

17 hours ago, Jamy said:

Were you interviewed???? And did they give you any specific reason for rejecting your application?

I was interviewed on 14 Feb and rejected on 15 April. No specific reason, just said "Due to keen competition for the limited number of places in the school".?

17 hours ago, Jamy said:

Enough of waiting for LKYSPP!! They are taking excess of time, as it surprises me their poor management skills. Anyways, I am on a full-ride with University of Oxford, and it has been accepted with a full-scholarship by Clarendon.. Good bye LKYSPP (NUS) and Good luck to all those who are still waiting for results. 

congrats on the oxford offer though. i think that's a good choice too!

6 hours ago, chinmayqaz said:

on 14th I got revise offer

i got an offer but no scholarship too. if i'd be given a tuition fee waiver, i think i would reconsider. 

12 minutes ago, cee123 said:

congrats on the oxford offer though. i think that's a good choice too!

i got an offer but no scholarship too. if i'd be given a tuition fee waiver, i think i would reconsider. 

I tried appealing to the school for any sort of waiver or grant, but was rejected - "However, we do not have the resources to award as many scholarships as we would like to."

I accepted the offer at first, but am now reconsidering due to the lack of funding from the school.

Congrats on the offer though! Will you be accepting it?

Edited by kaedubs

36 minutes ago, kaedubs said:

I tried appealing to the school for any sort of waiver or grant, but was rejected - "However, we do not have the resources to award as many scholarships as we would like to."

I accepted the offer at first, but am now reconsidering due to the lack of funding from the school.

Congrats on the offer though! Will you be accepting it?

i really want to start this year and im not getting any younger lol but i've already asked if i could defer.  i don't even know if i could procure enough funds in 1 year if they accept my request for deferral.

i'm also checking about that prodigy financing, but i can't imagine repaying for 10/15 years especially since i have other financial obligations. :(   

11 minutes ago, cee123 said:

i really want to start this year and im not getting any younger lol but i've already asked if i could defer.  i don't even know if i could procure enough funds in 1 year if they accept my request for deferral.

i'm also checking about that prodigy financing, but i can't imagine repaying for 10/15 years especially since i have other financial obligations. :(   

My considerations exactly too. Even within 1 year, I'm not sure that my financial obligations may change much, especially with Covid. I'm still thinking hard about this.

are you singaporean? Prodigy finance is only available for international students, otherwise you could check out MOE's Tuition Fee Loan scheme. But same, I can't imagine having to pay off debt for the next number of years, and with interest to boot :(

2 hours ago, kaedubs said:

My considerations exactly too. Even within 1 year, I'm not sure that my financial obligations may change much, especially with Covid. I'm still thinking hard about this.

are you singaporean? Prodigy finance is only available for international students, otherwise you could check out MOE's Tuition Fee Loan scheme. But same, I can't imagine having to pay off debt for the next number of years, and with interest to boot :(

Not from SG.. so on top of the tuition fee, i have also to consider the cost of living worth 2 years.

i don't think getting a part-time job while being there is easy and enough. just the thought of being buried in student loan debt scares me so much. i've heard enough horror stories about it ? if i had a high-paying job offer waiting for me after finishing it, then maybe, again, i would reconsider. but the reality is - no. 

I really hope you're able to come up with the best decision on this :) 

Hmm yeah, and costs of living in Singapore aren't exactly Low too. Where are you from? :)

And yes, my concerns are yours too! I live here, but I don't fancy having to pay off debt for years, especially with other life commitments coming up in the next few years. With no guarantee of a high-paying job - or even a job at all - after graduation, it's too huge a risk to take. The only thing really, that's stopping me from going ahead is the cost. There are benefits to this degree yes, but the risks and costs are too high.

I'm waiting on a reply from my company at this point, as I'm currently already on unpaid leave. Depending on the outlook for return to the company then, I'll be able to make a better choice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 2:07 PM, kaedubs said:

Hmm yeah, and costs of living in Singapore aren't exactly Low too. Where are you from? :)

And yes, my concerns are yours too! I live here, but I don't fancy having to pay off debt for years, especially with other life commitments coming up in the next few years. With no guarantee of a high-paying job - or even a job at all - after graduation, it's too huge a risk to take. The only thing really, that's stopping me from going ahead is the cost. There are benefits to this degree yes, but the risks and costs are too high.

I'm waiting on a reply from my company at this point, as I'm currently already on unpaid leave. Depending on the outlook for return to the company then, I'll be able to make a better choice.

Hey! 

How much time did they give you to accept the offer? I am just trying to calculate that when would the offers to the next batch be sent.

Thanks!