Guest ucla

Los Angeles, CA

1 hour ago, lordtiandao said:

It depends on how much one is planning on driving in LA and to where. 

This qualifier gets in the way of your point that everyone in Los Angeles needs a car, a generalization that was overly broad.

https://exchange.aaa.com/automotive/driving-costs/#.W4RGv-hKi70

30 minutes ago, Sigaba said:

This qualifier gets in the way of your point that everyone in Los Angeles needs a car, a generalization that was overly broad.

https://exchange.aaa.com/automotive/driving-costs/#.W4RGv-hKi70

Fair enough. I’ve modified my assertion now. I would recommend people get a car at some point of their stay in LA, but it’s not absolutely necessary. It very much depends on the individual situation.

Edited by lordtiandao

On 8/26/2018 at 6:14 PM, lordtiandao said:

@Stella_***

Try using Meetup to find groups you are interested in. That's probably one of the easier ways to meet new people. You can also try to take or audit classes in other LA-area schools and meet people from there. I'm over at UCLA doing Chinese history so you're always welcome to hang out here.

Thank you for the advice! It's so cool you're doing Chinese history! My research focus is on comparative modernisms in Germany and China :)  I was planning on meeting with a few professors over at UCLA so I'd love to hang out!

Looking to move to Los Angeles in early August but have no clue where to look! Anybody have any suggestions? I'm totally fine with roommates and don't really have many requirements except that my bedroom door has a lock on it.

6 hours ago, FutureEdPHD said:

Looking to move to Los Angeles in early August but have no clue where to look! Anybody have any suggestions? I'm totally fine with roommates and don't really have many requirements except that my bedroom door has a lock on it.

One main factor to consider: will you have a car?

LA is massive, are you looking at places near USC? If you live in say Venice, it will be a pretty long commute to USC, no matter what form of transportation you use. Where do you need to be close to? 

14 hours ago, trollsloot said:

One main factor to consider: will you have a car?

LA is massive, are you looking at places near USC? If you live in say Venice, it will be a pretty long commute to USC, no matter what form of transportation you use. Where do you need to be close to? 

Yes I'm bringing my car because I figured that I would need it. I'm looking to be close-ish to USC but also open to other areas depending on how far. It looks like I'll have class Monday-Thursday and I'm also working on campus so I'll need to be near there most of the time. 

13 hours ago, FutureEdPHD said:

Yes I'm bringing my car because I figured that I would need it. I'm looking to be close-ish to USC but also open to other areas depending on how far. It looks like I'll have class Monday-Thursday and I'm also working on campus so I'll need to be near there most of the time. 

USC has graduate housing, look into that. As for decent areas around USC look at Echo Park, West Adams, Silverlake, maybe Koreatown and Culver City. It also really depends on how much you can afford to pay a month/how long of a commute you can handle.