How are you managing the stress?

Dark-Helmed

Hello to everyone still waiting,

As we get closer and closer to April 15th, the pressure and anxiety seems to be increasing for many of us. I thought I'd start a thread where we can share our strategies for managing stress and trying to carve out some measure of focus.

Personally, I've been trying to stick religiously to my gym schedule. During the workday, I've mostly shifted my background music from rock over to romantic ballet music and have been trying to add in  a few more sets of yoga podcasts into the week. I'm also going to start reengaging with the Pomodoro Technique to try and break up the constant temptation to check email -> phone -> grad cafe. But it is a hard balancing act, and one that I've been increasingly failing at this week.

How are the rest of you staying sane?

Exercise for me as well! I've become hooked on ballet-style barre workout classes. They are so fun, challenging and take my mind off of work and app stress. And I'm getting closer and closer to my goal of Michelle Obama arms! Yay biceps!

Managing?  What's that?

As I've waited longer and longer to hear anything about funding ("Oh, you'll hear by March 22nd!"  "Sorry, we meant April 1st!"  Still heard nothing), I've mostly been eating too much, sleeping badly, and thinking about punching people who ask, "Have you heard anything yet?" in the head.

On the positive side, I've been practicing my bellydancing a lot more, because concentrating on the choreography drives grad school stuff right out of my head and jingly coin belts, like ice cream, make every problem a bit more manageable.  I've also been trying to knit more to de-stress, but I don't have much time.

I've actually been less stressed as we get closer to April 15... I've been waitlisted at my top school since February, and they told me the students have to decide on the spot by April 15. So the closer we get, the higher the chances are that I'll finally hear my final decision.

I've actually been less stressed as we get closer to April 15... I've been waitlisted at my top school since February, and they told me the students have to decide on the spot by April 15. So the closer we get, the higher the chances are that I'll finally hear my final decision.

I'm envious, Ruby.  As we get closer to April 15th, I'm getting more stressed for exactly the same reason- more likely that I'll hear the final decision (and that it won't be good).

Bailed on practice tonight to watch {escapist action movie} and drink wine. Definitely good for my mental health!

I'm with you on that (my decision is due by the 15th). I'm going to send emails to follow up with everyone today, and I plan on making a decision on Wednesday at the latest. Then, there shall be peace, and my computer and phone will prolly think I broke up with them. ;)

Edited by sansao

I'm so jealous of people with a hard and fast deadline like that. I applied to exactly one school, this is my second year applying and the second year only applying to one school. Last year I had my rejection by March 16th. This year I just got an email last week asking for confirmation that I was still interested and what my inclinations were. That seemed like a good sign but, that was almost a full week ago, and I replied confirming my interest, got a reply confirmation from the admin, and haven't heard a thing since. 

On the website it says they will continue until they have a full class of twelve. (They only accept 12 people a year) So everyone else will obviously have to make their decisions first. . I know I should just be thankful that I heard something but I was kind of expecting to just get rejected again. Obviously I got farther through the process than I did last year but seriously...I don't know how much more waiting and wishing and stressing my poor brain can take.

I'm pretending to stress about a future wedding that isn't even in the works just so I don't have to stress about applications...oh boy 

Ha: way to chose the nuclear option

Edited by anxious_one

I'm pretending to stress about a future wedding that isn't even in the works just so I don't have to stress about applications...oh boy 

Yeah... I'm the Maid of Honor for my friend, so I am stressing about a future wedding that is in the works. At least you get to stop planning when you get bored with it.  :P

I've entered the "I need something to help me sleep" stage.

These notices that I keep on getting about my student loans going into repayment is not helping. 

I'm starting to wish I'd begun taking periodic mental tests as soon as I'd submitted my applications. It would be really interesting to have records on the toll that the past four months has taken and how quickly I recover after April 15th (come good news or bad).

A very small part of me is hoping that I don't hear back until I find some benchmarks to assess.

I don't think I can take this anymore. I can't seem to leave gradcafe/my email/ my computer/any electronic device and the minute I do I instantly think "I need to go check to see if anything has changed."  I don't know what I am going to do once I don't have to keep checking my email... I am psychologically damaged.