Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

Leesies, I am also going to the open house at Michigan. What's your field?

Hi Robert! Awesome, see you there! Basically some semantics/pragmatics, SLA and language processing :) What about you?

Edited by leesies

Hi Robert! Nice to see you here! Now we have three lab phonologists, all attended to the summer Institute!.. How amazing!

Hi, longforit! I am so sorry I haven't recognized you!

Give me some tips through the message!

Yeah, we should make a list of future collaborators!

That's great! My interviewer mentioned that there was a handful of people with similar interests that they were considering. I'd love to see their department continue to grow in that direction (well, mostly if I get accepted and decide to attend, that is!). Go lab phon!

ETA: Now I wait for "mysterious Palo Alto phone number" to call me back (hopefully). Eek.

My interviewers were concerned about my experience in the theoretical side. They said some phonetics students had problems taking these courses in the past. But I am pretty interested in the works of the two interviewers I talked to. I even got some new ideas after talking to them.

Are you going to Stanford in March too? I guess we'll meet there!

Hi Robert! Awesome, see you there! Basically some semantics/pragmatics, SLA and language processing :) What about you?

Basically phonetics, sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics. I am pretty nervous about the open house, I've never done anything like that. And I will have 12 hours of jet lag... :wacko:

Edited by Robertpt

My interviewers were concerned about my experience in the theoretical side. They said some phonetics students had problems taking these courses in the past. But I am pretty interested in the works of the two interviewers I talked to. I even got some new ideas after talking to them.

Are you going to Stanford in March too? I guess we'll meet there!

Yep, that's the same thing I was told! That's great--and I agree about their research being very exciting.

Yes, we will definitely meet at Stanford now! I'm pretty excited--now that's it's official I have my invitation (just had to answer my phone this time). I look forward to meeting you and the others attending! :)

Congrats to you guys going to Stanford!!! :)  Sadly I didn't get an invitation... but it's alright. Good luck!!!

Me neither, don't worry! We've still got a lot of horses in the race!

According to the search results, rejections will come around early-mid Feb and acceptances mid-Feb-March. But there's a lot of variation here because some rejections don't come till way in March and the same for acceptance. I guess UMich is gonna send em when it wants to send em :P

You know. I don't get these grad schools. How is a person being compared with 99 other people to get into a top 10?

GRE and TOEFL is mostly cut-offs and boosts. LOR, SOP, and Sample are gold. But even then: a LOR will love you otherwise they wouldn't be writing you anyway, whatever goals you truly have will be in your SOP and you wouldn't be writing an SOP for a grad school application unless you got to tweak your SOP to fit into the faculty research interests, and heck a good analytical paper is a good analytical paper :P

Edited by hoviariel

Hi everyone!

Two quick questions:

(1) Has anyone here been invited to the Open House event at Maryland? I am not attending (traveling from Russia is not an option for me at the moment, and the dept can cover my expenses only in part), but it would be nice to get some first hand information on how it went afterwards.

(2) Has anyone been contacted by University of Chicago for an interview? I didn't even know they did interviews. 

Hi everyone!

Two quick questions:

(1) Has anyone here been invited to the Open House event at Maryland? I am not attending (traveling from Russia is not an option for me at the moment, and the dept can cover my expenses only in part), but it would be nice to get some first hand information on how it went afterwards.

(2) Has anyone been contacted by University of Chicago for an interview? I didn't even know they did interviews. 

Hi! I'm going to the open house in Maryland, I'd be glad to send you any info. :)

I wasn't contacted by Chicago, but on the search results shows that last year someone was accepted after an interview, so it's a good sign! 

Hi! I'm going to the open house in Maryland, I'd be glad to send you any info. :)

I wasn't contacted by Chicago, but on the search results shows that last year someone was accepted after an interview, so it's a good sign! 

Oh great, thanks a lot!

P.S. Nice profile pic, btw. I've always loved de Saussure's moustache =)

Hi, guys, I was just thinking... Has anybody applied to UPenn? It seems that a lot of you work in phonology, and I'm quite puzzled about nobody wanting to work with Dr. Embick! Just that, a thought that came through my mind...

Best for all!

Hi there,

does anyone know whether you can defer phd positions for more than 1 year (let's say three)?
I just received an email that i was admitted to my top priority program, but i had written that off completely because i thought my proposal was not interesting enough and my gre was too mediocre for the school. so while waiting for the replies from the US I accepted a 3-year phd position in switzerland which I am about to start on Monday. so, I'd be grateful for ANY advice and recommendations! Thank you!!!

Someone from Harvard just called to change the time of my interview. I somehow ended up asking if she could tell me how many other people will be interviewed, and she said "of course not". Now I feel terrible for asking, but was my question really that bad? I just want to understand if they are interviewing all the candidates that they are considering admitting or if there's something wrong with only my application.