Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

First congratulations! Second, I'm in exactly the same situation, friend. I think I'll respond to the email with the same inquiry.

Congrats to you, too. I'm glad it isn't only me! I was really hoping one acceptance would clear up things, but it just turned them more weird/mixed up. I'm still thinking of how to phrase any email reply, though!

Congrats to you, too. I'm glad it isn't only me! I was really hoping one acceptance would clear up things, but it just turned them more weird/mixed up. I'm still thinking of how to phrase any email reply, though!

You sound like in better shape than I am, in fact. I have no external funding whatsoever. However, I have a feeling that this might not be a problem for either of us (hopefully!). For your reference, here's something that I found on Berkeley's political science website (http://polisci.berkeley.edu/graduate-program/funding):

United States citizens and Permanent Residents are required to achieve California residency by the end of their first year in California to receive continued fee support. Non-Resident Tuition (NRT) will be paid through the third year by the department on behalf of international students who cannot achieve California residency. Upon doctoral candidacy (to be achieved by the end of year three), the university waives NRT for three years for international students.

If only UCSD had equally clearly spelled-out policy! However, we might be pleasantly surprised after we actually contact them about it and demonstrate our genuine difficulty in attending without getting full funding. After all, UCSD's website (http://polisci.ucsd.edu/grad/prospective-students/index.html) says:

UCSD encourages and welcomes applications from international students. UCSD is committed to excellence and diversity in our graduate program. The department will work with international students to assemble a financial aid program and plan of study that will help support your career goals. We strongly encourage you to apply for funding in your home country as well as from funding sources here at UCSD.

You sound like in better shape than I am, in fact. I have no external funding whatsoever. However, I have a feeling that this might not be a problem for either of us (hopefully!). For your reference, here's something that I found on Berkeley's political science website (http://polisci.berkeley.edu/graduate-program/funding):

United States citizens and Permanent Residents are required to achieve California residency by the end of their first year in California to receive continued fee support. Non-Resident Tuition (NRT) will be paid through the third year by the department on behalf of international students who cannot achieve California residency. Upon doctoral candidacy (to be achieved by the end of year three), the university waives NRT for three years for international students.

If only UCSD had equally clearly spelled-out policy! However, we might be pleasantly surprised after we actually contact them about it and demonstrate our genuine difficulty in attending without getting full funding. After all, UCSD's website (http://polisci.ucsd.edu/grad/prospective-students/index.html) says:

UCSD encourages and welcomes applications from international students. UCSD is committed to excellence and diversity in our graduate program. The department will work with international students to assemble a financial aid program and plan of study that will help support your career goals. We strongly encourage you to apply for funding in your home country as well as from funding sources here at UCSD.

Thanks. I believe, however, that the different grad school rules between UCSD and Berkeley have been mentioned before. Well, we'll see! Still waiting on other programs as well!

Thanks. I believe, however, that the different grad school rules between UCSD and Berkeley have been mentioned before. Well, we'll see! Still waiting on other programs as well!

Best of luck with your other programs. Keep us (me :) ) posted about UCSD's funding! I'll do the same once I get something.

Toni Congrats!! I am SOOOOO happy for you:) Looks like I can see you in March, if I make it to the States. 

However, I was too excited to read the email in details, and found out just now that we still have to pay tuition. Crap. But it is a great program. We can only count on their good will.

Toni Congrats!! I am SOOOOO happy for you:) Looks like I can see you in March, if I make it to the States. 

However, I was too excited to read the email in details, and found out just now that we still have to pay tuition. Crap. But it is a great program. We can only count on their good will.

Really? That sucks!

Really? That sucks!

Basically I received a highly similar email with that sent to other students. If not becoming a US resident in the second year, I still have to pay the tuition. The tuition must be really high (not fully covered by 21k scholarship). 

Thank you! I was starting to feel really down, though, to be honest, NYU probably isn't/wasn't the best fit for me, and my PoI turns out to be almost 70 there, which would explain why he might not want to take on new students. The email seems to indicate that we'd still have to pay tuition, though I will definitely be talking to the department about it. I've got most of tuition covered for years 1 and 2 with my outside fellowship, so the least they should be able to do is transfer my first-year award to year three. Does anyone know what happens with tuition once you get up to candidacy at UCSD?

I'm not sure I'll be at UCSD in March, unfortunately. Would be great to meet you, though! You've been doing great this cycle, congrats!

Basically I received a highly similar email with that sent to other students. If not becoming a US resident in the second year, I still have to pay the tuition. The tuition must be really high (not fully covered by 21k scholarship). 

I don't know whether it's realistic for me to think like this, but I'm hoping either that UCSD doesn't completely rule out funding non-resident international students beyond the second year (my letter does not mention anything about international students unable to become California residents and I think we all got the same letter), or that there is room for negotiation before we accept/reject its offer.

I don't know whether it's realistic for me to think like this, but I'm hoping either that UCSD doesn't completely rule out funding non-resident international students beyond the second year (my letter does not mention anything about international students unable to become California residents and I think we all got the same letter), or that there is room for negotiation before we accept/reject its offer.

check this.

http://ogs.ucsd.edu/academic-affairs/degree-information-procedures/non-resident-tution-for-doctoral-candidates.html

I would say we have one year to worry about (if we obtain candidacy at the end of 2nd year.)

check this.

http://ogs.ucsd.edu/academic-affairs/degree-information-procedures/non-resident-tution-for-doctoral-candidates.html

I would say we have one year to worry about (if we obtain candidacy at the end of 2nd year.)

That looks amazing! If that was the case, I would be pretty much covered, if I finish on time!

That looks amazing! If that was the case, I would be pretty much covered, if I finish on time!

And it looks like we can still count on funding in the sixth year, if we have promising performance in the political science department.

Edited by jazzrap

Thanks for this! The year we would have to worry about is the second year, correct?

I'm not quite sure, though! Non-resident tuition waiver still leaves 12000 in resident tuition and fees, in the worst case scenario (+health insurance). We really need answers! Sucks that they released decisions on Friday... ;-)

I'm not quite sure, though! Non-resident tuition waiver still leaves 12000 in resident tuition and fees, in the worst case scenario (+health insurance). We really need answers! Sucks that they released decisions on Friday... ;-)

Most resident tuition and fees can actually be covered by RA/TA (if above 25 percent i guess), which is standard UCSD policy. Don't worry too much about it pal.

But sure, we still need to contact the department for clarification on our offer.

Edited by steedyue

Most resident tuition and fees can actually be covered by RA/TA (if above 25 percent i guess), which is standard UCSD policy. Don't worry too much about it pal.

But sure, we still need to contact the department for clarification on our offer.

Thanks! I'm just a worrier, that is who I am.

BTW, I can finally let go not applying to Berkeley, since I much prefer UCSD! Saved me a couple bucks, I do not see any world, in which I would have gone to Bekeley over UCSD (funding provided).

Edited by IRToni

Congrats to all the UCSD admits! A special shout out to IRToni, who I know was getting nervous. ;) I've never been to SD before, but I've been told it has the most amazing weather.

HOLY MOLY YOU GUYS! So many congratulations! I hope you're very excited!

Edit: I'm not an immigration lawyer.

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

$0.02 on residency status: This is a requirement that is true of most (all?) public universities, because they're heavily financed by individual states. It seems that UCSD just brought it up sooner. Absolutely be in contact with them. I don't think you should have any trouble establishing residency on your student visas on a 5+ year Ph.D. program, for what it's worth (and even if you eventually intend to return to your home countries - or like every other Ph.D. live a transient academic life begging for TT jobs - 5+ years is a long time not to want to establish residency). Here are some specifics from UCSD: http://www.ucop.edu/general-counsel/_files/ed-affairs/10-things-grad.pdf

Doesn't work that way, unfortunately. F-1 and J-1 visa holders cannot claim residency status. See here:

http://www.sjsu.edu/gape/prospective_students/residency/

Doesn't work that way, unfortunately. F-1 and J-1 visa holders cannot claim residency status. See here:

http://www.sjsu.edu/gape/prospective_students/residency/

Oh, hm. I see that they have some exemptions, too (already covered above). "You can get your education here, but you cannot stay to use your education here!"

Hey guys! I have yet another "do you" question for you.

Do you answer to blast admission emails sent by DGSs? (not talking about accepting/declining the offer; only about acknowledging that you received the email). 

Or do you wait until the faculty emails you? Or do you email your POI first? (or what the heck is considered "right" in this situation?)

Edited by jeudepaume