Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Alright folks, new week. Ready for some more great news and heartbreaks? Congrats to the UMass people by the way.

Now, if only there were a karmic way to allocate the buttercreams to people (like you) who love them, and the nut-chocolates to people (like me) who are devoted to them. I expect I'd like buttercreams more if there hadn't been that traumatizing disappointment where I ate one expecting something radically different.

No, friend, this is wrong. You DON'T discriminate chocolates. This is RACIST! Shame on you! (except the ones that look like chocolates and being advertised as such, but are actually not chocolates - I am looking at you white chocolates)

No, friend, this is wrong. You DON'T discriminate chocolates. This is RACIST! Shame on you! (except the ones that look like chocolates and being advertised as such, but are actually not chocolates - I am looking at you white chocolates)

That's Chocommunism and I won't have anything to do with it!

Chococommunism?! No ma'am/sir, if you deliberately construe a cry for choquality and justice as chocommunism, what does that make you?

Chocolate McCarthy!

Nay! Merely an advocate for the utilitarian distribution of chocolate and the champion of chocovidualism! Call it ChoCarthyism! Call it whatever you like, but give me (my very specific preferred) chocolate or give me death!

Someone posted on the results page that Duke sent out a rejection letter saying "We received over 300 applications this year. Our admissions committee met several times to review and select the candidates to whom they wanted to offer admission and those candidates have been notified" 

Can anyone confirm this?

Someone posted on the results page that Duke sent out a rejection letter saying "We received over 300 applications this year. Our admissions committee met several times to review and select the candidates to whom they wanted to offer admission and those candidates have been notified" 

Can anyone confirm this?

No, though I believe someone said they got a similarly phrased bounce-back email from the Duke DGS on Friday.

I didn't see that. Could you provide the link of said comment please?

I found this on the result page:

Duke University Political Science, PhD (F14) Rejected via E-mail on 10 Feb 2014   10 Feb 2014
  • report spam
  • Form email: "We received over 300 applications this year. Our admissions committee met several times to review and select the candidates to whom they wanted to offer admission and those candidates have been notified. "

I found this on the result page:

Duke University Political Science, PhD (F14) Rejected via E-mail on 10 Feb 2014   10 Feb 2014
  • report spam
  • Form email: "We received over 300 applications this year. Our admissions committee met several times to review and select the candidates to whom they wanted to offer admission and those candidates have been notified. "

This was me; I emailed DGS and this is the response they sent to me. Sorry for the confusion!

Thus far, I only hear from schools as I'm going to/from my game theory class. Good news guys, I have game theory today.

Then I have a 50% chance of hearing from one of my schools today! (That's how it works, right? :P)

I claim a Cornell rejection too. I'm not sure how long Peter Katzenstein would have stuck around and since the department has otherwise been moving rapidly in the direction of mainstream US IR I guess I shouldn't be devastated. Still, an acceptance would be nice right about now... I re-congratulate all those who were accepted and envy the peace of mind that a single acceptance must bring.

Prompted by the Georgetown result: For programs like Georgetown and UT-Austin that use a different name than "Political Science" ("Government" in both cases), could applicants please include the phrase "Political Science" in their result entries? That would make searching and viewing easier. Thank you!