Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Same. I'm checking every 1/2 hour. Since most of my results over the past two weeks have come on tuesdays, I will be a raving lunatic tomorrow (the fact that I'll be in class all day will at least temper some of my crazy)

I'm at my computer at work. I always have both my emails (work + personal) open on a screen to my left. This is probably a bad thing for my blood pressure, and is definitely a bad thing for my productivity.

By the way IRTheoryNerd, I am also interested in IR Theory( structural realist mostly)..;)

Theorists in the house. ;)

I am a critical constructivist of the Nick Onuf and Ludwig Wittgenstein variety. I'm curious what, as a structural realist, you think of Patrick Thaddeus Jackson's categorization of Waltz as an Analyticist (in "Conduct of Inquiry in IR"). :P

I just got done with my game theory class. I'm anxiously refreshing *everything* for the next hour or so until my IPE class. You?

Oh, you know, frantically refreshing and digging out my PINs for every conceivable program to be heard from today... And two ND acceptances! (Congrats, whoever you are!)

ETA: Two ND acceptances on the board, at least! Not me, I am a nervous wreck.

Edited by cupofnimbus

Theorists in the house. ;)

I am a critical constructivist of the Nick Onuf and Ludwig Wittgenstein variety. I'm curious what, as a structural realist, you think of Patrick Thaddeus Jackson's categorization of Waltz as an Analyticist (in "Conduct of Inquiry in IR"). :P

I can just say that it's a too assertive classification to define Waltz:)

Oh, you know, frantically refreshing and digging out my PINs for every conceivable program to be heard from today... And two ND acceptances! (Congrats, whoever you are!)

ETA: Two ND acceptances on the board, at least! Not me, I am a nervous wreck.

Ha. I got to the point where I have them on a computerized post-it on my home screen. I have no ND acceptance, but my interview with them was incredibly awkward, so I'm not expecting anything really.

In a nutshell:

Them: "So, you've done a lot of methods work"

Me: "Well, yes, my undergraduate research advisor is one of the best methods guys around these days."

Them: "We don't do that here."

Ha. I got to the point where I have them on a computerized post-it on my home screen. I have no ND acceptance, but my interview with them was incredibly awkward, so I'm not expecting anything really.

In a nutshell:

Them: "So, you've done a lot of methods work"

Me: "Well, yes, my undergraduate research advisor is one of the best methods guys around these days."

Them: "We don't do that here."

I keep them in a Google spreadsheet for quick access, but I can't click fast enough to satisfy myself!

I've had job interviews like that, and it is maddening! I didn't hear from them for an interview, so I won't be surprised if there's a rejection waiting for me, but since it's high on my list, I will be a bit disappointed...

Dear amazing scholars of this forum,

Can we please agree that in all future result submissions we include the following details:

a ) whether an email notification is a "form"/"mass" email or a message from a poi 

b ) what your subfield is (this shouldn't identify you specifically so NSA conspirators relax)

These details will help your fellow gradcafe applicants with their anxieties. This week and next week we will all really appreciate this information. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by IR IR IR PhD

I keep them in a Google spreadsheet for quick access, but I can't click fast enough to satisfy myself!

I've had job interviews like that, and it is maddening! I didn't hear from them for an interview, so I won't be surprised if there's a rejection waiting for me, but since it's high on my list, I will be a bit disappointed...

I feel like the number of interviews they did were so few that it was more of those in my situation. Also, it was more like an interrogation than a selling interview like Vandy. I felt like they were trying to back me into a corner to here me say where I *really* wanted to go. They actually said the words, "You would be a really good fit at *Other University I Applied To*." 

But anyways, what I meant to say but forgot to include was I feel like you're in a better spot with them if you didn't get an interview. One of the grad students in my current program told me when she was deciding between schools, they called and told her, "We're really trying to up our recruitment now that our top choice went to Harvard." They just don't seem to handle these things in the most cordial fashion.

I feel like the number of interviews they did were so few that it was more of those in my situation. Also, it was more like an interrogation than a selling interview like Vandy. I felt like they were trying to back me into a corner to here me say where I *really* wanted to go. They actually said the words, "You would be a really good fit at *Other University I Applied To*." 

That's such a shame. I guess programs have different reasons to want to interview someone (trying to lure someone into their program vs. trying to figure out fit). WEIRD.

Well, shoot. Looks like that rush of acceptances I was expecting in my inbox at COB today didn't work out.

No data signal on Metro, either, so I'm going to be refreshing my email as soon as I get above ground again, and then under the table at a meeting tonight...

No data signal on Metro, either, so I'm going to be refreshing my email as soon as I get above ground again, and then under the table at a meeting tonight...

I only get a signal in the minute or so my train is hanging out at metro center. Do I frantically refresh my email to get an update every time I stop there, trying to beat the time it takes for the doors to open and close? Yup.