Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Those who had interviews at Vanderbilt. Do you know when decisions will be made? When do you expect to hear from the university?

I was told that the committee would meet two or three more times during my phone interview last Thursday, and decisions would be released "toward late February."

Who can claim the UVA post? Any details?

Hi! That is me. I got an "welcome" email from the DGS this morning. A formal admission letter was attached. My sub-field is comparative politics. 

For the first time, I've run through my positive quota. This is truly tragic, as I have a feeling there should be plenty of positive responses to go around today. 

Hang in there. Positives to come! And even if there is a sea of red boxes, this is a fun crowd to weep along with.

I'd like to propose a new topic as the Cornell rejections come in. For those already attending programs or know people who are attending or are currently on their 2nd+ cycle... what is the craziest "rejected there but accepted there" story!? (i.e. - rejected from West Topeka State, accepted Yale)

Congrats to all the UT admits (and all the others)!  Two questions for any of you: those who posted recently, was the email from earlier this morning?  Also, have you noticed a change on the website?

edit:

Looking forward to hear news from Upenn,Notre Dame, Vandy, Florida

I check my inbox 10 times in a day...

I'm pretty sure I checked my inbox 10 times during the time it took me to write this post.  Trying to read Nozick while keeping on eye on my computer is at least improving my peripheral vision skills.  
Edited by Chamberlain25

I'd like to propose a new topic as the Cornell rejections come in. For those already attending programs or know people who are attending or are currently on their 2nd+ cycle... what is the craziest "rejected there but accepted there" story!? (i.e. - rejected from West Topeka State, accepted Yale)

Best I know of isn't for me, but for a friend in another field who was accepted to the #1 and #2 programs in their particular discipline and sub-field (Columbia & Yale) and rejected from their safeties. All this has done is lend credibility to my conspiracy theory that programs talk to each other about applicants before making offers.*

*In all seriousness, I do think programs probably weigh the likelihood that Well-Qualified Candidate X will choose another, higher-ranked program over theirs, especially if candidates tell them where they submitted other apps. 

Not as extreme an example, but when applying for IR Master's programs I got into the IR and MPP programs - the latter which only admitted 4-6 people a year - at the University of Denver, while getting shut out at all of the State school programs I applied to.  

Is West Topeka State a school?

Nope, at least I don't think so. I just didn't want to choose a school that might potentially offend someone! 

P.S. - This cycle I've been accepted to two schools that rank better to one that I am presuming is a rejection (though not a huge difference in rank). I'm hoping these stories can convince me I still have a shot at T20! :)

Relative to how many times I check, 10 email checks a day is a sign of tremendous self control...

Losing my mind. :wacko:

Same. I'm checking every 1/2 hour. Since most of my results over the past two weeks have come on tuesdays, I will be a raving lunatic tomorrow (the fact that I'll be in class all day will at least temper some of my crazy)