Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

International admits of UCSD: I just received a revised acceptance letter containing more relevant funding information for folks like us. It says that the department awards me with three years of non-resident tuition apart from the stipend. I just followed up by asking whether this policy applies in addition to the funding package (http://ogs.ucsd.edu/academic-affairs/degree-information-procedures/non-resident-tution-for-doctoral-candidates.html). I will share any updates that I get.

Congrats to everyone who received acceptances today!

Still haven't heard from any of the schools I applied to, although I'm assuming I've been rejected from Rutgers.

I'm starting to feel like I was a little too ambitious shooting for PhD programs and maybe should have applied to at least a few Masters programs. Oh well.... too late now. :wacko: 

Congrats to everyone who received acceptances today!

Still haven't heard from any of the schools I applied to, although I'm assuming I've been rejected from Rutgers.

I'm starting to feel like I was a little too ambitious shooting for PhD programs and maybe should have applied to at least a few Masters programs. Oh well.... too late now. :wacko:

You shouldn't assume you got rejected from Rutgers! There were a few acceptances on the results page over a week before I got mine, and I saw a few more the past few days.  I think they are doing them in waves. I'm not sure if that helps, but I thought I'd try! :)

International admits of UCSD: I just received a revised acceptance letter containing more relevant funding information for folks like us. It says that the department awards me with three years of non-resident tuition apart from the stipend. I just followed up by asking whether this policy applies in addition to the funding package (http://ogs.ucsd.edu/academic-affairs/degree-information-procedures/non-resident-tution-for-doctoral-candidates.html). I will share any updates that I get.

Sounds good!

You shouldn't assume you got rejected from Rutgers! There were a few acceptances on the results page over a week before I got mine, and I saw a few more the past few days.  I think they are doing them in waves. I'm not sure if that helps, but I thought I'd try! :)

Thank you for letting me know that! That gives me at least a little bit of hope. When I log on to check my status on the Rutgers portal it just says "no decision," so maybe they just haven't reviewed my application yet....

Would you guys say UCSD is pretty much done with their decisions?

Seems like a number of people on this forum are neither accepted nor rejected...

I think there is an informal wait-list, but not sure how it works. There may also be a different timeline for the joint PhD with IRPS.

I think there is an informal wait-list, but not sure how it works. There may also be a different timeline for the joint PhD with IRPS.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm also part of the group awaiting to hear a decision of some kind. There's still hope. =)

Update: Yes, this policy does apply in addition to whatever funding package you get.

Sounds awesome:) Will I receive the same letter? Hopefully!

I'm pretty sure the policy of full deduction after achieving candidacy applies to every non-resident student, since it is on its website. However, in my case UCSD has given out information in chunks, perhaps unintentionally. First I got the letter I assume every admit got, whether domestic or international. I emailed back with the inquiry about funding, and got the revised letter awarding first three semesters' non-resident tuition. I emailed back, again, with the question of whether the said policy applies in addition to the funding package, and got an affirmative response.

In other words, I don't think you have much to worry about, assuming different individuals' funding packages don't differ wildly. However, either you'll get this information in your official admission letter, or they have to be specifically asked to tell you.

Michigan has to be this week, hopefully tomorrow. Columbia is a reasonable call, given the previous patterns. Also maybe Stanford and Yale on Thursday or Friday - though the latter might be a bit of a stretch. 

What else?

Michigan has to be this week, hopefully tomorrow. Columbia is a reasonable call, given the previous patterns. Also maybe Stanford and Yale on Thursday or Friday - though the latter might be a bit of a stretch. 

What else?

Money on Michigan. I don't think Yale and Stanford will send out offers Thursday or Friday, however. Both were slow historically. But Columbia and MIT definitely this week

What else?

MIT any day now, if past patterns hold.

What else?

I think Columbia is likely (my guess is Thurs/Fri). Several days ago someone from Stanford mentioned that the committee was meeting again this Thursday, so perhaps Friday, though early next week is also possible. MIT should definitely be any day now. 

I'm applying to grad school, not Wall Street.  If I had $20, I'd buy new socks and the slightly more expensive kind of macaroni and cheese.

I hear Annie's is pretty good ;)

I think Columbia is likely (my guess is Thurs/Fri). Several days ago someone from Stanford mentioned that the committee was meeting again this Thursday, so perhaps Friday, though early next week is also possible. MIT should definitely be any day now. 

Probably postal service again this year, y'all reckon?

I know a couple days/pages back, someone got into touch with UCLA and the response was that it was still a work in progress, but there has literally been no movement whatsoever from them. Are they basically waiting on an internal waitlist then, before notifying rejections officially? Oh whatever, just going to presume a rejection at this point then. :(