Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Isn't it strange how one rejection can make you (read: me) feel like the biggest loser ever? I know it wasn't personal etc., still feeling pretty bad currently. Might just curl up with some chocolate and a feel good movie at home! Any good coping strategies out there?

My coping strategy for bad days/disappointments/sadness is the same as yours: chocolate, feel-good movie/book, tea/hot cocoa/fishbowl of wine, a fluffy blanket, and a good session of feeling sorry for myself. Then, after I've let myself wallow for a day, I kick myself back out into the world and get back to it.

I've gone the whole way and convinced myself that I'm going to be rejected everywhere, so this plan is being enacted this weekend.

Edited by cupofnimbus

Congrats to all admits, Princeton is no joke.

That said, I got a rejection from them too. Ah well..

I appreciate that they accelerated things this year though, at least I don't have to wait another week or two only to get dinged by them.

Now that princeton has sent out decisions, I'm extra antsy. Even though this does not follow reason, it sort of feels like all of my other high stakes schools are going to come out one after another, rejecting me all within the span of one week  :unsure:  :(  :(  :(

Isn't it strange how one rejection can make you (read: me) feel like the biggest loser ever? I know it wasn't personal etc., still feeling pretty bad currently. Might just curl up with some chocolate and a feel good movie at home! Any good coping strategies out there?

I guess, I just have faith that a bigger blessing will come my way, even if I can neither understand nor see it yet. And you should, too! So definitely eat some chocolates. Not as a consolation strategy, but only as a reward for your achievements and for those to come.

Cautiously: this is perfect. I think we forget (myself included) that this process is only one part of our bigger story, and that we've made it this far is pretty phenomenal. 

I'm sending positive thoughts to all of you today. 

Edited by rchlm_618

And then someone came into my office to ask me to help with work stuff and I didn't get to feel bad for myself very long. 

Condolences to the rest of the Michigan Massacre of February 2014, and congratulations to the impending admits! (Um, SURELY there will be, right?)

Personally, I never quite imagined that I would cope well enough to live past 18, let alone gain admissions to Ph.D. programs at 25. 

^^^^^ This, this this, thank you so much for this, and everything else in there.

I'm pretty determined to be doing this thing I care about so much, however I have to go about doing it. So, even if I'm not thrilled with some aspects of my applications, I'm still going to give it a shot.

Edited by cupofnimbus

THRILLED to say I did not apply to Michigan. :D

I knew I was throwing money into the abyss, but it was the only program I applied to knowing that there was 150% zero chance I was going to be admitted. So, of course I had to give it a try!

Seems like MIT need extra time this year. On their website's FAQ, it used to say decisions by Feb 15th. Now it says:

"Are applications reviewed as they are received?

Applications are not reviewed until after the December 15th deadline. Admission decisions will be made in late February."

and below that the old version:

"When will I receive a decision from Political Science at MIT?

Decisions will be made in early February."