Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I think a current student here mentioned to expect something by the end  of the week? It seems that they sent out admits first last year, and then rejects a week later, so they might have meant that everyone will hear by the end of February, while some will hear earlier (?)

I mentioned it, and I heard from current grad student (not me) that they will make decisions this week. Will confirm that I didn't misunderstand today.

I think a current student here mentioned to expect something by the end  of the week? It seems that they sent out admits first last year, and then rejects a week later, so they might have meant that everyone will hear by the end of February, while some will hear earlier (?)

That's possible. I didn't provide my name when I called so there's really no way for me to know whether the POC (grad student affairs person) was giving me a timeline on the basis of whether I'd been admitted or not. She just said, "We'll notify everyone by March 15 and we're aiming for the end of February." I feel like if it was this week she'd have said, "we're starting to notify this week" or something to that effect, but maybe she didn't want her phone ringing off the hook. Who knows. 

I mentioned it, and I heard from current grad student (not me) that they will make decisions this week. Will confirm that I didn't misunderstand today.

Thanks. Maybe they are meeting this week but not releasing decisions until funding info becomes available, which is coming later (possibly)? Or maybe the woman I talked to was just being coy to get me off the phone (ha!) I guess we'll have to wait and see...

most people seem to get accepted at only some of the top programs, and it doesn't really seem to follow a clear pattern!

I was wondering about that. Seems like it's pretty rare for people to get into all of the top programs (the exception being cjalpha, who is getting in everywhere: To you I say both, 'Congratulations!' and, 'You suck.') But I'd be curious as to how common this is. 

Edited by packrat

Claiming rejections at Cornell and Princeton, a wait list at UNC, and admission at Michigan. Roller coaster two days. Congrats to everybody receiving news, good, bad, and otherwise; knowing beats not knowing.

Congrats on Michigan!

Well, today hurts, but at least I heard something from somewhere.  Rejected at: Emory, UT - Austin, UM, and Princeton.  ouch.  My already cynically qualified optimism is waning by the minute.  Congrats to all who got good news today; and a commiserating pat on the back to all who got bad news...

Edited by Chamberlain25

I just got a revised offer letter from UCSD. Tuition fully taken care of (UCSD is willing to cover the difference between my fellowship and their tuition), first two years without teaching, but departmental stipend on top of fellowship. At least some great news, after today's half-blood bath!

Thanks, xuejia!

I'm currently set to receive 37k the first year (including summer). I'll either ask them to transfer some of that to year 2 (3,4,5), or make that a more informal arrangement, since I don't wanna splurge first year, and then be a pauper. No idea how they came to their decisions, though!

I just got a revised offer letter from UCSD. Tuition fully taken care of (UCSD is willing to cover the difference between my fellowship and their tuition), first two years without teaching, but departmental stipend on top of fellowship. At least some great news, after today's half-blood bath!

CONGRATS! This is wonderful!  So in effect you get your fellowship funding as an "extra" - since you get both the stipend and the fellowship?  Great!

Columbia will be releasing decisions at the end of February. Called the dept yesterday.

Gah, so by the looks of it I won't be hearing back from any more schools for the next two weeks then. Thanks for reporting in!

And CONGRATS TO ALL THE RECENT ADMITS!!! :D

CONGRATS! This is wonderful!  So in effect you get your fellowship funding as an "extra" - since you get both the stipend and the fellowship?  Great!

I think this is hwat they did. They deducted the TAship (years 1+2) from my offer, but are still offering the same stipend for years 1 and 2.

Thanks, xuejia!

I'm currently set to receive 37k the first year (including summer). I'll either ask them to transfer some of that to year 2 (3,4,5), or make that a more informal arrangement, since I don't wanna splurge first year, and then be a pauper. No idea how they came to their decisions, though!

I would suggest you receive the funds and automatically transfer it into a fixed deposit interest bearing account that you can only drawdown from year 3.  This should be easy to arrange with a local bank via standing orders, etc.  Better to have the funds under your control than be subject to a state institution. Remember it's California!  Please pardon my paranoia.

I would suggest you receive the funds and automatically transfer it into a fixed deposit interest bearing account that you can only drawdown from year 3.  This should be easy to arrange with a local bank via standing orders, etc.  Better to have the funds under your control than be subject to a state institution. Remember it's California!  Please pardon my paranoia.

Is the state of California sketch? (I'm genuinely curious now!)

Claiming a Notre Dame acceptance.

In case this helps - Seems like a form e-mail. Funding etc. info came attached. IR subfield. Oh also, I didn't interview with them, just got the acceptance. So if you didn't get an interview that apparently doesn't mean anything. 

I noticed the University of Washington sent out some rejection notices via mass email. I was neither accepted nor officially rejected yet. Does this mean I've been wait-listed?

Hard to say, I emailed them yesterday and have yet to get a response.  Time will tell, I suppose.